Breastfeeding/pumping

Options
Hi there,
I am pumping about 30oz of milk a day give or take a few. How do i work that out on my diary? Do i just eat a little bit more than it says on my diary? Or do you think it would matter if i didn't eat more calories? Thanks x

Replies

• InigoAndTheVoid
    InigoAndTheVoid Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just googled this. Seems like making the breast milk is costing hundreds of calories a day. Probably log it as exercise and eat those calories.

Can't vouch for this link, but it seems to make sense form skimming it. http://www.phdinparenting.com/blog/2008/11/25/the-calories-and-breastfeeding-rollercoaster.html
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I would add between 300 and 500 extra calories a day. There's an entry in the food database for negative calories for breastfeeding.
  • MillyMooMummy1994
    MillyMooMummy1994 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and the link. I actually put breastfeeding into the food, clicked on one that then it added '500' calories to my daily amount for me without changing the number at the top. So my allowance was 1,200 it still says that and so does how many cals ive eaten but all logged is near on 1,700. X
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am pumping about 30oz of milk a day give or take a few. How do i work that out on my diary? Do i just eat a little bit more than it says on my diary? Or do you think it would matter if i didn't eat more calories? Thanks x

Just to add- awesome output and congrats! :)
  • MillyMooMummy1994
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just to add- awesome output and congrats! :)

Thank you! Its been hard keeping my supply up by pumping with a new baby and toddler in tow :) x x
  • roddom
    roddom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As a breastfeeding mum, u should definitely be eating more than u would if u were not bf, otherwise your milk supply could reduce or disappear. I can't remember the exact breakdown but it's something like one additional dairy serve, one carb, and one protein (don't quote me on that!). Maybe speak to your doctor about it, or research it yourself to determine exactly how much extra u need. U don't want to risk losing your supply by eating too few cals!!
    Great work btw... Breastfeeding is like running a marathon, it burns soooo many cals!!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and the link. I actually put breastfeeding into the food, clicked on one that then it added '500' calories to my daily amount for me without changing the number at the top. So my allowance was 1,200 it still says that and so does how many cals ive eaten but all logged is near on 1,700. X

Are you on your phone? I've been having trouble lately with the app not adding the calories to my daily total. I add 200 to breakfast and my breakfast section accurately gives extra calories but then the top total doesn't give me te extra calories. I was actually starving for like two weeks and I thought I was going over my calorie intake everyday but then it turns out the app just isn't working. It works on my computer though, which is really weird. I keep meaning to post in the help section somewhere
  • kristamcg89
    kristamcg89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love this
  • MillyMooMummy1994
    Options
    Yes im on my phone, might try popping onto the laptop. Will have to try research more, id hate to hurt my supply. I can't seem to figure out how many calories to have. Wish my weight would just drop off like they say it will after :(
    After my daughter i lost 3 stone ( tried very hard ) then i fell pregnant and im back up 3 stone :( x