Toes get tingly/numb on the elliptical?

Options
This is a weird problem. Every time I’m on the elliptical, my toes start to go tingly and numb. I have to pause and shake them out many times during a workout. It’s not debilitating, but it is really annoying. What the blankety-blank is going on?

Replies

• jbgibso3
    jbgibso3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    "One of the best ways to prevent or reduce numb toe is to simply make sure you pedal backwards every 20 minutes or so. Numb-toe is caused by constant pressure on the balls of your feet and toes. When you pedal backwards, the pressure moves to your heels, reducing the pressure on your little piggies." - See more at: https://www.lifefitness.com/blog/posts/the-ellipticals-1-enemy-numb-toe.html#sthash.cVrWf1G5.dpuf
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Shoes. Try loosening your laces a bit. If that doesn't help, you may need better shoes.
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Glad it's not just me.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I get this also with my new shoes.

I would say shoes, simply because that's the only thing that changed with me. I'm just ignoring it lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Unlike running or walking where feet are relieved of constant pressure, peoples' feet don't usually leave the pedals. So the nerve under the ball of your foot gets compressed and like sitting on your leg, can start to fall asleep. Hence the numbing/tingling feeling. Shoes MAY help, but usually lifting your foot off every few minutes or so, or switching to your heels while lifting your toes off the pedals will help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Lace your shoes to skip a couple of holes where the laces would normally cross over the arch. I've seen this simple thing make huge changes for numerous people.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Usually too tight of shoes is the culprit.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I'd go with constant pressure on the balls of your feet. A good pair of running shoes provide more cushion than your average cross-trainer or a plain old lifting shoe. You might just have sensitive tushies and need more padding. I use the elliptical too but I press with my entire foot instead of pressing from a more tip-toed position.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I workout at home barefoot/in socks and this still happens so I'm guessing it's not the shoes. Like a previous poster mentioned, take the pressure off of your foot every once and awhile. It really helps!