Fish!

Options
Nearly all my meals are based around fish and I eat chicken maybe once a week at the most. Would be considered healthy?

Replies

• zbakrjc
    zbakrjc Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just be careful not to eat too much stuff caught in the ocean. You can get mercury poisoning from what I understand. I try to eat farm raised salmon more than Atlantic salmon.

zbakrjc
  • katieleggett_321
    katieleggett_321 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    All our fish is from a merchant and caught in the Indian Ocean. Would this be a bad thing?
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The main concern with fish is mercury. My main protein/meat source is fish as well. It mainly depends on type/size of fish. Large predatory fish like shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish all typically have high levels of mercury. I would eat these only occasionally

Salmon, anchovies, herring, sardines, trout, and Atlantic and pacific mackerel on the other hand, are low in mercury and high in omega 3 fatty acids (which is good).
    I personally buy a lot of salmon and farm raised tilapia. It's relatively inexpensive.
  • katieleggett_321
    Options
    I get tuna steak, sea bass and salmon usually. Not a fan of meat and don't want to go vegetarian.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Fish-2-3-WA-chart.jpg

Here's a chart with different mercury levels.
  • katieleggett_321
    Options
    Little bit gutted about this :(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Anything I've read up until today about mercury levels are for the waters around North America. The absolute worst was Swordfish from the Gulf of Mexico. Basically, any fish that mucks around on the ocean floor or eats other fish (higher up on the food chain) will have higher levels of mercury.

BUT you have to eat a freak load of fish every week to get anywhere near dangerous levels.

Here's a study from the Indian Ocean.

"The muscular Hg levels presented here suggest that consumers of fish originating from the Western Indian Ocean should limit themselves to one Swordfish based meal per week, or one fish meal a day if they choose to eat tuna or Common Dolphinfish." http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969706001124
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love fish also. Maybe consider fresh water fish as a balance.