Not losing weight

Options
Despite only eating 1200 calories per day and significantly increasing my exercise I am not losing weight! It's awfully hard to continue when I am doing everything right! Any thoughts out there?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Not enough info given

How long have you been trying to lose?
    What are your stats?
    What are you settings set at?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Change your focus.

Put the scale away and focus on diet and exercise goals.

Are you eating plenty of veggies?
    Are you drinking plenty of water?
    Are you getting enough protein?

What kind of exercise are you doing? If cardio, how can you make it better? If strength, set a goal for lifting more. If flexibility, work towards a pose...

For example, I currently have a goal of being able to go up a couple hundred stairs in one go, without resting. I also get 8k steps a day, not including dance.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    k0pplcov8bqy.jpg
    1200 is usually far too few for most people, so even though it seems counter productive, run your stats through the MFP calorie calculator being HONEST (if you're sedentary, don't choose active just because you get up to get coffee), and eat those calories, and part of your workout calories. Depending on how much you have to lose will also depend on how much you should be setting your loss at (ie 50 pds you may want to be at 1 or .5 pd a week loss).

Check out the most helpful posts and really read them, good info in them - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest
  • KellyBrown15
    KellyBrown15 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I do want to share some useful facts which did worked for me. I’ve realized that just exercising is really useless if you don’t take extra actions –> diets. After wasting time, looking for the ‘’magic method’’, ‘’magic pill’’ I did found that diet works best for me. I was hooked up seeing some people transformation losing fat so fast, so decided to do some analysing. Separating and testing useful from useless I did found that fit me the most is 3 week diet program. How did I found it? Well, after spending hours I did found detailed review of this method and gave it a go. I was really amazed seeing first result just after 1 week!! If you want to read more about it go here www.fitnessdietshealth.com