Not so normal abs?

Options
Okay...so this is kind of a lengthy issue but Im gonna get right down to it. I was born without the lower half of my sternum and therefore without abdominal muscles or the lower half of my ribcage (gross I know but I promise Im not scary). When I was younger I had my ribs reconstructed and from what I understand they "pulled" my obliques to serve as my abdominal muscles. Therefore I literally have NO ABS- I know I will never have a six pack but I am not always sure what exercises are appropriate. I'm not going for fancy looks here but I have always had a poochy belly and I want to get rid of it.

Any doctors or physio people out there with some clue as to what would be the most effective exercise tool? Trust me I have asked my Cardiologist/Surgeons/Physicians and they are just generally happy to have me doing ANY kind of exercise.

Thanks a million.

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Well really you are talking about stripping away the fat while toning.... any cardio will start getting rid of the fat. To tone the underlying muscle, I guess you'd have to go with what you can feel doing the work, without hurting yourself. After all, its nearly impossible to reccommend something when we are made differently!

Things like plank, sit ups, side raises etc will all help, but only if you are not going to injure yourself. You might think about getting something like Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack, as it has a wide variety of abs exercises from which you could work out which works for you and adapt it as you require xxx
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My husband had gastrossechis (spelled wrong) when he was born, and has no belly button and a big scar down his stomach. He only gets those top abs and fights with the little "pouch" because of the scar... You can not "spot reduce" and loose fat in any one particular area, but to tone the muscles you can do certain workouts aimed at the core... perfer. lower abdominal area.. but if you literally don't have the muscles there I am not sure if any of that would even work for you, I am not a doctor though, but through the experiences with my husband, he hasn't been able to get rid of that "pooch" even though his top abs are rock hard...
  • defygravity0915
    Options
    Well really you are talking about stripping away the fat while toning.... any cardio will start getting rid of the fat. To tone the underlying muscle, I guess you'd have to go with what you can feel doing the work, without hurting yourself. After all, its nearly impossible to reccommend something when we are made differently!

Things like plank, sit ups, side raises etc will all help, but only if you are not going to injure yourself. You might think about getting something like Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack, as it has a wide variety of abs exercises from which you could work out which works for you and adapt it as you require xxx

Thanks a million! Doc's have cleared me to do all and any types of exercise - but I know others says ab workouts are rough...planks it is! :sad:
  • defygravity0915
    Options
    My husband had gastrossechis (spelled wrong) when he was born, and has no belly button and a big scar down his stomach. He only gets those top abs and fights with the little "pouch" because of the scar... You can not "spot reduce" and loose fat in any one particular area, but to tone the muscles you can do certain workouts aimed at the core... perfer. lower abdominal area.. but if you literally don't have the muscles there I am not sure if any of that would even work for you, I am not a doctor though, but through the experiences with my husband, he hasn't been able to get rid of that "pooch" even though his top abs are rock hard...

Im afraid its just how I "built" now and I just wanted to see if there was anyone with more knowledge/experience. My natural obliques are pretty sweet. I also don't have a bellybutton and while I can definitely feel the muscle under there - I never feel like there's much progress. Thanks!
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with your situation, so take this with a grain of salt, but have you tried something like Pilates? You might need to speak to a physiologist or someone for modifications that will work for you, but it's a thought.