The Arnold press

Options
Having trouble getting a good pump on shoulder day? Try the Arnold press. I find this a very effective exercise to really fire up those front and lateral delts. It's a slight variation from the typical shoulder press, but in my opinion is more effective in terms of muscle use and the ability to use heavier weight to really stack mass on those shoulders. Link below my friends!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/arnold-dumbbell-press

Replies

• missfally
    missfally Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I am going to try this!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Staple in my shoulder workout!
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Love this one- always do it alongside barbell OHP. Definitely one of my favorites!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't get much from that one. Now the Scott Press (also known as the W Press, not to be confused with Larry Scott's press) gets me.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I've done Arnold Press for years and it's great for the front delts but doesn't hit the side as well for me as just doing side laterals. I've tried W Presses too but without it really killing me.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It's a nice twist and break from shoulder press. Know of anything as effective or fundamental as side lateral raises? BB.com had this interesting article by Kris Gethin on using plates only on shoulder exercises; looks interesting as well
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Much easier on thr shoulder joints than a barbell.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Love Arnold presses. Also, for calves...Arnold never wore shoes, so you get more up/down movement of calves
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I used to like them. Now I stay away from any shoulder rotation. I may do them again one day with really light weight. Kind of reminds me of the rotation people do when using those plastic pushup things. I can't remember the name but my chiropractor says business has improved for him since they came out.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    My shoulders respond to more simple movements. Luckily press, bench, and Inc DB had given more than enough muscle mass.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    I used to like them. Now I stay away from any shoulder rotation. I may do them again one day with really light weight. Kind of reminds me of the rotation people do when using those plastic pushup things. I can't remember the name but my chiropractor says business has improved for him since they came out.

The perfect push up? I've never known anyone to have issues using those.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

Yes, what an ironic name.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Know of anything as effective or fundamental as side lateral raises?

That is probably the best for lateral deltoid growth. Especially a machine lateral raise, which eliminates the grip & forearm muscles from the equation.. plus it has a smoother resistance curve (it doesn't get harder on the way up).

Of course, the Arnold Press will always be more popular.. because of the name Arnold. ;)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

Yeah aren't they designed in away to prevent elbow flare in order to bring in as much pec involvement as possible? It has to be from people going way to wide and putting the stress on their delts. The same as inexperienced lifters on bench press.

• lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Funny I just added it to my shoulder workout this morning and liked it.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I love the Arnold press. I throw it in right after barbell OHP.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't get much from that one. Now the Scott Press (also known as the W Press, not to be confused with Larry Scott's press) gets me.

Yup. That one will kill your ego. Lol

But yea, Arnold press is a staple for me. Comes right after push press/OHP
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Love the Arnold press.

Love working shoulders in general.

Anyone here done the DLB Quad Set in their shoulder routine? It hurts so good...