Jarred Spaghetti Sauce

Options
RejsGirl
RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
Can anyone recommend a good spaghetti sauce when losing weight? Something lower sugar, lower sodium, but still tastes good?

TIA!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    Sugar will not affect your fat loss if you stay within your calorie goal, and sodium while it may cause water retention, it will have zero affect on fat loss. Just pick whatever one you like the flavor of an log it.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    my husband makes his own sauce using canned crushed tomatoes - he adds olive oil, fresh garlic, and basil. Sometimes he adds mushrooms. He cooks it in the crockpot all day.

If it were up to me, I'd make it fat free by eliminating the olive oil, but I have to admit his sauce is really, really good. I crave it every now it and then :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Classico spicy red pepper, the bomb
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I really like this one

VkUt3GB.jpg

Half a cup serving is 40 calories, 240mg sodium, 1g sugar

Ingredients: Imported Italian San Marzano tomatoes, tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt, basil, white pepper, black pepper.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There is a brand called Newman's here in Canada no salt added I believe. I think the best is to go spend a little time in the sauce area and compare labels.

I love to bulk my jarred sauce up with lots of bell peppers mushrooms and freeze dried italian seasoning. (No sodium)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Francesco Rinaldi ToBe Healthy sauces
    Prego Light Smart or Heartsmart lines
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We use Mid's. I have no idea what the salt or sugar contents are though.
  • kledmons
    kledmons Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get the Hunts canned tomatoes with basil and purée it.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Costco used to sell a really good marinara sauce that was sugar free, 40 cals. But then they changed the recipe or supplier and I got major butthurt as the calories almost doubled. So I just make it myself now. It is really easy to make your own sauce. Just need tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, fresh or dried herbs, a touch of olive oil and salt. Nom!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    This is not a jarred sauce but I love this recipe and it's incredibly easy to make. (Skip the zest if you're short on time.) Plus it's great on pizza or pasta.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/five-minute-tomato-sauce-recipe.html
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    http://www.raos.com/premium-sauce-cases

I like this brand. A bit pricey though, at least in Canada.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Newmans Own is great marinara. It's got a splash of red wine in it and I think it's yummy!!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I really like this one

VkUt3GB.jpg

Half a cup serving is 40 calories, 240mg sodium, 1g sugar

Ingredients: Imported Italian San Marzano tomatoes, tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt, basil, white pepper, black pepper.

Good tomatoes and no added sugar - sounds like they got it right.

I never even look at jarred sauce because so many are so sweet and just not good. I completely ruined 2 large pans of lasagna many years ago by using jarred sauce as a shortcut. Me and my kids couldn't stand to eat it because it was like a tomato dessert - neighborhood kids loved it. I had a yard full of kids sitting around eating massive pieces of lasagna off paper plates. :D

I mix plain no salt added tomato sauce or paste with some basil, oregano, fresh minced garlic, salt and pepper for a very basic but delicious sauce. Sometimes I let an anchovy or 3 melt into the sauce as it cooks - it's so good and you'd never know that's what the flavor is from. I also like to add paprika sometimes if making a meat sauce - then it's more of a goulash but it's so good. Fresh diced tomatoes are best but only in season.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want, in a measured portion that fits within your calorie goal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh I like them all. Still much cheaper to buy a jar of sauce than to make my own too, considering how expensive tomatoes are.

I tried Prego's low sodium 'heartsmart' and the second jar has been sitting in the pantry for months because it's just not good.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    A lot of the low sodium, low sugar jarred sauces just aren't that good but it all depends on your particular tastes.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I never find one I like, but I don't want to make it when I want sauce, so I just make triple jar sized batches and freeze them. We always have one in the fridge.
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the recommendations!! Much appreciated!
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I like trader joe's brand which is about 60 or so calories. It's only $1.99 and taste pretty good and not sweet at all.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I make my own. WITH the ground turkey meat, it comes to 124 calories per serving. Tastes so much better than out of a jar, too.