protein powder to fight hunger?

Options
I am on a low-carb diet and rely a lot on protein to keep me feeling full. I have been looking into protein powders as a between-meal snack or maybe even as a meal replacement. Then I was told that if I'm not working out I will get fat from doing this. Does anybody have a knowledge base on this topic?

Replies

• findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes every day. You get fat from excess calories, not protein....
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    After my morning workout, I make a protein shake with protein powder, almond milk, and flax seed meal. Between the protein and the fiber, I feel full and satisfied for four hours (recess time, since I'm a teacher).
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    I read somewhere too much protein could be converted into fat. I can't remember which book/article I read it from (maybe The Primal Blueprint), so I apologize if I don't have a source to cite. It is just something I retained in my memory.

But in any case, I always believe in calculating your protein needs. This link will tell you how to calculate your protein intake based on your weight and daily activity. I try to get in extra protein on my work out days. I use Jay Robb's whey protein powder and I drink it after my work out.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

Good Luck.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Obviously working out will help with the changes in protein because it will help in muscle rebuilding, but I can't imagine it causing you to get fat since most are about 130 calories and low in fat and sugars. They are not meal replacements though, I think you may be better off looking at something like slim fast for that if you're not doing any strength training.
  • apfeiff
    apfeiff Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I think I will try it and if it helps with hunger I'm sure it will be worth it...