Not enough strength/stamina to make workout productive

Options
I've started doing Jillian Michaels DVDs for 30-60 minutes every morning. I have a veggie shake made with almond milk and a scoop of protein powder, usually around 200 calories. I'm not usually a breakfast eater, but am trying to fuel myself before my workout. Problem is, I don't have much energy and stamina to get through the workout productively. Also, feel like the shake is sloshing around inside even after an hour of letting it digest:-/ what is a good way to fuel before a workout, while still low in calories and not going to fill me up? I still want to be able to have breakfast post-workout without blowing my calories for the a.m. In fact, I feel I need to eat pretty soon afterwards. Thanks for any tips!

Replies

• LookingforWhatsHerName
    Options
    Are you sure you need to eat at all? You might try just skipping your shake altogether and eating shortly after your workout. I do an extremely intense workout on Saturday mornings and don't always eat first. On days when I feel hungry before I workout I eat a piece of toast with a smudge of PB (10 grams or so) or some avocado. Keep it light and carby, I would say. Also, if it's possible you might try moving your workout to another time of day if you're finding yourself low on energy in the morning. I much prefer to workout in the afternoon, personally.
  • karrling
    karrling Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It depends on when you are eating after workouts. If it is more towards lunch time then you might want to consider eating breakfast after all because without eating you probably won't have much energy in the first place to workout. I know you don't want to blow all your calories away in the morning, but going without breakfast isn't always the best. If you start eating at least a small breakfast every morning, it will grow on you and give you that extra energy needed.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Something easily digestible. Banana is ideal for me.

Before morning workouts I rarely eat. Coffee, water, go. I tend to eat a large dinner later at night though, so in the AM I am "fueled up" but everything is digested.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Some carb + protein like Egg & toast. If you eat a little more before, maybe you won't need as much after. It also depends what your current fitness level is. It might take awhile to build up to the intensity of the DVD.