Fasting?

Options
Hey guys,
So recently my sister told me of an article that explained the benefits of fasting. (Not starving) I was intrigued and decided to check it out. Turns out, (according to the health websites I visited) fasting releases the body of toxins and can promote weight loss. This all sounds very promising, however, I would rather hear from regular people about the subject because some professionals do have an agenda.
So my questions are:
How often and how long should you fast?
Why do you fast?
Is it beneficial to your health?

Any other questions to address this subject would be awesome! :smile:

Replies

• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    www.LeanGains.com has tons of terrific scientific info on it.

Martin is a bad bad bad man, trust what he says! 16 hour daily Intermittent Fast. (I.F.) I do it daily and have gotten more and more lean with no decreases in strength or muscle size.
  • saveeggscracksmiles
    Options
    What is fasting..? 0.0
  • iceysavannah
    Options
    The only time I have heard of fasting is for spiritual purposes but, of course, I haven't tried every diet under the sun. To me it seems fasting would be the same as not getting enough calories in a day and could risk putting yourself into "starvation mode" if done frequently.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I personally am against it. It's never a good idea to deprive yourself of needed nutrients for days on end.. (even 1 or 2 days) people 'loose the weight' because there is no food to get nutrients from, so it takes from the body.. sure it sounds like a good weight loss additive but IMO, not a healthy way to go. If you don't eat for a certain time, the next time you do, your body is going to hold on to ALL of it because it doesn't know when the next time it will get food.

I say, just eat right and exercise and give yourself a healthy calorie deficit and the weight will come off. :)
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    The only time I have heard of fasting is for spiritual purposes but, of course, I haven't tried every diet under the sun. To me it seems fasting would be the same as not getting enough calories in a day and could risk putting yourself into "starvation mode" if done frequently.

Same here.
  • Monica Reinagel is a supremely switched on lady!
    her blog is fantastic!

read this:
    http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/benefits-of-fasting.aspx
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I asked my doctor and he said depending on how your body is it takes 1-3 days of fasting to go into starvation mode. So if you fast for a day it wont kill ya.