A question regarding protein powders

Options
Ok I've always associated these with body builders and people that want to bulk up muscles. I have never thought to incorporate it as part of a weight loss program. Do people use it to fill up, similar to Atkins diet where more protein equals less hunger?

When I have had a look they seem pretty high in calories, although I have only glanced at them.

I'm considering getting some but they are quite expensive and always depict buff men on the front, which kinda put me off! I don't want to be a beefcake!

Replies

• Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Ah, reading an article online it probably will be a good thing for me. The more I exercise the hungrier I am and I get annoyed with myself for having a bigger appetite. I don't eat a lot of protein in my diet anyway as I'm not the biggest fan of meat/eggs etc.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Protein helped me break a plateau. I have THREE shakes a day and the extra protein keeps me super full so im not reaching for food thats not good for me! Plus, it helps me after working out so I dont feel so sore after!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    They are used my people usually after a workout to help repair muscles or for people who don't get enough protein in their usual diet. You won't bulk up - the reason why bodybuilders use them too is because you need so much more protein when you weight train and it helps with muscle growth - you need to train hard and eat alot as well to bulk up, protein powders don't do this on their own. Also, as a woman you don't have the hormones needed to look like a huge man.

I use "gold standard 100% whey" it has 110-130 cals a scoop depending on the flavour, 1-3g carbs, around 1g fat and 24g protein. Really easy to drink and nice tasting too with just water.
    It does fill you up a bit more so can be used to keep you going until your next meal, or used as well as a meal. I usually have one with breakfast, one after a workout, and one before bed.
  • stoneman1970
    stoneman1970 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I take about 25grams of pea protein a day to give me a fighting chance to survive the day. Protein is the key can't survive without it.
    Why don't you have a couple of poached eggs to get you started - believe me you will notice the difference. The fitness plan gives you a guide amount of protein per day. Hope that helps.
  • Picola1984
    Options
    Thank you very much for the quick responses, off out shopping soon so now I know the reasons buy some.

Now to choose some flavours!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    They are used my people usually after a workout to help repair muscles or for people who don't get enough protein in their usual diet. You won't bulk up - the reason why bodybuilders use them too is because you need so much more protein when you weight train and it helps with muscle growth - you need to train hard and eat alot as well to bulk up, protein powders don't do this on their own. Also, as a woman you don't have the hormones needed to look like a huge man.

I use "gold standard 100% whey" it has 110-130 cals a scoop depending on the flavour, 1-3g carbs, around 1g fat and 24g protein. Really easy to drink and nice tasting too with just water.
    It does fill you up a bit more so can be used to keep you going until your next meal, or used as well as a meal. I usually have one with breakfast, one after a workout, and one before bed.

I use the same brand, and its the only stuff I can handle drinking LOL!!!
  • Tonekupone
    Tonekupone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just a side note, there are a few differences between Whey Protein Powders. They can come in a concentrate and isolate forms and the main difference is the way they are processed. I should warn you before you start a Whey Protein regime if you have any kind of sensitivity toward lactose you should definitely use the Whey Protein Isolate as it has lower levels of lactose and fat which is easier on the stomach. As for taste I prefer Chocolate over most other flavors or you could always just hold your nose while drinking it :wink:
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    You can get flavorless Whey protein that you can add to almost any food without noticing
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    I love my protein shakes too! had a week without then and deffinitely noticed the difference.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Ok I've always associated these with body builders and people that want to bulk up muscles. I have never thought to incorporate it as part of a weight loss program. Do people use it to fill up, similar to Atkins diet where more protein equals less hunger?

When I have had a look they seem pretty high in calories, although I have only glanced at them.

I'm considering getting some but they are quite expensive and always depict buff men on the front, which kinda put me off! I don't want to be a beefcake!

The only protein powder I trust, http://www.t-nation.com/store/supplements/metabolic-drive-low-carb.jsp

It's low carb and lower calorie so it won't significantly impact your calories. Plus, because it's low carb and low fat you can add fruit, oatmeal, whatever you want to it, or just drink it as is. It tastes pretty decent too compared to most.
  • Picola1984
    Options
    I decided to get one called Maxitone Definity for women. It tastes pretty nice actually, in chocolate.

One 30g scoop per 200ml of water is 120 kcal and 2g of fat. I compared it to another with green tea in and it was lower in calories and sugar.

All the others were too expensive. I refuse to spend nearly £50 on something I'm just trying out for now. This one was £18

How long is it until I notice any benefits from drinking it? I hope my appetite will lesson and maybe feeling not as knackered after a work out
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options
    ive tryed protien shakes ive never lost much weight on them ecept for the first time i tryed them. apparently the best ones to use have hodedia in them that suppresses the appitie. personally id rather learn to eat properly.
  • ShannonBas
    ShannonBas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about protein powders as well. I was interested in maybe using them as a meal supplement. :heart: