Using weight lifting gloves on an elliptical?

Options
I have joined a gym after 4 wonderful years of working out at home to Turbo Jam. A great deal came up ($99 for a 1-year membership + 1 free personal training session) and since leaving the house will keep me out of the kitchen, I thought I’d go for it.

Whenever I’m on vacation I enjoy using the elliptical machines in hotels but I find it is guaranteed that I get a blister and a couple of calices after just one workout. They go away but this discomfort causes me to no longer use the handles. It would be great to maintain that upper body workout so I was thinking about purchasing some weight lifting gloves. I figured they would comfort my hands on the elliptical bars the same way as lifting weights.

I just wanted to see if others have done the same. Perhaps my understanding of what weight lifting gloves do for your hands is incorrect, maybe they just keep the sweat away to prevent you from dropping the weight and don’t cushion at all.

This is the pair I will probably get. Good price, 1 year exchange warranty and is actually an individual fingered glove (unlike some cheapies on ebay that just have 2 holes for 2 fingers).

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/4/FitnessWellness/WeightsAccessories/PRD~0840728P/Tempo%2BWeight%2BLifting%2BGloves.jsp?locale=en

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    it seems like overkill to have all that padding for just the elliptical. I wear gloves but that is because I lift and those bars tear up my hands. Have you considered cycling gloves. Often those are lighter. Just a thought.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    it seems like overkill to have all that padding for just the elliptical. I wear gloves but that is because I lift and those bars tear up my hands. Have you considered cycling gloves. Often those are lighter. Just a thought.

I have no doubt I will looks a little odd for sure ;)

I'll look into cycling gloves as well. They seem to be the same cost and at least with the weight lifting gloves I can use them for weights after cardio but thank you for the suggestion.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I have no doubt I will looks a little odd for sure ;)

I'll look into cycling gloves as well. They seem to be the same cost and at least with the weight lifting gloves I can use them for weights after cardio but thank you for the suggestion.
    I'd go to a place like Sports Authority, try different styles on, then go online and look for them cheaper. good luck.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Bumping my own post for a 2nd opinion. Thanks!
  • Merolyn
    Options
    How are you using the handles to get that damage? Do you still get blisters when you hold the anchored (as opposed to the moving) handles?
    Maybe some cotton gloves would be good to try first.
    I use the cross trainer (elliptical) every time i visit the gym and have never had a problem. I notice some women are using gloves in the gym but mainly with other machines and rougher handles.
  • jenn_18
    Options
    My gym has the anchored handles and I just dont use them. I run on them as if I were running outside, arms swinging and all, just without the impact. I find I get a better workout that way and my balance and coordination has improved a lot.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you dont hold onto the machine you will work your core!! try it :flowerforyou:
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Yea, that's what I've been doing (just working the core and running enjoying little to no impact like you 2 ladies). I feel like the odd ball out doing that but I guess I’m not completely crazy if you guys do the same. I’m just going to continue then. I’ll move my arms like running of course. The bars may be a more unnatural movement anyway and calories burned don’t appear to change. If anything you can go longer not using the handles and I can work arms another day. Thank you!
  • dj722
    dj722 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yay!! I'm happy I'm not the only one! I thought I must be doing something wrong. Idk about you but I'm a sweater, so I'm sure the moist skin and the rough texture of the handles has a lot to do with it. Will definitely try not holding on to the swinging arms anymore. Thanks!!
  • Tyler2020Mike
    Tyler2020Mike Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use my bare hands, and nothing has happened to them, then again I'm told, I have "bear hands." I've thought about using gloves, b/c everyone around me use them.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about looking silly because the gym is not a place to be looking pretty :wink: If using the gloves work then i would use them.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What djspacecaptain said: I do not look great at the end of my gym session, but then again who does :-)

Seriously though, if the glove thing works for you then why not. After all its your gym session, so you do what you need to do. Also I find folks don't really bother about what others are wearing or doing as they are too focussed on their routines - or at least they should be! :-)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Do you wear rings while you workout? I never wear my jewelry to the gym. I don't use weight lifting gloves when I lift, and only have one callus on my left hand. Really it's from my wedding rings being on the mouse at work all day, not the lifting.
    Rather than gloves, I'd put baby powder on my hands before exercise. Dry skin doesn't blister. I even put it on my toes when I wear certain dress shoes.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you dont hold onto the machine you will work your core!! try it :flowerforyou:

Which aspect of the Core does it work?
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @Sam_I_Am77 it works your core by having to keep your balance. I'm not skilled enough for this adventure yet lol.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    if they help, do it!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You really don't need lifting gloves period. Over time your hands will strengthen from the weights and the gloves have even been shown to cause uneven pressure across your hands. Just throw some chalk on and call her a day.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    You really don't need lifting gloves period. Over time your hands will strengthen from the weights and the gloves have even been shown to cause uneven pressure across your hands. Just throw some chalk on and call her a day.

I think her problem was with rubbing causing blisters which is probably likely if she sweats a lot and chalk isn't made to absorb sweat, just to prevent slippage during a lift. I don't use the handles when I use the elliptical because my gyms machines have stationary bars that have the HRM on them so I can keep track of my heart rate. The problem could be from gripping the bar too tightly as a way to control your balance. Who cares if you wear gloves on the elliptical if it works for what you need them for.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't use the handles. They seem so awkward and I don't get anything out of it
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I have some fingerless yoga gloves (the are thin and have little nubbies on the palm area) ....inexpensive and might be just enough to help keep your hands from getting irritated.