Carrying items while you run?

Options

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Flipbelt!

I love it. Super comfortable, doesn't budge from where I put it on my hips, and there's room for my keys, phone, gloves if I need them, gels or whatever, and money (I don't carry water, but on long runs, more than about ten miles for me, I usually stop halfway and buy a bottle.)

A lot of my stuff doesn't have pockets, so this is easiest and most comfortable.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't like to run with anything around my waist, so I carry a Nathan handheld water bottle. It's 10 oz, which is usually enough for my long runs, unless it's hot out, then I just stop by a water fountain and refill. It has a small pouch that fits my key and fuel if I am using it. It fits comfortably in the palm of my hand. It's all I have ever used.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I have a Nathan 5k waist band that I put my phone and keys in. I have an amphipod waist belt that has a 20 oz bottle on it that I take on runs of 10+ miles. But I find I don't really need water at less than that.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Never carry water but when its hot and going for a long run I make sure I know where the water fountains are. I also stash some money or a debit card in my phone arm band. On race day I have an expandable little pack for keys and gummy bears, ID etc. The expandable part is nice because it keeps stuff from rattling around.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I put a key in my pocket.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I do 5K's and after last year I now run with as little as possible. There are water stations. There's also this:

pink_stuff-900x600.jpg
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Shorts with zipper pockets! I store ID, keys, gels, money, etc. in there.
    I carry water in a hand held bottle; 10 oz for chilly or shorter runs, 18 oz for longer or warmer ones.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Buy a velcro arm strap for your cellphone/debit cards/ ID for long runs etc...
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    In the past I have used a belt for water on longer runs, I never carry food. I leave my phone behind. For short runs I used to tie my key to my shoe laces.
  • tessajae21
    tessajae21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stash my id & keys (sometimes cash) in a zipper pocket on my clothes. For longer runs (8+ miles), I'll carry gels in a waist belt. I usually carry a water bottle for longer runs, which I hate, but I hate more not having water when I need it. Sometimes I'll leave a bottle at my car and just loop past my car a couple of times. I leave my phone behind.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I HATE wearing water belts, but I found a small Nathan 10oz handheld that works awesome! I only take it on runs of 10 miles or longer, otherwise I run without a thing. Sometimes I will wear a small belt to tuck in some energy blocks or a key/ID on longer runs. I definitely am of the mind the less stuff you can bring, the better.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My runs are usually under 5 miles so I don't carry water. I take:

- my phone (stuffed in my left boob between my sports bra and my regular bra - classy I know)
    - my keys and my keycard, which works as ID if I get hit by a bus or something or just need to get groceries on my way home, in the little pocket at the back of my running pants

and off I go!
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I run the trails with an inexpensive and small fanny pack from Walmart and a handheld water bottle from Ultimate Direction. In the fanny I have more than enough room for a phone, keys and nutrition for 12-18 miles.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i use a waterproof spibelt for short runs to carry keys and phone
    i use a sunhiker for long runs

neither bounce or chafe so that's nice.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Don't carry my phone on runs. If it's a warm day and I'm planning on going further than 10k I'll wear my water-belt. It has a couple of small water bottles, and a pouch that will take a key and a couple of Shot Bloks. I also wear a Road ID wristband.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I carry a single key in my pocket and iPhone in a pocket but I hate having a water bottle in my hand.

Anyone have suggestions for a good belt that holds one bottle of water - preferably in the middle back?
  • Brynne_Kathryn
    Brynne_Kathryn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I do 5K's and after last year I now run with as little as possible. There are water stations. There's also this:

pink_stuff-900x600.jpg

I have a Flip Belt and it's the most handy fitness accessory EVER. I also use it like a fanny pack when I go to local events so I don't have to carry a purse. I'm kicking myself for not taking it to Orlando on my honeymoon.
  • Brynne_Kathryn
    Brynne_Kathryn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention, on the FlipBelt website they also have a wider version for bigger phones that also has a zipper pocket. My original belt holds my iPhone 6 just fine, but with my OtterBox on it it's an occasional struggle because the silicone is grippy. They also sell thin rectangular waterbottles that are designed to go inside the belt!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you the last time I carried something on a run... probably when I was out of town and carried my phone for the maps/nav. I just carried it in my hand. Like a normal person. On the occasion that I need to take a gel with me, I usually have zippered pocket in the back of my shorts that works.

Running without a lot of nonsense is wonderful. Less is more. I realize not everyone can do that, can run with nothing... but I highly recommend people think really hard about what they actually NEED.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm so old school. I just use the good old fanny pack.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png