Running

Options
Is running an effective way to lose weight and tone up? And does anyone have any good running plans I can follow? Or the best way to lose weight with running?

Replies

• SugarBear617
    SugarBear617 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k. I also recommend going to a running store and have them look at your stride and fitting for shoes.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eat a healthy combination of lean meats, fruits, veggies, and starches and grains, while exercising in a way that you enjoy.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I love the Couch to 5k plan, I'm using the ZenLabs app and halfway through. It's a really good way to ease into running.

For losing weight, you just need to eat fewer calories than you burn. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, though exercising will certainly enable you to eat more since you're burning more.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Yes and I would get a book on running to start with. I used Runner's World Complete Book of Running.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it can help you lose weight. but you cannot outrun a bad diet.
    c25k is an awesome way to get started. i used it to start last year and now i'm signed up to do a half marathon.
    make sure you go to a running store and get properly fitted for shoes. it can be more expensive but cheaper than a doctors visit.
    i have the runner's world cookbook too. it helps me eat less calories and but get full nutrition
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Is running an effective way to lose weight and tone up? And does anyone have any good running plans I can follow? Or the best way to lose weight with running?

You lose weight via a caloric deficit. You tone up by picking heavy things up, and putting them down. You improve cardiovascular fitness by running.

For a starter plan, I'd check out the C25K program like others have recommended.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years, former track athlete. C25K is def the way to start, also with a decent pair of shoes, invest...and keep in mind that no amount of running will help you fix poor food choices.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about energy balance (i.e. overall calories). Eat fewer cals than your body burns and you'll lose weight. You don't need to run to do it. Heck, you don't even need to exercise to lose weight. But exercise can help with weight loss, not to mention there are a number of non-weight related benefits to exercise.
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yes, running is a great way to lose weight but you must improve your diet. 90% of fitness is in the kitchen. The other 10 you pay for thru sweat and tears.

Couch to 5k is a good start plan. Go get fitted at a specialty running store. Not footlocker or some mall joint.