Do women use MFP while pregnant?

Options
I've logged into MFP consistently for a little while, and I see that what I eat actually matters in terms of what I weigh. AMAZING, right?

I want to have another baby someday, but first, I am working on getting to a healthy weight because I feel that is super important for me.

When I do get pregnant again, can I track my needed calories while pregnant? Has anyone else tracked calories while pregnant?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    You can you set your calorie target manually in MFP, the wizard setup doesn't take pregnancy into account.. You should discuss your nutritional needs while pregnant with the doctor to see if you can determine the right level. I would expect you would have to adjust the target several times during the pregnancy.
  • brekober
    brekober Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would! I'd set my goal to maintenance and go from there. Obviously I'd also talk to my dr but if I remember right you don't need extra calories the first trimester and you only need 200-300 more in the second and third.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I did yes (I was a surrogate for my sister last year). I lost a bit of weight in the first trimester and then gained in second and third. But I only gained around 20lb overall and my niece weighed 8lb 15oz so a lot of that was baby, placenta etc.

I stuck to around 1600 calories when I was in the first trimester and upped to 1900 / 2000 for second and third. Although if I went over I didn't worry. In the first trimester I was sick so stuck to high carb foods like crackers and biscuits and bread which are quite high calorie too so if I went over I didn't worry.

And you can bet there were times I demolished a tub of ice cream too LOL.
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It can be done especially for tracking macros. I will definitely use mfp with my next pregnancy. The healthier you eat, the better for baby and mom. :)
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My coworker didn't for her first and second tri, but now she's in third and has started tracking. Turns out she was really low on protein so she can fix that.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Do it more to track calcium, protein and fiber while pregnant.
    MFP will help you focus on healthy eating while pregnant.
    You would eat less junk food just by logging.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I didn't with my son and I seriously regret it, so with my next I will definitely be using MFP. I talked to my doctor at my last appt and she said that as long as you have the right amount of calories, she's all for it.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I just gave birth 10 weeks ago. I logged during most of my pregnancy, the only time I didn't was a bit during the first trimester. I was just so nauseous and had so many food aversions that I just ate whatever I could when I could and it was so pointless to log because it wasn't going to change anything. I didn't gain any weight the first trimester. When I felt better at 13 weeks and started eating normally I started logging again. I was very active during my pregnancy and had to increase my calories quite a bit. For me it was just interesting to see how my needs changed. Overall I only gained 18 lbs and lost it all by 2 weeks postpartum. There are a lot of pregnant women on here and a group called Fit, Fabulous and Pregnant where you can connect.
  • evolve33
    evolve33 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 weeks pregnant now, and have been avoiding tracking my calories for a few reasons. One is that I don't want to fixate, and don't want to see the evidence of my over-eating most days. Even with the occasional nausea I had in the first few weeks, I've never had a problem eating or keeping my food down. I have more of a problem not using my pregnant status as an excuse to eat everything I want without always thinking about how nutritious it is. With my frist pregancy I gained 45 lbs, and with this one I want to try not to gain as much, so I'm going to start tracking now, and aim for maintenance for the next few weeks, then add 300 - 500 cals a day durimg the 2nd and 3rd trimester. This is the plan my Dr. recommended. I think what you are doing now to try to get in good shape before becoming pregant is a really good idea.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I tracked when I was pregnant, I worked out almost everyday to include the day I had my son. I used MFP to ensure was getting 'enough' ...after I had my son I resumed my workouts and even logged my nursing calories to ensure that I was getting enough calories to support myself and what my body needed to be doing. Let your Dr. and body tell you what you need to be doing and not what your calorie count says when it comes to eating 'too' much.