Onion recipes??

Options
Anyone know any healthy onion recipes? I have a bag of onions that Need eating quick!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    French Onion soup!
  • eved305
    eved305 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Onion and pepper steak or chicken
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    all you have to do with onions to freeze them is peel and chop them. Store them in the freezer in bags or recycled jars. they are still just fine in soups.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use them in

- meat pasta sauce (with ground turkey and jarred tomatoes)
    - meatloaf
    - fried with steak
    - pork chops with apples and onions
    - quiche
    - shepherd's pie
    - soup
    - sauteed with peppers with sausage/chicken/tacos

• wobchunk
    wobchunk Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Onion fritters.
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    French onion soup!! Super low cal and you can add as many as you can handle. Use thin slices of bread or even none at all on top! Or a couple crackers and low fat swiss :)

http://www.backtomyroots.ca/french-onion-soup/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is what I would do, because lately I've been fascinated with how the sweetness of the onion is brought out by cooking.

http://www.smithbites.com/2015/12/warm-caramelized-onion-hummus-dip-with-seasoned-chips/

And to preserve a whole bunch of onions at once:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pickled-onions-365176
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Mujadara is a lentil dish that uses a bunch of onions... 3-5 of them. It is tasty and filling.
    Almost everything I cook uses onion.
    Meatloaf
    Meatballs
    Lentil soup
    Beans and rice
    Minestrone
    Fassolatha
    Chilli
    Scrambled eggs
    Salads
    Stew or curry
    Chicken fajitas with onions and peppers
    Salsa
    Pasta sauce
    Baked macaroni and cheese
    Pizza
    On sandwiches

You can cut up and freeze onions to use later.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The last time I got a big bag of onions I was adding them to nearly every dish, and adding just a little more than was called for. I would chop up an entire onion at once, use whatever was called for in that recipe, and ziplock the rest for the next day. Onions got added to spaghetti sauce, meat balls, hamburger patties, soups, stews, chilies, salads, and coleslaws. For salad and coleslaw I used my mandoline to shave them very fine.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    French Onion soup!

This^^ With smoked paprika and cheese.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    These sweet potato and onion bhajis - yum!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sweet_potato_bhajis_68172
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    French onion soup does feel like the obvious answer for maximum onion consumption.

@Francl27 Suggested pork with apples and onions, which I must second. This recipe is delicious. You don't need the Land O' Lakes Cinnamon Sugar spread (yum btw, and I wish I could find it) just add the cinnamon & sugar to regular butter, but be careful that the sugar doesn't burn.

And finally, the other day I make kielbasa with classic potato & cheddar pierogies, and I sauteed onions separately.
  • amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Chop them all up and freeze them. They get a lot milder in the freezer, which might be a problem if youre a big raw onion eater, but its a bonus for us! We discovered that we can actually stand white onions if theyve been frozen before cooking! Then you have a bunch of prepared onions, and you can throw them in anything. Soups, stews, stir frys, breakfast burritos, everything! Onions are a magical food.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Onions are my favorite veggie! I love them roasted or grilled or sauteed and caramelized :)
  • lucyhross
    lucyhross Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow so much to try! As a student I need something simple and cheap so I think I'll give the soup and Bhajis a go and then freeze the rest!