Century Biking Challenge

Options
Tinymeaf
Tinymeaf Posts: 30 Member
Waiting for snow to melt, and going to purchase an endurance road bike in the next 2-3 weeks. My goal is to ride in a 100 mile centurion by the end of the summer. Join in this discussion if you have a similar goal. We can support and report our progress together. Can't wait to get pedaling!

Replies

• Tinymeaf
    Options
    Found a training plan for 8 weeks that suggests 3 rides per week. Tuesday is speed ride. (4-6 max efforts up to 2 minutes on tough stretches such as hills or headwinds with easy pedaling up to 4 min between). Thursday is the steady ride.(2-4 efforts of 15-30 minutes that increase heart rate to 80%, with 15 minutes easy riding between. Saturday is the long ride. 1st week is 1.5-2.0 hours at 70-75% heart rate, and build from there. Keep moving on other days with whatever keeps you happy.
  • puglife456
    puglife456 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm also training for a century ride. I've done two before, but that was many years ago. It has been so nice here that I've been able to ride on most my days off. I would like to figure out a way to bike into work so I can get a ride in on those days as well. I rode a little more than 35 miles on Tuesday, which is the most I've done in almost a year. I'm planning my next long ride for Saturday or Sunday
  • Tinymeaf
    Options
    Sounds like you are well on your way. Do you mind telling me the bike you are using? I'm trying to get an idea about what brands people enjoy riding.
  • puglife456
    puglife456 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I ride a bianchi. Not the fastest bike, but it is relatively light with very thin tires. Probably gonna go for a spin later today !
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm in for this.

I ride both a Cannondale (my road bike) and a Trek mountain bike, depending.

I'm going to start riding outdoors today (have been doing a computrainer class plus spinning), a 36 mile group ride next weekend, and work up. I also will soon start bike commuting again (on the Trek). There are a number of summer centuries around here that I want to do.

I want to train for a week long hilly bike vacation.
  • Tinymeaf
    Options
    Sounds great! I'm shopping for a road bike in the next week or two, then it's time to hit the road. No cycling group where I live....hope to branch out and find a biking buddy.
  • RRRobison71
    RRRobison71 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm back into cycling after almost a 10+ year hiatus. I have ridden most of the centuries in the area before and am ready to get back into the lifestyle again. I am hoping to work up to at least one century by the end of the year. I am basically starting over and have 450 miles for the year.
    I have a Raliegh aluminum road bike and a Cannondale F500 mountain with some upgrades.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I've never done a century. I'm sure I could, but I think my issue would be to find the right pace. Even on shorter rides, I often leave just wanting to "go for a relaxing ride" and at some point enjoy pushing the pace up. I think for a century ride that might be the downfall.

In for data on pace/HR zones/whatever metrics people use for the longer rides.
  • RRRobison71
    RRRobison71 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    I've never done a century. I'm sure I could, but I think my issue would be to find the right pace. Even on shorter rides, I often leave just wanting to "go for a relaxing ride" and at some point enjoy pushing the pace up. I think for a century ride that might be the downfall.

Hi. A century is like a marathon for cyclists. The trick is to conserve your energy and train how your body uses glucose, nutrients, etc to avoid the "bonk". The "bonk" is totally depleting yourself.
    A good pace for a century could be between 8-10 hours for a beginner. Most organized centuries have a SAG stop every 10,15, or 20 miles where you can replenish your fuel and water.
    As for HR I recommend keeping it in the fat burning zone (Zone 4 or 5, right?) to conserve energy.
    I believe doing a century is 60% mental and 40% physical. Those numbers can fluctuate because pounding out the miles, hills and nasty headwinds can become your mental challenge.
  • Tinymeaf
    Options
    Just taking my new bike home! Got a giant defy advanced pro 2. Totally thrilled! If buying a giant bike in Toronto go to the giant store on queen west and ask for Ian. It took 4.5 hours to get the fit just right, and got all the additional accessories I needed at discounted rates. My wife has got one on order for May 10. Can't wait to ride!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    thornape wrote: »
    robertw486 wrote: »

Hi. A century is like a marathon for cyclists. The trick is to conserve your energy and train how your body uses glucose, nutrients, etc to avoid the "bonk". The "bonk" is totally depleting yourself.
    A good pace for a century could be between 8-10 hours for a beginner. Most organized centuries have a SAG stop every 10,15, or 20 miles where you can replenish your fuel and water.
    As for HR I recommend keeping it in the fat burning zone (Zone 4 or 5, right?) to conserve energy.
    I believe doing a century is 60% mental and 40% physical. Those numbers can fluctuate because pounding out the miles, hills and nasty headwinds can become your mental challenge.

I think for a lot of endurance stuff the mental part is a big percentage. Knowing my trends, the big thing will be to not up pace and just find the right spot for the long ride.

I've been to a real "bonk" before, not a pleasant thing. Around here very little terrain, but the winds can be all over. I'd probably be better off looking at a HR zone as my pace guide.
  • Tinymeaf
    Options
    Thanks Robert. Will keep your comments in mind. I got my new bike hooked up to the trainer and rode for 30 minutes. The saddle was awesome! I did get fatigue in my arms though. Is that normal when you first start up, or is there an issue with fit? Tried to keep my arms slightly bent when in the up position.
  • Tinymeaf
    Options
    Any advice on a cycling computer? I'm looking at a Harmon vivoactive hr smartwatch. Gps and has golf,running,and cycling specific functions. Ant + works for cadence and speed with the built in sensor on my bike. I'm not looking at racing. Just want to collect data and make improvements on my rides.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It has been a goal of mine for 15 years to do another century. I used to do one a month until 2001 when I got married. Very year, I have a goal to do it again. I got close in 2010 when I did 70 something Mike's with a fully loaded touring bike...but his is the year! I ride a Trek touring bike usually but I also have a carbon fiber Trek road bike. I won't be able to ride my bike until next month since its in a different state than I am until then. I haven't really ridden in the last couple of years.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Tinymeaf wrote: »
    Any advice on a cycling computer? I'm looking at a Harmon vivoactive hr smartwatch. Gps and has golf,running,and cycling specific functions. Ant + works for cadence and speed with the built in sensor on my bike. I'm not looking at racing. Just want to collect data and make improvements on my rides.

I used to have a basic Cateye computer. No gps or anything but it told me the important info. Now I have a Garmin 705 which I love but no need to go that fancy if you don't want to. A basic one is good to start with.

• Tinymeaf
    Options
    First ride on the new bike! Let the preparation for the centurion begin!
  • spankmonkeycfc
    spankmonkeycfc Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hydration is very important, I set an alarm on my gps to go off every 20 minutes to remind me to drink - little and often, if you're thirsty then it's too late someone once told me?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I started 3 years ago losing weight and cycling with the same goal and was able to do the Hotter N Hell 100 I'm Wichita Falls Tx for my first century. Just posting to motivate and say "you got this!"
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Tinymeaf wrote: »

VivoActive sucks for cycling. GPS kills the battery and I don't think it would last a century ride. It also is horrible at picking up elevation.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nice coincidence seeing this thread!
    This evening I booked an Audax event for 8th May - cycling round the beautiful New Forest in Southern England.
    New Forest Spring Century - http://www.cyclingnewforest.org/cycling-events.html

Did it last year (just under 7hrs). I ride a Specialized Roubaix, 2015 disc braked model after my previous one got destroyed by an errant car driver. :neutral:

I use a Garmin Edge HRM and GPS unit and download the route for turn by turn directions. First Audax event I tried to follow the paper turn by turn directions and it was a nightmare on unfamiliar roads with no signposting.

My mate calls Audax events "an eating contest held in beautiful countryside". I tend to eat (carbs, carbs, carbs...) little and often on the move and also have a carb gel in my drinking bottles.
    My food diary is open if anyone is interested -10th May last year.

They attract all kinds of riders from the speed merchants to the tourers who stop at every cake shop. Many riders far older than me (!), a lot have clearly put a tons of miles into their legs and have been very good riders. A very friendly event but a challenge too.