Black Americano calories?

Options
How many calories would a 3 shot black Americano contain?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Negligible.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    10-15 tops. Depends on how much oil makes it through the extraction process.
  • tripple7
    tripple7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    With these take-away drinks it's usually better to Make one yourself at home. I saw one trending article lately on the news on how some of these hot drinks from Starbucks, McDonald, Nero etc have more added sugar than a can of Coke some even had as much as 20 teaspoons of sugar :#
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    tripple7 wrote: »
    With these take-away drinks it's usually better to Make one yourself at home. I saw one trending article lately on the news on how some of these hot drinks from Starbucks, McDonald, Nero etc have more added sugar than a can of Coke some even had as much as 20 teaspoons of sugar :#

This has nothing to do with a black americano. Which is shot of espresso and hot water.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Each shot of Espresso has between 1-2 so you're looking at 3-6 calories. I personally don't even log it.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options

I doubt a black coffee is going to have added sugar...
  • nlkklrocks
    nlkklrocks Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's only about 5 - I don't log it unless I add something to it. I do love them! :)
  • tripple7
    tripple7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »

With take-away drinks they do put add-ons (not necessarily sugar in some of the drinks) so that the ingredients can go a long a way as part of their cost/expense saving scheme. I drank a black coffee from McDonalds (for the first time) about two weeks ago. I tasted it and spat it right out (it was disgusting). It tasted nothing like coffee or the black coffee I make at home. Which I simply make myself by adding water + grinded organic coffee with no additional ingredients or sugar.

I will give an example of KFC. To make the chicken coating they're meant to use eggs, but my friend who works there says . They use a powdered mix which is labelled 'eggs'.. Since when is powdered eggs healthy ? I didn't even know it existed lol..

My point is.. Nothing beats homemade if you want to be healthy and eat clean or if you want real flavour.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options

With take-away drinks they do put add-ons (not necessarily sugar in some of the drinks) so that the ingredients can go a long a way as part of their cost/expense saving scheme. I drank a black coffee from McDonalds (for the first time) about two weeks ago. I tasted it and spat it right out (it was disgusting). It tasted nothing like coffee or the black coffee I make at home. Which I simply make myself by adding water + grinded organic coffee with no additional ingredients or sugar.

I will give an example of KFC. To make the chicken coating they're meant to use eggs, but my friend who works there says . They use a powdered mix which is labelled 'eggs'.. Since when is powdered eggs healthy ? I didn't even know it existed lol..

My point is.. Nothing beats homemade if you want to be healthy and eat clean or if you want real flavour.

McDonalds coffee doesn't taste horrible because they add anything to it. It tastes horrible because it's low quality coffee. I don't grind my own, but I do buy high quality coffee for myself at home, and coffee just about everywhere else tastes substandard.

An Americano is simply espresso and water, with negligible calories. Most people will not have an espresso machine at home to make their own, so I won't begrudge anyone going out to get one. It's probably one of the best choices for getting coffee that one could make, as far as minimizing calories is concerned.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Is an Americano like a "Long Black"? If so ... then there are little to no calories in it. Unless, of course, you add them yourself.

And about McDonalds coffee ... it's just bad coffee. We travelled through the US a few years ago and all service station coffee, the coffee in hotels served with complementary breakfasts, McDonalds coffee, etc. etc. were equally as horrible. Poor quality coffee + really weak. I had to add sugar just to be able to choke it down.

That coffee is definitely nothing like a "Long Black" or Americano.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I'm not certain about your KFC example but I would assume powdered eggs are just.... Eggs which are dehydrated for commercial use - mass quantities, stability, etc. Why would a process meant for scaling up suddenly make something unhealthy? Did you think the minimum wage KFC employees were back there cracking cage free organic eggs one by one to hand bread the chicken?

As others have pointed out, an Americano is just espresso and water so no reason that would be different at home vs at Starbucks other than most people don't have espresso machines at home.

McDonalds coffee is terrible but not because of what they are adding, because they begin with an inferior product.

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Since when is powdered eggs UNhealthy? It's just eggs in powder form.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sodium bicarbonate mixed with powdered eggs are even worse. ;)

I'm going with the negligible calorie camp.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Nutritionism at its worse.

A 3 shot black coffee doesn't have anything to do with sugar, powdered eggs or KFC.

The OP could have got it from some Oregon, organic, GMO-free, hippy-toed, sustainable, vegan, local grown, growth hormone free, free range chicken, fair wage place. It would still be 6 calories.

Does McD even do three-shots? I don't think so.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    lol ... so much misinformation everywhere ... but, that's the power and the danger of Internet research. As regards powdered egg, yes it is simply dehydrated egg; for those of us that know anything about diet in WW2, powdered egg was a staple part of rations.

An Americano, or "long black" is always just an espresso shot and water ... there is no such thing as a "Black Americano" as an Americano is by definition black. The calories in it depend, as stated previously, on the grinding / extraction process and the quality of the beans; so around 5 calories per espresso shot is not unreasonable.

Finally, don't forget that unless you actually conduct a controlled burn to obtain the thermic (and therefore calorific) output of what you consume it is all "rough science" to a degree. So, the calorie value of an Americano isn't really going to be noticeable given the vagaries of the calorie counting and generic calculations of BMR / TDEE.

The important point is to be conscious of what you consume, and to aim for less in than out.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Nige_Gsy wrote: »
    lol ... so much misinformation everywhere ... but, that's the power and the danger of Internet research. As regards powdered egg, yes it is simply dehydrated egg; for those of us that know anything about diet in WW2, powdered egg was a staple part of rations.

An Americano, or "long black" is always just an espresso shot and water ... there is no such thing as a "Black Americano" as an Americano is by definition black. The calories in it depend, as stated previously, on the grinding / extraction process and the quality of the beans; so around 5 calories per espresso shot is not unreasonable.

Finally, don't forget that unless you actually conduct a controlled burn to obtain the thermic (and therefore calorific) output of what you consume it is all "rough science" to a degree. So, the calorie value of an Americano isn't really going to be noticeable given the vagaries of the calorie counting and generic calculations of BMR / TDEE.

The important point is to be conscious of what you consume, and to aim for less in than out.

Kudos!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Sodium bicarbonate mixed with powdered eggs are even worse. ;)

I'm going with the negligible calorie camp.

I wasn't the one to bring up the evil sodium bicarbonate this time!!!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

McDonald's coffee is foul.

Restaurants/coffee houses aren't going to randomly add other ingredients, as most are required to post their nutrition information now.

Of course coffee made at home with organic beans, fresh spring water and fairy dust is going to taste better, but that is not the point here.

Fin.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    McDonald's coffee used to be one of the better tasting widely-available coffees (as compared to other fast food restaurants, gas stations, convenience stores, etc) IMHO.

Not so much now.

And I'll always prefer my freshly ground French pressed coffee I make at home, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy my keurig coffee most days of the week.

What all this has to do with logging at most 10 calories from what is essentially black coffee made from concentrate, I have no idea.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even bother logging a black americano, the calories would be so low. Unless you're drinking like ten of those triples a day, then it might add up to something, but you're not going to get much sleep if you're doing that, do...

I only bother to log coffee or espresso if I'm adding something to it other than water.