Need to stop smoking

Options
Elizabeth43555
Elizabeth43555 Posts: 1 Member
I have been a chain smoker for over 8 years. Truly, I love smoking, It's great to oversee pressures and strains. A month ago I had coughed up blood. I was so frightened and consult my family doctor. He analyzed the beginning phase of my cancer and instructed me to stop smoking. In any case, at whatever point I attempted to abstain from smoking, it had expanded my nervousness and displeasure. I don't comprehend what to do. One of my friends proposed me to look for the assistance of an addiction treatment center in Toronto ( cbt associates). Is it so costly? What are the strategies they used to stop smoking? Are there any tips to quit smoking? Kindly do help me.

Replies

• Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you spend 30 mins in a sauna every day for a week, you expel many of the toxins that your body craves. Once they're out of your system your body will stop craving it as often and can begin repairing itself.

After that its mostly a mental desire and craving. It can be done, I'm going on 8 years without a smoke. Chew gum, ice cubes, do stuff with your hands to keep them occupied.

Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Angela937 wrote: »
    I've heard that if you spend 30 mins in a sauna every day for a week, you expel many of the toxins that your body craves. Once they're out of your system your body will stop craving it as often and can begin repairing itself.

negative there

i quit cold turkey 3 years ago. when you want to quit, you will, no costly treatments needed (and theyre likely to not work long term anyways).

not saying its easy, but like losing weight, if you truly want to, you will

i was a pack and a half a day smoker for 15 years almost ....
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Angela937 wrote: »

negative there

i quit cold turkey 3 years ago. when you want to quit, you will, no costly treatments needed (and theyre likely to not work long term anyways).

not saying its easy, but like losing weight, if you truly want to, you will

i was a pack and a half a day smoker for 15 years almost ....

I too quit cold turkey, but turned to coffee as my substitute. Now I'm a coffee addict!
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I quit three times

First I used Nicorette for a week and I was good for about 6 years
    Second I quit cold turkey when I was pregnant
    Third I used Nicorette that worked again

• ellebreedlove42
    ellebreedlove42 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Keeping your hands busy is a good tactic! Chew gum! Suck on lollipops, or mints. Addiction is really a mental disease after about 2 weeks your physical needs stop for it but that doesn't help the psychological cravings. Smoking mainly is an oral fixation. So keeping your mouth as well as hands busy will do wonders- and exercise!
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I quit smoking when I lost some family and didn't want to go out like that. I quit pretty much cold turkey. Figured I don't have to smoke to live. I started getting more active and became addicted to working out and running. I quit drinking too so it was a win win.

Love you Aunt Bobbi, you put me on the right path