4lbs in one day?!

Options
So...I work out daily. Watch what I eat. Taking contrave. Yesterday I stepped up my strength training. Did a full 30 minutes and used heavier weights. Did my regular cadio too. I step on the scale this morning and I went from 224.2 (yesterdays morning weight) to 220.4 (todays morning weight). I know weight doesnt come off this fast. Thats a helluva gap. Im afraid of the dissapointment that will undoubtedly come tomorrow when I get a reading of 223 or back to 224.

This happen to anyone else? Anyone experience large weight drop overnight?

Replies

• majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate by about 2-5 lbs any given day.

I don't weight myself often anymore. I used to and I used get so frustrated.

I weight myself about once a month now. It took a lot of will power to stop weighing so often. At the end, I was weighing almost 3 times a day!

So yes, many will see big drops and big gains that mean next to nothing.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It could be a combination of things and I would only take it at face value and not analyze it. It could be that you lost water weight, or it could be that you took in a lot of sodium a few days prior and that finally worked its way out of your system. It could be that you were PMSing and that your body is now "letting go" of the bloat.

I do weigh myself every morning before I get in the shower, but I don't "count" those weigh-ins. The only time I count and log my weight is Monday morning. I ignore the Tuesday-Sunday weigh-ins and only use them as a point of curiosity based on my activities and food intake.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My scale goes up and down. Keep up the good work. The scale is only one measure of your progress. Take pictures and measurements too. Also remember, weight loss happens in the kitchen. Exercise is great and can burn calories but you need a caloric deficit to lose weight. Some people's weight comes off in 'chunks'. That weight loss could be a culmination of all of your hard work over the past few weeks. Even when you get back in the scale - if it's up - don't get discouraged. KEEP GOING! It will all pay off. I am down 15lbs. I have 20 more to go. Remember this is as much of a mental journey as much as it is physical. If I can't handle the read on the scale - I don't event bother that day. You can do it!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My question is how long have you been eating at a deficit? If more than two to three weeks with very minimal weight loss, you have could have lost a chunk at one time due to the whoosh effect. It is possible a lot of folks can loose weight in chunks like that, I do. It is usually how I loose mine.

The best way to know this is take measurements along with pictures, and use the scale as a guide. You will know if it is fat loss or water weight if you have been keeping up with your "trends"..

If this is only a week or so since you started the deficit, then it is not a whoosh, it is most likely just a simply fluction, but again keep up with your trends weekly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You need to educate yourself on natural body weight fluctuations if you're going to weigh in daily. Most people can go up or down 3-5 Lbs day to day depending on a variety of factors...water retention/release, more/less waste in your system at that particular moment, etc....

You need to educate yourself on this stuff or step away from the scale and weigh in less often...'cuz yeah, it'll likely rebound.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Weight will change day to day, even hour to hour.

If those fluctuations discourage you, don't weigh yourself everyday. Weigh yourself once a week. Weight loss isn't linear; it won't go down each time you step on the scale.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A fluctuation of 4-5 pounds is normal. I work very hard not to let an individual scale reading get me down. Understanding fluctuation and trends will help you a lot. Try mapping your weight on something like.

www.weightgrapher.com
  • minniesb69
    minniesb69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think the whoosh explanation makes the most sense. Been on a daily deficit for about a month. I weigh daily because it part of a weightloss program that im on. Been doing it for 2 months and this is the first time I've seen such a big gap. Normally my weight fluctuate 1-2 lbs overnight and 2-4 throughout the day. I like keeping track because it helps me stay on track, not the opposite. This time I was confused due to the drop.
    Thanks for all the feedback! I'll post what I weigh in at tomorrow. For those interested scaledown.com
  • minniesb69
    Options
    Sorry incorrect website... scaledown.me
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. There are 128 ounces in a gallon. So it's not actually that hard to have that much difference in water in a day. If you drank 32 ounces of water that's two pounds right there. Add a little extra salt so you are holding on to water (or a little less so you flush more water), and there's four pounds.
  • minniesb69
    Options
    streamgirl wrote: »
    Keep in mind that a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. There are 128 ounces in a gallon. So it's not actually that hard to have that much difference in water in a day. If you drank 32 ounces of water that's two pounds right there. Add a little extra salt so you are holding on to water (or a little less so you flush more water), and there's four pounds.

Good point. I won't get too excited. Thanks
  • minniesb69
    Options
    It wasn't a "whoosh" :-(
    So the water weight explanation was probably what happened. I'm back at 224.2 but atleast I didn't gain! :smiley:
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It happens that way for me almost every day, and I've STILL lost 96 pounds overall. It's the trends that matter. If you eat a meal with high sodium, it can really rock those numbers.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    minniesb69 wrote: »
    It wasn't a "whoosh" :-(
    So the water weight explanation was probably what happened. I'm back at 224.2 but atleast I didn't gain! :smiley:

I came back to the thread to see what happened....no worries...just keep up the good work and the caloric deficit. It will come off. Thanks for updating us
  • minniesb69
    Options
    So...lets revisit this whoosh thing. March 10th I weighed in at 220.4. Exactly 1 week later my weight has steadily dropped and now im to 220.2. Was the 220 seven days ago a signal that my body was changing? Could it have been a Whoo instead of a Whoosh? Haha. Im reaching. Good news is...I'm back to 220.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You need to educate yourself on natural body weight fluctuations if you're going to weigh in daily. Most people can go up or down 3-5 Lbs day to day depending on a variety of factors...water retention/release, more/less waste in your system at that particular moment, etc....

You need to educate yourself on this stuff or step away from the scale and weigh in less often...'cuz yeah, it'll likely rebound.

+1
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    So...lets revisit this whoosh thing. March 10th I weighed in at 220.4. Exactly 1 week later my weight has steadily dropped and now im to 220.2. Was the 220 seven days ago a signal that my body was changing? Could it have been a Whoo instead of a Whoosh? Haha. Im reaching. Good news is...I'm back to 220.

Sounds pretty normal. Last Friday I weighed in 203.2, then I went up suddenly and back down all week 206, 205, 204) today I am 203.2 again. Looks like I didn't lose much but on the 1 month trend I've lost 8.4 pounds in the last month so overall trend is fine.
  • minniesb69
    Options

Sounds pretty normal. Last Friday I weighed in 203.2, then I went up suddenly and back down all week 206, 205, 204) today I am 203.2 again. Looks like I didn't lose much but on the 1 month trend I've lost 8.4 pounds in the last month so overall trend is fine.

That's sounds like my experience too. Next time I see a major loss I'll know its a precursor.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Depends on what time of day you weigh yourself. I weighed myself frequently during the day to see how much it fluctuates. I go from my current weight of 212.9 all the way up to 216 some times. Depending on how much I ate, drank water, bathroom habits etc.
  • minniesb69
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

+1

Uh...no. He is talking about flutuactions during the day. That's not the topic. I record my daytime weights at 4 times during the day so I know whats normal for me. The topic is about large drop overnight. I will continue to weigh in daily thanks.

Scaledown.me