400 calories left by 5:30PM. What's for dinner?

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Protein and fiber are your friends as far as satiety is concerned. Also front loading this protein and fiber early in the day, in your first and second meals of the day, will help you to feel full throughout the day and less hungry in the evening.

• knittingbee928
    knittingbee928 Posts: 50 Member
    These suggestions are amazing, thank you!! Cauliflower rice? I never heard of it (and I'm a healthy eater) but it sounds delish!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Veg and lean protein all the way.

yup
  • mecsami
    mecsami Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm addicted to a 300 calorie pasta meal that I found and tweaked a little, that's super healthy, full of protein, and keeps me full for a long time. I make a big batch on Sundays & eat it for lunch during the week. My family likes it too if I add cheese. If I'm working out hard that day/week, I'll add fresh parmesan, but if not, then skip it. I usually have fruit, greek yogurt and (pick one or more) wheat germ/granola/flax seed/chia, then my lunch, and rarely eat a full dinner because lunch is so satisfying. I do make sure I reach at least 1200 calories though, and go 1400-1600 if I'm exercising, because when I'm under I actually hold on to weight.

Serves 10-12 depending on portion size
    1lb whole wheat pasta
    1lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
    2 (15-16 oz) cans of cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
    4 cups fresh green beans, trimmed & chopped
    1 large onion diced
    Red chile flake
    3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
    white wine/water/stock (I use 1/2 cup wine to deglaze then add 2-3 cups of stock later)
    1lb diced or cherry tomatoes (or canned, rinsed & drained)
    salt & pepper
    large handful of whatever fresh chopped herbs you like: parsley, basil, cilantro, sage, oregano...

Boil the pasta (in salty water) a couple minutes shorter than recommended to finish in sauce later, and add green beans 2 minutes before that to partially cook. Drain pasta & green beans immediately.

In a large pan sauté onion s&p and chile flake in olive oil on med-high heat. If using dried instead of fresh herbs add them now to bring out their flavor. Add garlic for about 30 seconds then add shrimp cooking just 1-2 minutes on each side until just pink (not cooked through. Remove shrimp & set aside. Add 1/2 cup wine/water/stock to deglaze & reduce couple minutes. Then add all remaining ingredients except fresh herbs, salt & pepper to taste, and let simmer.

When tomatoes "pop" or begin to break down and stock has reduced a little (5 minutes or so), turn off heat, toss in pasta and shrimp with fresh herbs. You may have to move it all to a bigger bowl to be able to mix. Grate parmesan over individual servings if you've earned it :)
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    These suggestions are amazing, thank you!! Cauliflower rice? I never heard of it (and I'm a healthy eater) but it sounds delish!

You can make your own easily enough if you have a food processor, then it's best dry fried (there's lots of recipes on the Web....I found one for paleo dirty rice that I want to try today) but supermarkets in the UK have started to sell it ready riced which is really handy.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Lean protein and veggies seem to be my go to dinner.

Salmon filet seasoned with salt pepper and butter, side of green beans = 445 cals, 27f/7c/39.

I'd suggest eating more fat too. It may keep you more satiated.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    My 348 calorie dinner. Ground turkey for the meat in my homemade spaghetti sauce. Barilla protein plus angel hair pasta. I am stuffed! I don't know how some people think 2oz of pasta is "hardly anything"

h237nmifb6t1.jpeg
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Thanks to all the great suggestions so far!

You are already at a healthy weight, so any changes will be slow and entirely unnecessary.

I think I'll be the judge of that, thank you. Despite what my BMI appears to be on paper, personally I feel my best at 103. So yeah, while I'm a healthy weight according to what any BMI calculator will show, my butt and thighs reveal a different story. As anyone who's very short like myself knows, each pound gained feels like 5. Especially when all the weight goes to one place. And after a surgery and 10-pound weight gain, when my entire entire life I've been just shy of 102, it's not "entirely unnecessary" at all.

Thanks for the food suggestions, though! I'll keep them in mind - everyone here has great ideas.

There is a difference between necessary and important to you. Since you are already at a healthy weight, your struggles will be different than if you were obese.
  • MichaelRpal
    MichaelRpal Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Stirfry. I love stirfry, and I've made a nice one that MFP calcs at around 375-385 calories. Two Kirkland chicken breasts, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, broccoli head, green beans, water chestnuts (I love these things even if they're effectively just taking up space), garlic, white onion, cucumber, and three tablespoons of Kikkoman Teriyaki Baste & Glaze Sauce (optional for less sodium and calories - though after a few weeks without sauce this change helped keep stirfry from getting old; also found some herb and spice stirfry mix at Costco that can be used instead). And a serving of brown rice. Sometimes I use sesame oil, but this last time I used safflower oil -- didn't have any extra virgin olive oil to try. The ingredients change a little each time; like the cucumber was new, and I usually have carrots (was out) too. Makes at least 4 servings.

For me stirfries (even when eating out) have always been the most enjoyable way to get in a variety of and a good helping of vegetables.

Still not sure why Kirkland chicken breasts are rated at being so sodium heavy in MFP, but I guess that's frozen packaging for you.
  • reachrajini
    reachrajini Posts: 5 Member
    Don't keep yourself starving before dinner as this wud make you eat a bigger meal. Before starting to cook when I am too hungry, I munch on a small carrot or two as this wud stop me from cooking bigger quantit.
  • reachrajini
    reachrajini Posts: 5 Member
    You cud go for a chicken soup made with olive oil, garlic, onion , salt , pepper and small chicken pieces.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Egg white omelet with spinach, mushrooms (other veggies to taste) and reduced fat shredded cheese. A side of toast and/or piece of fruit to round it out.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Canned soup. You can get lots of different flavors by Campbells or Progresso that are 250-300 per can. Very filling.
  • DeadLift5
    DeadLift5 Posts: 16 Member
    Brown rice (or whole grain quinoa), chicken breast and a load of veggies.

I'd portion it to 300cal so I could fit in some almonds a couple hours later :P
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Made this on Monday and it was delish:

http://pinchofyum.com/easy-mexican-chicken-quinoa-casserole
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    It's definitely not sexy, but my go to under 400 calorie meal is a plane ole ham sandwich (375 calories). Costco sells this Black Forrest Ham lunch meat that is 35 calories per oz. 5 ounces of that on sandwich bread with some mustard holds me over for a good five hours.
  • knittingbee928
    @mecsami - that looks really good! One question:

I'll add fresh parmesan, but if not, then skip it. I usually have fruit, greek yogurt and (pick one or more) wheat germ/granola/flax seed/chia,

What are the benefits of wheat germ and chia? More fiber?
  • knittingbee928
    @MichaelRpal - Yes, I bet they use salt as a preservative.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Thai style Fish broth with greens

330 cals per serving.
  • wobchunk
    wobchunk Posts: 47 Member
    Sweet potato and onion fritters.