What Motivated You to Finally Lose Weight?

Options
Bundyman
Bundyman Posts: 42 Member
I'm sure many if not all of you have a similar story to mine. Overweight / obese my entire life and could never stick with a diet.

It's depressing to fail time after time. We always want the quick fix to turn our health and lives around. Unless you have some form of surgery to jump start the process it's a struggle to succeed and there is no real quick fix.

For me, my wake-up call came when I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2013 at the age of 45. I weighed nearly 450 pounds and knew if I didn't make some serious changes, I'd likely be dead before long. At the very least I'd start losing body parts.

My doctor wanted me to have Gastric bypass surgery but I knew I was strong enough to lose the weight on my own.

Long story short, I've lost over 160 pounds so far and I'm no longer on any diabetes medications. I was able to lose the weight simply by making some lifestyle changes. I exercised every day by walking and I cut back on my calorie intake limiting myself to 2000 calories a day. A far cry from the 7000+ I had been eating. I've gone from a size 60" waist to now wearing size 42" pants.

I have never and will never use any wraps, shakes, pills or gimmicks of any kind. Every day is a struggle and there have been plenty of bumps and plateaus along the way but I continue to count calories and hit the gym 4 or 5 times a week. I no longer have joint pain and I'm proud to say when I golf, I only rent a cart when the course makes me.

Diabetes and the very real likelihood of an early death is what finally ended my excuses and failure and I have my life back.

Replies

• Tyler2020Mike
    Tyler2020Mike Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Bundyman!

With me, it was constant headaches I would get, along with being out of breath doing the simplest of tasks.
  • Bundyman
    Options

With me, it was constant headaches I would get, along with being out of breath doing the simplest of tasks.
    I can relate to that as well. Tying my shoe laces would have me breathing heavy. And anyone that has been obese knows about plenty of other routine daily tasks which are anything but routine when you are that size. It can be very embarrassing.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Similar story to yours (kind of). Both my parents and grandparents (and a lot of uncles) have diabetes so I have a yearly check. I have been obese my whole life too. I hadn't weighed my self for a long time and I went to the nurses office to have my check. I stood on the scale and I was 15 1/2 stone. I decided there and then I was gonna lose weight. It has been a battle. That was back in 2011 - I did really well 2011 and 12 then kind of lost it. My life style has totally changed - I run, I teach zumba and kettlebells and go the the gym. BUT when my eating isnt good I go backwards. I will get to my GW one day. and you will too, we just gotta "keep truckin'" xxxx
  • Tyler2020Mike
    Tyler2020Mike Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bundyman wrote: »

I can relate to that as well. Tying my shoe laces would have me breathing heavy. And anyone that has been obese knows about plenty of other routine daily tasks which are anything but routine when you are that size. It can be very embarrassing.

Thanks for the quick reply. You can add me if you want. Yes, the bending over to tie the shoes was a worrisome task back in the day. I used to dread when things had fallen over in public. Just keep at it, and you'll be able to run about without breaking a sweat.
  • stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    wow man that's very inspiring. kudos to you!

i hit 240lbs just before Xmas 2015, felt crap all the time, for the first time ever found myself breathing heavier when doing little things like tie shoe laces. i was still active playing football (soccer) but my performance and endurance was way off which would leave me annoyed with myself knowing its my fault for the state of my fitness and appearance. another reason was the lower back ache i was experiencing. with having an office based job and doing no activity outside of work, my back was in bits all the time. it would effect my running and give me an excuse not to workout.

i wouldn't say I'm massive, however its clear i am very over weight with a big beer belly (slowing getting smaller). Since the new year Ive curbed my calorie intake, usually have 1500 to 1800 a day (before i was closer to 3000) and i make sure i workout 4 or 5 times a week. (football twice and circuits or bike at home, get out for walks)

Ive lost 19lbs since Xmas and within a short space of time my fitness levels has come back. Seeing the results on the scales help but at the same-time that's only a motivation tool, its the fact the clothes are getting looser and I'm running out of belt notches which gives me the most satisfaction.
    i also bought a fitbit to gauge my running stats whilst playing football. i noticed at the start of January my resting heart beat was about 62bpm its now down to 51bpm meaning my heart isn't working as hard as it was. win win situation there.

anyway i've rambled on there, Well done on your lifestyle change and of course your results. keep it up.
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I am also diabetic so I understand.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The threat of diabetes was the trigger for me, too. My blood sugar finally crept up high enough to scare me. Down 45 lbs. since last November.

"other routine daily tasks which are anything but routine"--boy, I hear you. Now everything is slowly getting better, little unexpected gifts nearly every day.
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good for you man! I had the Diabetes wake up call on July 29th 2015 - my body was revolting against me big time so I figured it was time to make some changes... decided to change the way I was eating and start exercising... I am down 70 lbs. and am running between 3 - 15 miles a day... never felt better only wish I had done this sooner.

Proud of your hard work and accomplishments!
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had to walk a new faculty member across campus to pick up his keys and was unable to maintain a conversation with him because I was breathing too hard. We weren't even walking that quickly. It was mortifying to be huffing and puffing and sweating the whole time; I hated how I felt and how horribly unfit I was and vowed to change it. That was the end of June 2012 and I started my transformation on July 1 of that year.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I've lost the weight before, but after battling thyroid cancer, I became depressed. The medication changes and the metabolism shift didn't help, and I found myself with 1/2 the weight I've lost back on and over 1/2 my clothes currently packed away because they no longer fit. I'm only 4 days into getting my mindset back to losing, but I'm as determined as I've ever been.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Some bad (like really bad) blood work motivated me to take measures (like cleaning up my diet and exercising regularly) to be a healthier person which is important to me because I have two small boys at home that I would like to watch become men. A nice bi-product of getting my *kitten* together was dropping some weight...about 40 Lbs.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I felt like a hypocrite. I grew up wanting to work in something related to health, but I was an overweight child and got to over 220 by the time I graduated with my B.S. I found myself with low self esteem and felt like I was too much of a hypocrite to pursue graduate school in health sciences. I also knew a lot, I started lifting at a young age, reading about diet, took classes, had certifications, but failed to follow through. So I got mad. I realized that people were giving me crap advice just because I was heavy they assumed I didn't know things and I realized my weight was stopping me from pursuing my goals. So I lost about 60 lbs, ran two marathons and a Spartan beast, enrolled in graduate school and I am graduating with my master's in May at a weight lower than what I was at age 14. I also work on diabetes research, so I feel motivated not to have the risk factors for diabetes and the other diseases I spend my time researching.

Side note: enjoyed reading all your stories and congrats to you all for prioritizing your health.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    My heaviest was after I had my twins. I lost some weight when they were born, but quickly gained it all back and then some. I know you would think that having twins would keep you busy and moving enough to lose weight - it's not. It takes effort regardless of how many children you have. You can easily eat any calories you burn chasing them just by finishing their leftover cheetos and pbj's. Trust me. I did. When they were about 2 I was my biggest (235, 5' 7.5" tall). I was teetering on size 20 pants...18 was getting tight. I got out of the shower and grabbed my towel that didn't wrap around me and walked in front of the mirror (you know, bathrooms always have those pesky things). I bent down to pick something up and when I stood back up I saw myself from the side, like really, I noticed what I looked like. Generally I was so tired or busy that I paid little attention to my usual mirror views. But this time it fell on me like a ton of bricks. My giant stomach stuck out further than my chest...dimples everywhere, sagging bottom, etc. I felt instantly disgusted by myself and that disgust, within minutes, transformed into anger. That anger drove me to loss. I bought a generic version of WW on eBay because I was too broke to go to anyone for help with weight loss. The word document that had lists of point values also included the formula for calculating points. I carried a calculator around with me everywhere to calculate the points of what I was eating. It took so much effort on my part, but I was so done with how I looked. It worked. It took about a year and I lost about 50 pounds getting me to 185. Still too much on my frame, so I've been poking at the rest for about a decade now...yo-yo style. I'm somewhere around 170 at the moment for a grand total loss (over a decade) of 65 lbs. I would like to lose about 15 more or so, but I'm really doing pretty good overall. I know I didn't have nearly as much to lose as some, but it doesn't matter if you have to lose 50 or 300 lbs - the struggles are similar. For those who lose 50 lbs, it's still hard. It's time consuming, it takes dedication, it doesn't just melt off towards the end anymore. I'm ready to be done with this phase - the 'loss' phase - and move into the maintenance phase, and the continuing building on the athletic side of things. When I can get this last 15 off, which I PROMISE will be this year, I'll be ready for a new chapter. I think spending a decade trying to lose weight is sufficient!! Good luck, everyone! Cheers to you all for being here and fighting the fight :)
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have spent my entire life bouncing from extremes. I was a heavy child and used food to cope with how I felt but later went polar opposite and develop anorexia in my early teens. I had a rocky recovery from anorexia but in University I fell back into patterns of using food as a coping mechanism and gained a ton of weight. My weight went up and down a lot and finally when I hit my highest weight I had enough. I was tired of hating myself and being ashamed of my body. I've only been doing this since October but it feels so different this time and even though my losses have been pretty small I'm happy with my slow and steady progress.
  • ermontoy
    ermontoy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A Doctor's Visit near Austin, TX changed my life. Check out my page, read my blog, add me as a friend.
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    At 57 I retired 1 1/2 years ago and gained 25 extra pounds on top of the 50 extra I was already carrying around. I'd already decided I needed to get serious about losing weight, but when running the vacuum gave me a dizzy spell and exhausted me, enough was enough! I had just found out about MFP before that happened and I started logging daily on January 4th of this year. I have so far lost that extra 25 pounds and will continue to log daily, maybe for the rest of my life. I've read and own so many weight-loss books over the years that I could probably open a book store on the subject. Reading about it and doing it are two entirely different things. MFP makes it easy to log and see the calories I am eating. What an eye-opener! I am so grateful I found this web site and this great group of people! My goals are simple: log every bite every day, honestly, and move a little more every day and I'd really like to incorporate some weights as I go forward. The important thing for me is just to keep moving forward.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've never actually technically been overweight, but about 5 years ago I found myself heading towards the top of my desired BMI range. I think old age is setting in...

My sister had signed up for MFP and wanted an accountability buddy, so I joined too. This was my first time attempting to manage/lose weight, so I didn't know what to expect. But I'd seen too many of my peers let themselves go over the years, so I was eager to be proactive about keeping my weight in check.

I found this method extremely straight-forward, simple, and even kinda fun. It's almost like a game to me. I dropped about 18 pounds (slowly but surely) and I've been here maintaining ever since. Good luck everyone! :)
  • jennichavi
    jennichavi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you Bundyman. All of us really. I've been trying (more off than on to lose weight for about 9 years now. I've ranged from being 30-50 pounds overweight. I tried my fitness pal by itself, and didn't really get results. now I'm doing my fitness pal with my jaybird reign, (that gives me a goal to reach everyday) I finally lost 10 pounds in a week. It feels so good to see my belly shrink some, and to have the energy to make my bed without it exhausting me. In the past I have been so good at running like hell for something, and fizzling out after a few weeks or months. After meeting my goal on my jaybird a few days in a row, I made the decision to never not reach my goal. That's kept me going. I don't want to break my streak, because if I do, I'm afraid the whole weight loss thing will fall by the wayside again. I do not want that to happen, it's almost summer, and I can't wait to be able to wear some cute clothes again! I'm 39, I know as I get older it will be harder to lose the weight. Plus I don't know if I'll be able to find this motivation again. It is easier to stick with a routine, than to establish a new one. God Bless you all, keep fighting the fight! Also, I love The Biggest Loser! I am so proud of all of them as well.
  • Bundyman
    Options
    Loving the different and honest stories you're all posting. Be it big changes or little, as long as they're positive changes that's all that matters. I look forward to hearing more stories and I thank everyone who has been so kind with your congrats and kudos for me as well. Keep fighting the good fight and be healthy and happy.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Keep it up, Bundyman. Good health is priceless!

What's helping me is the thinking that I'm too deep in the journey to quit/fail.