body fat percentage

Options
what's is the easiest way for me to calculate my body fat percentage?

Replies

• drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There's not really an accurate way to know, short of a medical scan.

Why do you want to know? The information is not necessary to lose weight and get in shape.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The mirror
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have an Aria WiFi scale. It logs my body fat and weight. It also syncs to MFP and fitbit. I can't say how accurate it is as a percentage but It is real accurate in terms of, the percent goes up when I gain and down when I get skinny.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It's not very accurate
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I bought some scale that uses bioelectrical impedance analysis. BIA is certainly not the most accurate way to get bf%, but it tells me what I want to know ... Up or down. It could be 10% off and I wouldn't know it, but in that case, it's consistently 10% off which is peachy to me since it was only 27 bucks. I thought about the Fitbit aria, but I already gave them $150 plus tax for my charge hr lol. They're sooo not getting another 130 plus tax. I hear they are pretty good for their purpose though. I also believe there are ways if you google body fat percentage calculation. It's something to do with measuring certain areas of your body
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I have used BMI estimate, bioimpedence monitor, and calipers, and all put me at the same 20-21%, which correlates pretty well with the visual chart too. This chart puts me at 23%.

So I am pretty confident that my bodyfat is between 20-23%; and would be able to measure with the bioimpedence machine to check for increases or decreases. Watching the change (or making sure it stays the same) is enough information for me.

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way is water submersion. There are some places that will do it for you, for a fee. If knowing your BF% is really important to you, then I'd do it once to get an idea, check it with a bioimpedence test to see how accurate that is in relation and then that would give you a baseline. Bioimpedence gets sketchy the more athletic you are and the lower your bf% is. It doesn't work well for very athletic individuals, and is subject to miscalculations due to dehydration.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    Why do you want to know? The information is not necessary to lose weight and get in shape.

Define "in shape"?

Bodyfat percentage: because it's the best metric. Tons of people (you'll see on here) screw themselves up by using only the scale measurement.

OP, I use my bioimpedence scale and the US Navy tape-measure method, and average them together.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »

Define "in shape"?

Bodyfat percentage: because it's the best metric. Tons of people (you'll see on here) screw themselves up by using only the scale measurement.

OP, I use my bioimpedence scale and the US Navy tape-measure method, and average them together.

In shape, meaning what most everyone on a dieting app means: losing fat and gaining muscle.

It is not the "best metric" if there is not an accurate way to measure it.

A better metric is strength progress and body weight; if your strength is going up or plateaued while your weight drops, you can pretty much be assured that you are retaining as much muscle as possible given the parameters of your diet.

If your strength is declining, evaluate how rapidly, and look for places to improve your technique, recovery, sleep, and quality of nutrition. If these are all in order, then your cut is too aggressive to maintain strength and you can decide to continue or reduce your defecit.
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well, I get the old caliper method every year for work as part of our fit check in my dept.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    chaney3000 wrote: »
    Well, I get the old caliper method every year for work as part of our fit check in my dept.

I have found that to be highly inaccurate. I used to get it done every 6 months or so. I finally watched them do the calculations and it was all based on how old I was so the exact same calculation would have me at a lower body fat percentage if I was just slightly younger. That was an eye opener and really discouraging. It shouldn't matter how old I am.
  • chaney3000
    Options
    Yeah, I know it's inaccurate but that's the fire dept for ya. If ain't broke don't fix it mentally. So the pinch me 3 times and give me a BS body fat percent.
  • chaney3000
    Options
    Oh and I'm 19% as of last year.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know it's inaccurate but that's the fire dept for ya. If ain't broke don't fix it mentally. So the pinch me 3 times and give me a BS body fat percent.

Well, BS or not it does sort of help in keeping track with where you are. I was just annoyed when I saw that if I were a few years younger my BF would be significantly lower. For the exact same measurements!
  • mangelopulos
    mangelopulos Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My daughter it an athlete. She does a sport every season. She always gets a stinking BMI letter sent home from school since her weight is high for her height but she is all muscle. I have never seen anyone with less fat on them. So use a scale until you start gaining muscle then use a tape measurer.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options

I have found that to be highly inaccurate. I used to get it done every 6 months or so. I finally watched them do the calculations and it was all based on how old I was so the exact same calculation would have me at a lower body fat percentage if I was just slightly younger. That was an eye opener and really discouraging. It shouldn't matter how old I am.

The reason for age being in there is because as we age, we store more subcutaneous fat around our organs and such that can't be measured with calipers.

I'm an engineer and quite honestly, I don't know why a more accurate equation hasn't been developed. It seems that some combination of caliper, tape measure, age, weight, height, sex, etc... could be used to come up with one. Some college out there could do a study where they did the water submersion and took all kinds of measurements and then compile all that data together.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

The reason for age being in there is because as we age, we store more subcutaneous fat around our organs and such that can't be measured with calipers.

I'm an engineer and quite honestly, I don't know why a more accurate equation hasn't been developed. It seems that some combination of caliper, tape measure, age, weight, height, sex, etc... could be used to come up with one. Some college out there could do a study where they did the water submersion and took all kinds of measurements and then compile all that data together.

Because then you'd have to get the government on board and the BMI system is such a part of the governmental regulations, along with insurance companies, it would be a massive change to how things are calculated. At this point, it is too integrated into everything. It could be done but there is no incentive at this point and new studies with new data isn't going to be enough to change the status quo.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »

Because then you'd have to get the government on board and the BMI system is such a part of the governmental regulations, along with insurance companies, it would be a massive change to how things are calculated. At this point, it is too integrated into everything. It could be done but there is no incentive at this point and new studies with new data isn't going to be enough to change the status quo.
    #truth
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »

I don't really agree with that stance. The government (military specifically) has funded lots of non-bmi health research and developed various ways to measure body fat, but they all still fall short of DEXA, bodpod, and hydrostatic weighing. The real problem is that the only 100% accurate method is to kill the person and take their body apart and weigh everything, so developing an equation based on an innacurate measurement to start with is going to cause problems. Maybe the government and universities realizes that the equations we have for tape and skin folds is good enough, and that if you really need more accurate information (which almost no one on this website does), then you go get an expensive scan.

Honestly, the white male 20-60 population is well served by decent equations. The minorities and females could use some equations designed for them, but even then using what is available is still good enough for most uses.