iron deficiency - help please

Options
hey all i am new here and after just one day i have looked back at my nutrients and realised i am seriously lacking in iron!

I feel tired alot of the time and although i drink plenty water and get plenty of sleep i always have black circles and tired eyes.

could this be the cause and if so should i get some kind of supplement?

your help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Iron is really something you need to have tested, as too much iron is not good for you. I would discuss this with your doctor or chemist before you start taking iron suplements
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You can get Iron supplements also B12 is good for this! I take B12 sublingual everyday.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    get tested, most of the foods in the MFP database dont have the amount of iron in them. you are probably getting more than you think
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Try cooking with cast iron pans. it's more effective than vitamins, and it's safe.
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The only way to actually find out is to get a blood test. Iron's one of those things that you shouldn't just supplement without finding out if you need it or not, especially as the symptoms of having too much iron (yes, possible) are very similar to being deficient. I'm low in iron myself, after finding it out from a blood test, so I now take supplements. But yes, I too never seem to get anywhere near the amount that MFP suggests. Most days I'm lucky if I even get near 50%. I don't know how they figure out how much you need on here, but I would find out from an actual blood test what your needs are, rather than taking it from here that you must be low in iron. Hope this helps!
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have iron deficiency and I'm on supplements at the moment. The best thing to do is get a blood test done and talk to your doctor. But if you have some symptoms, like tiredness that you already have, but also very dry throat, nails that brittle, hair too dry, very itchy skin, especially on the legs then you can be pretty sure that you need some more. Although, before you start putting chemistry in your body, try first to eat some iron-y food, like red meat, cinnamon, green veggies, dark chocolate etc. But whatever you do - talk to your doctor!!! Good luck :) xx
  • HunnieM
    HunnieM Posts: 37
    Options
    I personally am anemic and I took multi vitamins with 125% vitamin C and 100% iron based on the doctors advice. The vitamin C helps you better absorb the iron. Like a week ago I stopped taking my vitamins because they personally make me constipated and I am noticing that I am way more lethargic and weak without them so they do make a difference.
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    What everyone else is saying is good advice, just to start with that.

One thing I do to get iron every day is have a small bowl of corn flakes (maybe 1.5 cups of cereal, .75 cups of milk), and that gives you a good start. Most cereals have iron, but there are some cereals that are better than others. Obviously, stay away from the Lucky Charms. ;-) Hope this helps.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    B9 (folic acid) helps your body absorb B12 (iron) - i was iron deficient, but then a recent test showed my B12 to be good, but my B9 was really low, and so my B12 wasnt being absorbed

bassetts soft and chewy adult vitamins are good - i get a pack of 30 chews for around £3.00 which i personally dont mind paying for as i'm saving money on not buying take away food
  • weeze_h
    weeze_h Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi. I was the same when I started logging things here and although I am not tired all the time I do have dark circles quite often. However I was reluctant to start taking iron supplements as I agree with Elleinnz and your doctor should really check this for you before starting tablets as too much iron can be bad for you. After researching iron deficiency I found that's it's quite uncommon to have a severe deficiency through diet alone, other factors such as lack of sunlight and disease have to be factored in. However I do now make an effort to include more iron in my diet - look for breakfast cereals that contain extra iron, cheerios is one I have found and like. Also I'm not a big red meat eater but I now make sure that I eat a red meat meal once a week. Also spinach and other green veg is good for iron. I've still never hit 100% iron in a day but if I'm over 50% I think I'm doing good.
  • ladybrock
    ladybrock Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies, I actualy only got 9% for my iron intake yesterday which is why I asked I also only got 39% calcium and 32% vitamin a. Vitamin c was good though at 84%

But then I had milk in my tea which I did not count should I input this data too?
  • neocharon
    neocharon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    yup if you eat it, drink it or consume it... then you count it! You will be surprised where calories and nutrients can work their way in!
  • neocharon
    neocharon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try cooking with cast iron pans. it's more effective than vitamins, and it's safe.

Seriously?? Ha ha some of my family used to tell me that but I always thought they were messing with me!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Seriously?? Ha ha some of my family used to tell me that but I always thought they were messing with me!

Yep it works.

To the OP. Go get your blood work done. You as well as your doctor need to know what your numbers are so that you can take the proper steps to get your iron at the proper level. If that's the culprit.

I am severely anemic. My body doesn't process iron efficiently. I take a iron supplement and vitamin c (vitamin c helps your body to absorb iron) and I eat raw spinach. My doctor and I are actively trying to get my numbers up. Its been a task thus far.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Definatly talk to your doctor, its something that needs to be tested so he can see whats going on. And if its not anemia, he might find somehting else causing the problem. Do get it checked out though, the sooner the better, anemia can really mess with your body. Not just your energy levels, but it makes you cranky, hair will fall out, you might get nauseous all the time....lots of bad side effects.

My iron levels are finally at a good place, for now. I"m sure they will start to dip again as time goes on. I've been fighting with keeping it steady for almost 10 years now, not fun. 1 IV of a liquid iron supplement, 2 blood transfers and countless supplements later its finally ok.
  • vitamina19
    vitamina19 Posts: 30
    Options
    B9 (folic acid) helps your body absorb B12 (iron) - i was iron deficient, but then a recent test showed my B12 to be good, but my B9 was really low, and so my B12 wasnt being absorbed

bassetts soft and chewy adult vitamins are good - i get a pack of 30 chews for around £3.00 which i personally dont mind paying for as i'm saving money on not buying take away food

B12 is not iron.