Anyone else use this app for macros?

Options
Out of curiousity! I see a lot of people going based off of calories and I feel that's the wrong way to go about it but to each their own. I'd like to follow a few people who count macros and lift

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I track macros and lift.

But...my macros are in part determined by my calorie goal. That's step one.
    1) Determine TDEE
    2) Set calorie goal based on TDEE (above if bulking, below if cutting)
    3) Determine minimum minimum grams of protein and fat
    4) Calculate calories from protein and fat
    5) Calculate remaining calories
    6) Divide remaining calories by 4 to determine grams of carbs

If you hit your macros every day but have an inappropriate calorie goal, your results will be affected.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I track them. I calculated them on IIFYM. Com
    I lift.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Calories first (obviously), fiber second, macros third for me, but yes, I track them.
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm in week one of tracking macros (set by calories using TDEE). Pretty much in the same order of importance as hornsby. If I meet my calorie goal then at the end of the day, I'm still mostly on track. Fiber and protein are next - if I can hit those and my calorie goal I'm in good shape for the day. Days I can hit cals + fiber/prtoein +carbs + fats are great. I'm having a hard time not going over on fats because I won't use low fat products, and cooking with olive oil or ghee on one meal can easily get me 1/3 of the way through that macro before food is added in.

I'm not lifting, but I swim on a masters team and am thinking of starting convict conditioning. I need to incorporate more strength, but am no looking to add a gym membership on top of my aquatics membership.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Yep, I had some medical issues so starting on here tracking macros and micros. I've been fortunate/made my own luck to not have a weight issue so calories are interesting, but not a big deal to me.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I track macros, but if I meet my macros, I am at the same calorie amount because 1 g of carb or protein=4 calories and 1 g fat = 9 calories. I lift so I think my macro split is important to get my body to take off the fat and not my muscle. However, I am still in a deficit calorie wise.
  • Kie_Hughes
    Kie_Hughes Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yeah I track macros @mandygtrrz