Lose fat gain muscle need advice pls

Options
Fit_Happens_2021
Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I am in a healthy bmi range and am not necessarily trying to lose much weight overall, but my body composition (if that is the right word) is not good. Last year my bod pod test said I have 32.6% fat, so I have too much fat and too little muscle and I want to know how I go about starting to change that. I know you can't just lose fat, that I will lose some muscle also, but I just need some pointers to get me going in the right direction.

I read that it is hard to gain muscle while eating a deficit, but I need to lose some of my fat so should I diet to lose weight and just do cardio, and then after loosing fat start strength training or do both now? Prior to this I was only concerned with loosing weight and counting calories, but now I want to get more of a direction other that just straight weight loss.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Short answer, start at a good progress weight program like Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules for Lifting for Women, etc.

Longer answer, losing fat and gaining muscle is a difficult slow process. Usually people would do a bulk, eat at a small surplus, lift heavy weights for a few months, then a cut where you keep lifting heavy weights, but cut your calories to a deficit.

The other option, albeit the slow route, is a re-comp. Here is a whole thread just on that. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do a recomp. It takes more time but maybe not as much as you think because you have to factor in newbie gains. If you're new to lifting, your body typically responds better to weight programs.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm looking at that link. I've only been using weight machines so far, I'm scared I will hurt myself with the free weights. Maybe I should join a better gym that has a trainer so I can learn how to use them.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer can give you good advice, guidance and at least make sure you use good form. There's plenty of good videos on YouTube to check out too.
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't be frightened of free weights! Maybe hire the services of a PT for a session or two to start you off with a free weight programme. After that you will find loads of exercises on websites such as Bodybuilding.com.
    I started on machines but soon found out that with the dumbbells and cable machines and onto barbell there are literally dozens of variations of exercises for the various parts of the body, you will never get bored! It is also good practice to occasionally vary exercises as your body can get a bit clever and start to plateau if you go through the same motions for months on end.....and drive you crackers with boredom.
    I still use machines such as the linear leg press but I love the "freedom" of the free weights. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you, I'm looking at that link. I've only been using weight machines so far, I'm scared I will hurt myself with the free weights. Maybe I should join a better gym that has a trainer so I can learn how to use them.

You are more likely to hurt yourself on smith machines as they don't follow your physiology. The best advice I will give you is this: start off light, work on the form and build up. If you want help, get a personal trainer to start you off.

But you will see much greater body improvements with a good weight training program, than cardio will even give you. Below is a good list of lifting programs, and links to those programs, that will get you started. All of these can be modified based on the equipment.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1