Why can't I loose weight?

Options
I've been dieting for about 3 weeks now and just bought a scale 2 weeks ago. I have a strict calorie intake of only 1200 calories which I always try to stay a little under. In all honesty, my diet is pretty balanced. I do light exercise, 1-3 week and started walking in the evenings. I weighed myself last week and I was 153.8 and I waited another week to really test myself and I'm still the same old weight...
Is there something I should improve on to see results? Please help! I really want to lose weight.

Replies

• jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Easy.

Do not go under 1200 calories. Your body NEEDS 1200 calories - eating less will not result in weight loss.
  • cguerra2013
    cguerra2013 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jaynee7283 wrote: »
    Easy.

Do not go under 1200 calories. Your body NEEDS 1200 calories - eating less will not result in weight loss.

Thanks!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    One week isn't really a measure of anything. You could be retaining water due to new exercises, sodium, TOM, stress...

Be patient, eat enough to nourish your body, and keep up the healthy habits.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Can you open your food diary? Although it's possible it will just take longer to see the results on the scale, 1,200 is a pretty large deficit for most people. We can help you tighten up your logging.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Easy.

False. Eating less WILL result in weight loss- it just won't be healthy because a larger portion of that weight lost will come from muscle/tissue and you're more likely to binge after.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Easy.

This isn't true at all.

I can eat under 1200 cals a day and still be peachy ... I'm also under 5 feet though. We don't know enough about the OP to claim something like this.

• cguerra2013
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Can you open your food diary? Although it's possible it will just take longer to see the results on the scale, 1,200 is a pretty large deficit for most people. We can help you tighten up your logging.

I made my diary public, I've tried to measure everything I eat and log consistently.. There has only been a few times I haven't logged something I ate, and it's never anything with a huge amount of calories

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    65ez5lenkogm.jpg

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Easy.

It will, a body always needs energy and will use energy from wherever it can find it. It just isn't healthy to force its hand like that. So your general message has merit, don't eat stupidly low amounts.

OP, one of the best things I've ever read on here is 'You didn't gain that weight overnight, so why do you expect to lose it overnight?'. Something like that, my point is think about how long it took to you put on whatever weight it is you want to lose. How does three weeks compare to that? Weight loss will happen if you are definitely eating at a deficit (make sure you're tracking, weighing, measuring accurately) and you give it enough time. Weigh once per week at the same time in the same unfed/fed state, wearing the same clothes and at the same time in regards to when you were last on the toilet. It all makes a difference to accuracy of results. Drinking plenty of water and eating plenty of fibre (especially vegetables) helps as well.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I made my diary public, I've tried to measure everything I eat and log consistently.. There has only been a few times I haven't logged something I ate, and it's never anything with a huge amount of calories

It isn't public yet.
  • cguerra2013
    Options

It isn't public yet.

I think it is now
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of stuff measured out with "cups".. I would switch to weighing everything.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Patience...
  • aware7
    aware7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle. It took me a while to see my loss on the scale, even though I was losing inches.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you double checking your entries? 60 seems low for a cup of tuna, for example.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    aware7 wrote: »
    You could be gaining muscle. It took me a while to see my loss on the scale, even though I was losing inches.

Nope. With only light walking and eating at a deficit, she is not gaining muscle. It is really very difficult to gain muscle.

OP: You don't appear to be using a food scale. I would start there.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week, and weight loss isn't linear. Be patient. Use this time to tighten up your logging. Purchase a food scale and weigh everything you eat. Find correct entries to use (a banana at 140 grams is not 100 calories).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Tighten up your logging.

Weigh your solid foods including the pre-packaged stuff) and double-check entries (you're using some that are not correct).
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Weigh your peanut butter and weigh your bread. I can all but guarantee you are eating more of that than you think.

Bread is notorious for the size of the slice not matching the nutritional info.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    +1 about the weighing everything. I tested this with rice a couple weeks ago.

The box said: 1/4 cup dry (48g) - so I took a measuring cup and put 1/4 cup on my scale. It was almost double the 48 grams on my scale. Weighing makes a huge difference. If I wouldn't have weighed it, I could have easily consumed 360 calories in rice, thinking it was only 180.