Any Cosplayer's out there?

Options
I like to dress up and go to Comic Conventions sometimes, totally not a PRO. One of my favorite Cosplays is Kaylee Frye from Firefly. I have had my jumpsuit for years and last october I had to actually take it in and didn't need to wear SPANX under it. This was a big NSV for me as pervious years it was super tight in the torso.

Since Oct 2015 when the last picture was taken I have lost 21LBS so I am looking forward to suiting up again this summer/fall.h7nywxqw3qro.jpg

Replies

• ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Very cool! November was my first attempt at cosplay and I dressed as Rose Tyler from Dr. Who and it was a flop. April I am going to do Kaylee Frye. I just ordered my jumpsuit, patches, an parisol and shirt. I couldn't find an exact shirt or parisol, so I got a pinkish/purple shirt and a purple, oriental print parisol. I'm so excited. Your costume looks great.
  • kathryna615
    kathryna615 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That will be hanging off of you next time you wear it!

I haven't cosplayed YET, but will be going to Blizzcon this year and have slowly started to create a cosplay based on a character I play in World of Warcraft.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with Kaywinnet Lee Frye
    tightpants-1433280495.gif
  • rgbmore
    rgbmore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've done a few, Lucy from Fairy Tail just months after having a baby and that was a DISASTER. I had the top, the hair, accessories, but wore skinny jeans instead of the short skirt. Yes I was overweight, but the absolute HARASSMENT for being a chunky Lucy---it was excessive.

Stuck to different conventions and brought my husband along after that. Most recently cosplayed as Ellie Sattler from Jurassic Park. I have a dream cosplay of Harlequin (jester outfit, maybe not a skin tight leotard but similar), so that fuels my goals. I'd love to cosplay and not get mean comments, but I think that happens no matter what size you are.

Your Kaylee cosplay is adorable and looks really comfy! Congrats on making it even comfier by not needing SPANX!
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love Comic Con with my kids... I just put my energy into their costumes. Last year I had a Monster High doll and Ash from Pokémon.. this year, Star Lord and Rey. The Star Lord costume took me many moons for last Halloween and I'm pumped he wants to wear it again to a convention. I can't imagine people being *kitten* about it... sorry that was your experience. I can't imagine getting ridiculed for anything at our comic con. That's where everyone comes to nerd out and let their freak flags fly.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Kaylee!! A couple years ago my boyfriend and I did genderbent Kaylee and Simon :]

I've been super fortunate to not have anyone say anything to my face about being too fat for the character I'm cosplaying, but I'm sure comments are made behind closed doors. It happens. I'm currently trying to slim down a bit before my next con (in May) XP
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    IMG_3486.JPG

Oh hi. Sadly I sold my Kaylee jumpsuit a couple of years ago as I'd lost too much weight for it. I still have the parasol, though, and might make a new one some day.
  • rgbmore
    Options
    I love Comic Con with my kids... I just put my energy into their costumes. Last year I had a Monster High doll and Ash from Pokémon.. this year, Star Lord and Rey. The Star Lord costume took me many moons for last Halloween and I'm pumped he wants to wear it again to a convention. I can't imagine people being *kitten* about it... sorry that was your experience. I can't imagine getting ridiculed for anything at our comic con. That's where everyone comes to nerd out and let their freak flags fly.

My daughter is turning three and has cosplayed a ton, she's much more fun (and easier) to make costumes for. That's awesome it's a family event for you guys! My kid has been Perry the Platypus (as a tiny 4 month old!) an Ewok (chubby six month old), Happy from Fairy Tail (seven months), Pikachu (1 year old), Godzilla (1), Rainbow Dash (1), and a triceratops (2). She's getting old enough to have fun dressing up, but she also definitely has an opinion! Our local comic con has been much nicer than any anime conventions when it comes to people.

Monster High looks so fun costume design wise, too!
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Haven't made it to a Con yet but I love cosplaying. My plan in a few sizes is an ambitious Steampunk Wonder Woman, hopefully for my first Con. Last fall I did a '50's Housewife version of Minnie Mouse and I did American Maid. I used to dress up all the time when I was a size 6-8. Sometimes just to go shopping, ha!jdozaz5jwvn5.jpeg
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I cosplay as Michiru Kaioh/Sailor Neptune. Actually working on her school uniform right now!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Sheik from Ocarina of Time is my best cosplay. The suit is skintight so I'd better look good in it! May fish out some pics from when I was 40 lbs heavier and wore it--spandex may not be forgiving, but multiple layers are better than 1.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Kaylee! Kaylee!
    I used to do a lot of cosplay, but not so much anymore, although my husband and I are toying with putting together Ichabod and Katrina from Sleepy Hollow.
  • rgbmore
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    Sheik from Ocarina of Time is my best cosplay. The suit is skintight so I'd better look good in it! May fish out some pics from when I was 40 lbs heavier and wore it--spandex may not be forgiving, but multiple layers are better than 1.

Ohhhh I want to be Sheik too! Her Hyrule Warriors outfit is my favorite. She's beyond my crafting ability, though. Pics please! (Only if you want to post them!) I think if I ever cosplayed her I'd have to take yoga ahead of time so I could stretch into some semblance of her (simpler!) poses, lol.
  • rgbmore
    Options
    I cosplay as Michiru Kaioh/Sailor Neptune. Actually working on her school uniform right now!

Sailor Scout/Senshi cosplays are such a staple for any convention, I think. Fun!!
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I went to Otakon as Tsunade one year.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    One of my big weight loss goals was to finally lean out enough to cosplay River. I'm close but still have some work to do. then I just have to convince my hubby that he'd make a stellar Wash so I don't have to go to con alone :/
  • rgbmore
    Options
    One of my big weight loss goals was to finally lean out enough to cosplay River. I'm close but still have some work to do. then I just have to convince my hubby that he'd make a stellar Wash so I don't have to go to con alone :/

It's so much more fun to go with someone to cons or meet up with friends. I went alone before and it was a bummer. Also, couple/group cosplays are always so fun to see. :)
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    love it!!! i don't have any good pictures floating around but my favorites are psycho mantis from metal gear solid and the biker from hotline miami. my boyfriend and i might be going to dallas comic-con again this year so i hope i haven't grown out of my mantis bodysuit. last year when we went i was really skinny-fat and that doesn't mix well with vinyl bondage gear. had a picture taken with gillian anderson, i cried when i saw it. o(;△;)o
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone to a comic con or blizzcon, yet. I want to so bad. The closest thing I have done to cosplay so far is dressing up as Harley Quinn for Halloween last year.
    1wtkvp3i9nnc.jpg