Who decides what I can buy depending on what country I live

Options
I just wanted to know who it is that makes the decision that I can't buy certain foods because of where I live!

For instance, I see other people's diaries on here and you can tell straightaway whether they live in USA or UK just by what they're listing. We get the same "brands" of food but not the same varieties. I love Skinny Cow products but we only get a couple of different flavours in the UK whereas I know that they have at least double the amount of choice in America. It's not fair :sad:

I think I need to move to the USA!
Or Canada or Australia! Didn't mean to leave you guys out!

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow has only just come to Aus... we don't have many flavours yet either.

I'm totally jealous of the 100 cal packs that seem to be swamping the US though... I have to count everything out myself!! And the prices that someone posted about cheap healthy food... Bananas are 40 cents each?? Here they are $12.99 a kilo!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options

ah, but then you wouldn't get jaffa cakes, and the cadburys chocolate would taste different
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I agree...the cost of healthy fresh foods in the UK is beyond a joke...I get mine from a local market once a week, lovely and fresh and 1/2 the cost of the supermarket...but its only once a week so by Tuesday we are out of fruit.

No to mention every brand/store has diffrent ways of recording nutritional info...some per piece/slice other per 100g or worse they deem the portion size based on calories then you get home and realise your portion size is a lot bigger than theirs...lol

martyxxx
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options

ah, but then you wouldn't get jaffa cakes, and the cadburys chocolate would taste different

what??!!:noway:
    No jaffa cakes...forget it then I'm staying put...lol

martyxxx
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options

what??!!:noway:
    No jaffa cakes...forget it then I'm staying put...lol

martyxxx

Oh, I didn't really think this one through did I? lol :laugh:
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Ok, you are going to have to tell us in North America what we are missing in a jaffa cake?
  • nimbi
    nimbi Posts: 27
    Options
    American chocolate is DISGUUUUSTING. Stay where you are. ;)
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    American chocolate is DISGUUUUSTING. Stay where you are. ;)

But isn't that a good thing for us trying to lay off the sweets? lol.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The java cake sounds awesome!! I don't know what it is, but I want it!! LOL!! :love:
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    They are a cakey sort of base (but controversially sold in the biscuit(cookie) isle) with a layer of orange flavoured goo and topped with chocolate.
    jaffa-cakes.jpg
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options

WHAAAT! now what kind of country doesn't have Jaffa cakes!
    I wanted to move to the states, but i don't think i could live somewhere with no Jaffa cakes. Maybe i'll just visit then.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    I just wanted to know who it is that makes the decision that I can't buy certain foods because of where I live!

For instance, I see other people's diaries on here and you can tell straightaway whether they live in USA or UK just by what they're listing. We get the same "brands" of food but not the same varieties. I love Skinny Cow products but we only get a couple of different flavours in the UK whereas I know that they have at least double the amount of choice in America. It's not fair :sad:

I think you need to forget about that kind of food and eat healthily............shakes head...
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    They are a cakey sort of base (but controversially sold in the biscuit(cookie) isle) with a layer of orange flavoured goo and topped with chocolate.
    jaffa-cakes.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Jaffa cakes. I think i'll go pick up another packet from Tesco seeing as i ate the last one :)
  • crazycranberry
    crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    3 words for you........................

USA = NO CADBURYS!!!!
  • samira3123
    samira3123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I live in Norway and you should see the prices here. Everything is sooo expensive. I've seen how the tourists react when they enter the the stores around here.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely staying put! No Jaffa cakes, no move! lol
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I live in France usually, which is great because I live cheese. And quiche. But we don't have any of the things I miss from the uk.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I know that they have at least double the amount of choice in America. It's not fair :sad:

I suppose it's our great Capitalist economy. On the other hand, I was listening to a story on the radio about Grocery Store Marketing Tricks - and how they arrange products based on what they want to sell, and monitor how people are buying and moving through the store. One I hate, is the Milk is all the way at the back - so I have to walk all the way through the store, usually through the junk food aisle (potato chips, soda) to get a dang gallon of milk.

Listening to another story about exchange students - and they said when they come and walk into a typical American grocery store, and are confronted with the Ceral aisle - they're just dumfounded - at about 50 different choices of Ceral - and literally can't make a decision because they're not used to having so many choices.

Interesting how you can look at someone's diet and tell where they live.

I've also known some friends from China - and tell me that "Chinese Food" at a restaurant here is NOTHING like "real" Chinese food. It's been Amercanized. And at a Mexican restaurant, I can get a, I forget - a burrito or a taco (one of them) - and they don't even have those in Mexico ...
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've also known some friends from China - and tell me that "Chinese Food" at a restaurant here is NOTHING like "real" Chinese food. It's been Amercanized. And at a Mexican restaurant, I can get a, I forget - a burrito or a taco (one of them) - and they don't even have those in Mexico ...

Yep, it's the same here in the UK with Italian restaurants. The food may be similar but the way the meals are set out and the portion sizes bear little resemblance to how it is back home!
    3 words for you........................

USA = NO CADBURYS!!!!

The only time I have ever thrown chocolate away was when I was in LA! I bought what I thought was Dairy Milk (I knew better than to try any American 'chocolate' - sorry chaps!); it looked like CDM. It said it was CDM on the wrapper. However, the brown stuff inside was more akin to chocolate-scented wax than actual food! Into the bin it went...although not before I had a look at the wrapper and discovered it was manufactured by Hershey. :sick:

There are too many foods I love that I would pine for in the US, not least, cheese and good olive oil!
  • kimfabey
    kimfabey Posts: 1
    Options
    There are some good kinds of American chocolate - usually smaller/less widely distributed though. But it's quite easy to buy imported Swiss/German/Belgian/French chocolate here - all the local supermarkets here carry quite a few different imported brands. I agree that the Hershey's et. al. chocolate is horrible though!

It's true that food here is so much cheaper - bananas range from 40-60 cents per pound (so I guess that's around $0.88-$1.32 a kilo), and if you go to the right places at the right time, other fruits and veggies are almost as cheap.