Week 6 Couch to 5k

Options
So yesterday I did the first workout of week 6 on the couch to 5k plan. It was a little rough....

I was supposed to warm up then run 5 min, walk 3 min, run 8 min, walk3 min, and then run 5 min. The 8 minute run was too much for me so I split it up into 5 and 3 minute runs. I'm a little worried cause the next workout is supposed to be 10 minute run, 3 min walk, then another 10 min run. I don't think i'm ready for that.

Has anyone else had trouble advancing during this week or others??

Replies

• mags06
    mags06 Posts: 29
    Options
    So yesterday I did the first workout of week 6 on the couch to 5k plan. It was a little rough....

I was supposed to warm up then run 5 min, walk 3 min, run 8 min, walk3 min, and then run 5 min. The 8 minute run was too much for me so I split it up into 5 and 3 minute runs. I'm a little worried cause the next workout is supposed to be 10 minute run, 3 min walk, then another 10 min run. I don't think i'm ready for that.

Has anyone else had trouble advancing during this week or others??
  • cham1210
    Options
    I haven't tried it but would like to. Where can I get information about starting the program?
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I can't help you with the advanced parts. I'm still on week 1. I've decided to do 4 exercises per week instead of 3, to help build my stamina better.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!

If you need any help I am also going to start training for my first 5k this year. Someone on here told me about this site and it is a 9 week Couch to 5K maybe this one will be easier for you.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • pford03
    pford03 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi there. I'm new to myfitnesspal and this is the first I've heard of the Couch to 5K. My daughter and I are planning on running a 5K for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and would love to get more information on this program. Any suggestions on where I can get the info?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm about to do a 5K on Superbowl sunday, and I never have been able to run for more than 5 min. period. I just walk for a minute whenever I feel really winded and then start running again. If you aren't feeling like you can do any more, then repeat a week of the training. My training says I'm supposed to run 3 miles this sunday, but I can tell you that will be a walk/run because I just can't do that yet. I will be happy just to complete the 5K, I'm not trying to be competitive.

Good luck!

Kaiser Permanente has a really gentle 12 week program that I've been trying to folow. They start you out with walk 3 min, run one, then gradually decrease the walking to only one minute and longer minutes of running.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm repeating week 2 for the third time. :bigsmile:
    Don't stress it. Just repeat the day you are on until you are ready to move to the next.
    It's not about how long it takes you to get there, so long as you get there.
  • mags06
    Options
    I am using the couch to 5k plan from http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

This is a 9 week program. The program says to to the plan 3 times per week, but I also increased it to 4 or 5 times per week to increase my stamina. It is just this week that it was super hard for me to stick to the plan. I am going to do day 1 of week 6 over again before I move on.

I am trying to do a 5k in March! I would like to run the whole thing, but if I need to walk some that would be fine!!

Good luck!!
  • aeswan
    aeswan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I did Cough to 5k this fall, and sometimes found that after a tough day, the next day would be easier--it depends on so many things, mental & physical... so repeat your Day 1 if you need to, or next time you go out, if you're feeling better, go for the 10 minutes!
  • mags06
    Options
    Well I repeated Day 1 of week 6 and I was able to complete it!! I did it on a treadmill today and it seems that I can always finish what i'm supposed to do on a treamill rather than running outside or on a track....weird!