Cooking oatmeal in the microwave.

Options
Has anyone ever cooked quick oats in the microwave if so can you tell me the measurements of oats to water and how long to cook it. Thanks

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup oats, 1 cup water, tablespoon raisins and a tablespoon of powdered milk. Because I like it creamy. You can skip the raisins and powdered milk.

Every microwave is different for time, but I put mine on for four minutes and watched it. As soon as it threatened to overboil, I turned off the microwave.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Every microwave is different for time, but I put mine on for four minutes and watched it. As soon as it threatened to overboil, I turned off the microwave.

Yes, definitely watch it closely or you'll end up with an oatmeal volcano in your microwave. Never a good thing.
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Yes, definitely watch it closely or you'll end up with an oatmeal volcano in your microwave. Never a good thing.

Pretty much this for me every time. Usually I'm cooking eggs and a bagel as well as the oatmeal, so I forget about it and end up with the volcano.
  • Chrissieb86
    Chrissieb86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Give it a good stir half way through too... It's also nice to add cinnamon/nutmeg before you microwave it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup oats, 1 cup water, tablespoon raisins and a tablespoon of powdered milk. Because I like it creamy. You can skip the raisins and powdered milk.

4 minutes for quick oats?

I do what the package says... 40g, 1 cup of water, and cooked for 1.30 to 2 minutes.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Yup, do what the package says, use a BIG bowl and watch it so it doesn't boil over and make a mess. (The BIG bowl is supposed to keep that from happening but oatmeal is a tricky little devil. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

4 minutes for quick oats?

I do what the package says... 40g, 1 cup of water, and cooked for 1.30 to 2 minutes.

Oops. It must have been a while since I made this. Or I have a very old microwave. These days I usually cook a cup dry at a time and store it in the refrigerator.
  • gideonsbible
    gideonsbible Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    30g of oats, splash of water 20g of raisins, a sprinkle of mixed seeds and 100ml of milk. 1.30 in the microwave and Bob's your uncle :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Yup, do what the package says, use a BIG bowl and watch it so it doesn't boil over and make a mess. (The BIG bowl is supposed to keep that from happening but oatmeal is a tricky little devil. :)

I've timed mine perfectly and it just starts to boil over when it ends... so I never get a mess.

If I add anything in my oatmeal though, yeah, gotta use a big bowl, lol.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

I've timed mine perfectly and it just starts to boil over when it ends... so I never get a mess.

If I add anything in my oatmeal though, yeah, gotta use a big bowl, lol.

The cooking gods must truly favor you...unlike me. :) Altho, to be fair, I don't use that big of a bowl to begin with. I just stsnd in front of the microwave, stop it when the oatmeal gets too high, let it settle a bit, and then microwave some more until it does it again.
  • mOsThaGod
    mOsThaGod Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Alllll the time...better texture for me and it's just my taste buds ok...but it just depends...but they way i do it is i start out with just a bit less than the directions...stop it 1:30 after start...stir and add milk or water as needed to my liking of texture