Metabolic Storm

Options
My doctor gave me a reading assignment, download and read The Metabolic Storm. This book is eye opening. If you have tried multiple diets and lost weight only to gain it all back, then you need to read this book. It explains what is happening in your body and that it has nothing to do with avoiding certain foods or lack of willpower. Weight loss is mostly about your body's biology and not about a certain number of calories. It was such a relief to know that it wasnt my fault that all those diet tricks never worked. I'm finally starting to slowly lose weight by following my dr and the info in the book.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Or you could just not do any crazy diets, not cut out anything you love, but eat a good mix of real foods and favorite treats, sustain a reasonable calorie deficit, and lose weight at a healthy rate, then keep it off for the rest of your life by sticking to your new healthy habits.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Or you could just not do any crazy diets, not cut out anything you love, but eat a good mix of real foods and favorite treats, sustain a reasonable calorie deficit, and lose weight at a healthy rate, then keep it off for the rest of your life by sticking to your new healthy habits.

But it's so much more satisfying to find a book that contains the answer to life, the universe, and everything!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options

But it's so much more satisfying to find a book that contains the answer to life, the universe, and everything!

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

True dat.

:D
    ETA: But what was the question?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My doctor gave me a reading assignment, download and read The Metabolic Storm. This book is eye opening. If you have tried multiple diets and lost weight only to gain it all back, then you need to read this book. It explains what is happening in your body and that it has nothing to do with avoiding certain foods or lack of willpower. Weight loss is mostly about your body's biology and not about a certain number of calories. It was such a relief to know that it wasnt my fault that all those diet tricks never worked. I'm finally starting to slowly lose weight by following my dr and the info in the book.

You need a new Dr.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell from the reviews, the premise is basically that restricting calories messes up your metabolism and your hormones. And to fix it, you need to go to your doctor, get your hormone levels checked, and then let your doctor prescribe you something to fix your hormones. At least that seems to be what people were getting out of it.

If that's the case, it's nothing really new, I've been reading that in magazines and blogs for a while. But most people I know well enough to observe their eating/exercise habits who insist they can't lose weight are making themselves crazy trying to follow fad diets instead of just accurately portioning and logging their intake.

Anyway, I would much rather it be "my fault" so I can fix it (which I did!) than have it be some magic formula that requires a doctor and prescriptions to fix.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options

True dat.

:D
    ETA: But what was the question?

No one knows. But that is the answer.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options

We have to ask Arthur Dent. He knows the question.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's a parade of cats in your profile pics! I love this thread.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's a parade of cats in your profile pics! I love this thread.

There.