Changing my goals, from 1lb to 1/2 lb per week

Options
I lost 5lbs in May which is the first month I started using MFP. Now June is almost over and I haven't lost a single pound. Instead I just keep fluctuating up 1lb then back down again each week. I know part of the reason is that a few days a week I overeat my calories. I would reach my limit for the day, still be hungry and want a little bit more, and then once I already went over by a little then some days I would just keep going and eat more. So I changed my goals from losing 1lb per week to 1/2 lb per week to give myself a little more wiggle room when it came to calories. I know my weight loss will be a LOT slower now but slow weight loss is better than no weight loss. Hopefully I can shed a few more pounds over this next coming month.

Replies

• ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I recently upped my baseline calorie intake too, from 1300 to 1420 cals, for the same reason.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • zaz936
    zaz936 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had to do the same thing. I have a lot of weight to loose, so I thought that 2 pounds a week would be good. Well... no. I always went over; and it stressed me out. Since I brought it down to 1 1/2, it is much better. I feel that I can make it, and you know what? It's working!
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hope it works for you. I'm trying yo get minu up to maintenance level incresing my daily alllowance by 50 cal each week, the mad thing is when I was set for 1/2 lb a week loss I was losing 0.2lb a week, whan I was just 170/120 cals per day off maintenance (which is about 0.25lb a week loss) I lost 1lb each week - so who knows! Good luck
  • jennyelle
    jennyelle Posts: 2
    Options
    Anyone, with any BMI, based on STANDARD nutritional requirements to have healthy functioning organs--should NEVER, EVER, EVER go under 1200 calories a day.....Sure, you'll lose weight. Of course you would. Your body is going to eat the muscle mass that you try extremely hard to put on, and the entire starvation mode will backfire....The SECOND you want to eat something "bad," or even go out for a drink, it's times two on your body....So, please watch out for information like this....If you don't want to yoyo diet, and have enough self respect, stop reading and start RESEARCHING the correct eductional data about this topic---the internet/wikipedia are the worst..because most often it's people's opinions and what worked for them, NOT what is right for your body!!!!!!!!!!!
  • losinfat4good
    Options
    Good luck! I did the same and went to lose 1/2 lb per week also and I just burn an extra 250 for my one pound loss. I'm feeling a lot better now that I eat a bit more! Good luck
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bump