What are the essentials for at home.?.weights ball resistance band ect. Where to start?

Options
Just bought an elliptical and stationary bike. What are the other key things I really need? How much should I work out daily and is there a good website to find all answers. I have never worked out before and I don't want to fail. Just overwhelmed with how to get started

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    What are you goals/stats? The only "essential" you're going to hear every one quote on here is a scale to weigh your food with a tare function. The rest depends on preference, goals, space, etc. Good luck!
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    To echo @ashliefisch, the most important thing is going to be your diet. You can't out run a bad one. To make that happen effectively, you really NEED a digital food scale and then weigh everything you eat. I say weigh because measuring by volume can be subjective. The scale is not subjective, it is going to give you the precise reading.

Next you need to get a good baseline of where you are: weight, height, measurements, body fat percentage and a pic of you in something that can't hide where you are. Be modest so you can show others though :) If you plan on lifting, then a baseline of what you are capable of. Here are some great Day 1 body weight exercises: push up, lunge, squat and crunch. See how many perfect one you can do. All of these will give you points of comparison 30, 60, 90, 365 days down the line.

Lastly, pick short term and long term goals. Don't just say you want to lose 50 lbs or be able to run a 5k. That may well be you "end" goal. Instead set your goals to maybe 10 lbs in six weeks or be able to walk a 5k. As you reach your goals, celebrate the accomplishment and set new goals. No one climbed Everest in a day. Effort and perseverance off the field make winners on the field.

Welcome to MFP. Good Luck!
  • hybridangel
    hybridangel Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You don't need anything in theory yoir boyeeigjt is enough for resistance. Squats, plank, press upz push ups,
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    OP, I have an elliptical/stationary bike and use them 90% of the time. I also walk or run every day. I did not start running until I was on maintenance, but used the elliptical/bike every day until then and walked 3 miles per day. I lost 75# this way. Oh, yeah, MFP had me on 1200 calories. Made me very crabby. I suggest eating more calories and exercising. My best advice is to start out slow so you do not burn out or injure yourself. At first, I could only do 5 minutes elliptical/15 bike. I worked up the times to an hour and finally an hour just elliptical. You may friend me if you want. Best wishes :smiley:
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    1. Kitchen Scale
    2. Measuring cups and spoons