Strength training

Options
Hello,
I am all in for a lifestyle change. And being new to all of this, I have a question. I have seen so many post about how people have lost weight and tightened saggy areas and it seems strength training is the way to go. I have looked up strength training and I really don't think I can do a lot of the moves. I weighed (gasp) 290.6 lbs on Feb 23, after seeing the scale at the doctors office I about cried. Since then I have watched my carbs and added protein (which I cant ever hit my goal) and stay under my calories. I walk 4/5 days a week for anywhere between 30-60 mins.

Being so much over weight is there strength training for someone my weight or should I keep doing what I am doing until I weigh less then add strength training?

Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What don't you think you can do? The most important lifts are the squat, deadlift, bench press, and overhead press.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Meh, I started strength training when I was about 400 lbs or so. You can do stuff with machines if you want, but make sure that your focus with those is just getting strong enough so you can do the big barbell lifts @arditarose mentioned.
  • arditarose
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »
    Meh, I started strength training when I was about 400 lbs or so. You can do stuff with machines if you want, but make sure that your focus with those is just getting strong enough so you can do the big barbell lifts @arditarose mentioned.

@fatfudgery and you're an inspiration!

• fatfudgery
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • stephheath
    stephheath Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, jumping I am currently 286 lbs some of that is quite dangerous for an obese woman that is doing this completely alone. I don't know what a deadlift is, but if it's lifting my own weight that's out.
  • arditarose
    Options
    stephheath wrote: »
    Squats, lunges, jumping I am currently 286 lbs some of that is quite dangerous for an obese woman that is doing this completely alone. I don't know what a deadlift is, but if it's lifting my own weight that's out.

You don't need to be lunging and jumping. Start with a bodyweight squat, and start adding weight. Watch videos on form before you do anything.

@fatfudgery what program did you start with?
  • stephheath
    Options
    If i can manage to even do each for a few seconds would it help? I just don't want to hurt myself and be back to square 1.
  • stephheath
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    stephheath wrote: »

You don't need to be lunging and jumping. Start with a bodyweight squat, and start adding weight. Watch videos on form before you do anything.

@fatfudgery what program did you start with?

OK thank you... I'll definitely do that.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    there's not need to start with hard stuff. it's best to get someone to show you how to do things properly and things that are adequate for you - for what you can do. Just saying because I was trying to show a co-worker how to do some basic things (she is obese) and she literally couldn't physically do some stuff. I am not a trainer or an expert. Even something like a squat might need to be modified for someone when they are starting out or injuries may occur. YOu don't need to start with deadlifts and squats - use machines and slowly work your way up. get a good PT to show you how to do things
  • fatfudgery
    Options
    Intimidating? Maybe. Dangerous? Not really, no. You don't have to start squatting 300 lbs right away. :)
  • fatfudgery
    Options
    @arditarose I started with a personal trainer, Steph. Then once I had some confidence I did Stronglifts for a while.

The thing is most beginners aren't strong enough to squat properly and to depth, even with just body weight - but that's what the leg press is for: to build enough strength so you can do real lifting. Mark rippetoe has a good video on youtube about exactly this topic.
  • arditarose
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »
    @arditarose I started with a personal trainer, Steph. Then once I had some confidence I did Stronglifts for a while.

The thing is most beginners aren't strong enough to squat properly and to depth, even with just body weight - but that's what the leg press is for: to build enough strength so you can do real lifting. Mark rippetoe has a good video on youtube about exactly this topic.

Good to know. Seems like a trainer would be beneficial in this case.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Am 73 with a bit of arthritis. 30-40 lbs is " heavy" just now. That's ok-started at 10-20. Go for it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Start with machines for a couple weeks to get the movements down and the muscles used to working and then do a compound program when you are comfortable.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I think lifting is great for women of any size. Just start slow. Get a trainer for a couple sessions if you need one.

I was once 240 and I attend powerlifting meets with women who are 250+. I Crossfit with a woman who is 280 ish. The cool thing about being bigger is that you might be stronger than you realize. I had gotten quite strong carrying around my own bodyweight and when I started lifting and doing Crossfit, I came in much stronger than the smaller girls. I've since gotten leaner but kept or increased my strength.

I've met women of all sizes through my involvement with powerlifting, and it's been so inspiring to see great athletes of all shapes and weights!