Does it matter if I go over on my carbs a bit as long as I'm within my calorie goal?

Options
From what I've read on here I'm thinking it's mostly about the calories. But I just want to make sure it's ok. My daily goal is 1,360 calories a day, and I'm done eating for the day with 70 calories left. But I see that I've gone over my carbs. This isn't a daily occurrence, but if this happens occasionally is that going to hinder my progress?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Not unless you have a medical condition that requires a special diet.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I lost 71lbs in 11 months ignored macros
  • pebbles1177
    pebbles1177 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's great! How did you lose 71 lbs in 11 months?
  • rosamera_3
    rosamera_3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No it wouldn't hinder your progress at all
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy...

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic you need to worry about carbs. If not just worry about calories. I try to hit my protein goal every day and just let the carbs and fats fill out the rest. So far I've lost 32 pounds in 24 weeks.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    From what I've read on here I'm thinking it's mostly about the calories.

It's all about the calories, as far as weight loss is concerned. You will lose just as much eating 1,360 calories of McDonald's every day as you will eating 1,360 calories of lean meats and vegetables. However, your overall health will be worse, because McDonald's is not nutritious, and your will be hungrier in general, because of the carbs and other ingredients in McDonald's foods (and lots of fried/fast foods).

You actually don't need to worry about carbs at all. But, like I said above, they can tend to make people hungrier, whereas fatty and protein-y foods are more satiating for longer. But all of them will give you the same weight loss/gain results if you eat the same amount of calories.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Eat all the carbs you want!! I eat 250-450g every day and have lost 18kg. I never felt satiated on a higher protein and fat diet, I always overate. Now that I eat enough carbs, I can't overeat that much.
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used to try to limit carb as I thought I will lose weight better that way. But ever since I eat carb like crazy again but fit in my cal goal I found that I still lose weight anyway :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I am a carb fool, and I often go way over my carbs daily. Not every day, but often enough. It hasn't stopped me from losing at all. The only macro I track is protein, because I normally don't eat nearly enough.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Carbs are sugar. So, to answer your question, purely for WEIGHT loss, it's calories that matter. However, for FAT loss, carbs come into play. The more carbs you eat, the less FAT you will burn. Pure Science. So, it depends on what kind of weight you really want to lose. (fat, water/muscle)