Stress vs Diet

Options
What do you do to manage your stress and keep good habits when you are in a very stressful and busy period?
Loosing weight is so much easier when you have a routine and time to prepare lunchs and go to the gym..

any tricks?

Replies

• momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Just 20-30 minutes of walking on the treadmill or really doing any cardio for that long will relieve stress. Endorphins are released which fight against stress.

Meditation is also a good stress reliever. 15 minutes a day is all it takes. Find a repetitive sound (like a ceiling fan rattling) and focus on listening to it. There's a free app called White Noise that has all sorts of sounds to meditative with.

One way to prepare meals quicker is to make all your lunches and dinners for the week on Sunday. There are other people on here who can give further advice on how to do it. But once you prep the meals, they're ready for you to eat in seconds. It saves you time during the week.
  • LadyLethe
    LadyLethe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am completely here with you. I'm in the middle of moving and have a stressful job.

For lunches, I use leftovers and put them in a container for the morning so I can throw it in my lunch box. In the morning, while I wait for my breakfast to cook (quick cook oats that I top with fruit and flax seed), I wash my fruit and vegetables and put them in their containers so they taste fresh for lunch and snacks. Plus, I have my first water bottle of the day in the fridge over night because I really like my water cold (I have one of those super sweet water bottles with a built in filter so i fill up at work without wasting the money and plastic).

In a pinch, I have low cal canned soups that I throw in a container, but the sodium can be crazy, so I don't like to do that. I also like tuna packs or throwing together a salad and using some salsa for dressing. I also like to meal prep to an extent. I make a few dinners on Sunday that last a few days for both lunches and dinners for everyone in the house, so they still taste fairly fresh and we don't get sick of eating it. I have made too much of things and get bored with it, so making a few things on sunday and ensuring I get my fruit and vegetables bought helps.

For getting to the gym..thats still a struggle in the midst of all the madness, but having a gym buddy has helped me. At times, I do random things I have access to from home for a quick work out (30 day shred, stairs in your house to run, youtube videos).

The biggest trick that I am learning is caring for my memtal health during those hectic times. I struggle with anxiety issues, so learning and implementing coping skills, like reading, coloring, exercising, breathing exercises, have really helped. Focus on your mental well being and that will help lower the anxiety and increase your ability to plan and feel less stressed. :)

Hope this helps! Good luck and even with all the stress, you can do it!
  • LadyMarylou
    LadyMarylou Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thank you LadyLethe and momo_t90!!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I do a DVD workout when I get up. I have pre-prepared breakfast and I quickly make a salad for lunch in under 5 minutes. I count calories. You'll lose weight if you can keep the calories down, even if you can only work out a few days a week.
  • KimmyJaneTD
    KimmyJaneTD Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree with all that was stated.

For me "meal prepping" is done day-to-day. I normally cook a bigger dinner, or cook the protein separate so I can use it again for lunch, but maybe in a different fashion. For example I may make chicken breast for dinner, and cut up chicken to go over a salad, or in a wrap the next day. Usually when I pack things I try to put wax paper or cling wrap in between wet ingredients to keep it fresh in the fridge for longer.. so I don't have to take it the next day if I don't want to.
    I personally don't have the time or patiences to cook a ton on the weekend. I've just learned to adjust to still have meals for the next few days. I buy romaine hearts at the grocery store for lettuce wraps, which goes well with really any kind of meat you may have cooked for dinner, add some cucumber slices, tomato and maybe some dressing and you're set. You can also just do salads, or sandwiches.
    I know that tends to get boring. I will sometimes cook quinoa or black beans to pair with the protien, just to have something to pair it with for lunch.
    I could go on and on... it just comes down to what you have time to do? Do you have time to set aside on the weekends to meal prep, or do you already cook dinner every night and maybe just want to learn to prep a few extra servings. It's whatever you can swing.
    Exercise doesn't have to be done in 30 min increments. I have found I just get away from my desk every hour or so, and walk up and down the stairs and go back to my desk. I park in the furthest spot in the parking lot and take the long way into my apartment building. Usually that is enough to burn around 150 calories according to my fitbit HR