Cutting sugar

Options
Im wanting to cut sugar. I have alreadt cut out pop, candy, baked goods, artificial sweetners, high fructose corn syrup and any other words in the ingrediants that secretly mean sugar lol. What else should i be looking for? And if the nutrition facts say x amount of sugar i shouldnt be eating it right? I know things have natrual sugars so how do i tell if im eating bad sugars or good sugars. Right now i only eat something if it has less then 2 grams of sugar and non of the secret suger words in the ingrediants.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Unless you are cutting out sugar for a medical reason, you can just moderate it. There's nothing wrong with some sugar in our lives.
  • msmonsterafx1
    msmonsterafx1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Unless you are cutting out sugar for a medical reason, you can just moderate it. There's nothing wrong with some sugar in our lives.

For sure! I have no intentions of cutting like fruits and moderate amounts of grains. Honestly, im just finding it a little to easy. I feel like im missing something.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

For sure! I have no intentions of cutting like fruits and moderate amounts of grains. Honestly, im just finding it a little to easy. I feel like im missing something.

What you're missing is the fact that, unless you have a medical need to, you don't need to worry so much.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Eh. When I eat high protein, lots of vegetable, moderate to little fruit, and no rice/pasta-I'm around or under what MFP suggests. I don't find it difficult. I also don't care if I go over on sugar though, at least as far as weight loss or maintenance goes. It's all about calories.
  • msmonsterafx1
    msmonsterafx1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One of my triggers is sugar. i cant have just a little. I was sick for like 4 days when i started cutting. I feel really confident about my sugar intake now, but a few people were telling me it was so hard and they cant even walk near sweats without intense cravings. I dont have those problems. I turned down cake the other day!!! So from what your saying, maybe im taking in a decent level of sugar, and they are not.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have cut out most sugars in a way that is working for you. That's great. If it is agreeing with you, I would just go with it. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Im wanting to cut sugar. I have alreadt cut out pop, candy, baked goods, artificial sweetners, high fructose corn syrup and any other words in the ingrediants that secretly mean sugar lol. What else should i be looking for? And if the nutrition facts say x amount of sugar i shouldnt be eating it right? I know things have natrual sugars so how do i tell if im eating bad sugars or good sugars. Right now i only eat something if it has less then 2 grams of sugar and non of the secret suger words in the ingrediants.

artificial sweeteners do not "mean" sugar. They are zero calorie. Also, none of those words are "secret". If the item actually has sugar, the sugar content in grams is on the label.
  • kimaklu
    kimaklu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with cutting out the sugar & processed carbs. My body does so much better without those things. The first week is hard, headaches not feeling well but I believe its withdrawal.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Sugars aren't bad and good they're just sugars. The nutrition facts label tells you the total sugars and there's no hiding from that.

Simplest approach is to not eat manufactured / processed goods where you aren't 100% clear what went in. Also use a bit of logic - where does the sugar come from ? In a tomato sauce for example there will be sugar from the tomato which is inevitable, there may also be added sugars.

Labelling rule changes may bring you "added sugars" in future, but they aren't here yet.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I agree cutting out ADDED sugars is a good start to breaking your habit! Then stick to naturally occurring sugars only for a few weeks then gradually bring back in your treats in a moderate way..
  • Helloidentitycrisis
    Helloidentitycrisis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing, relax and know you're doing great!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're trying to over complicate something that you've already managed to make work for you. If you keep looking for fixes to problems you don't have, you'll end up making a mess of what is working.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

You can't avoid sugar. And the sugar in fruit is identical to the sugar in candy. They even get processed the same way in your body. Nothing wrong with sugar or even added sugar per se. It's the context and amounts. The reason cutting down on added sugar may be smart, is that fruit has nutrients that slows down and counterbalance the impact of the sugar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Try not to complicate things too much. The way I approach thing is this: 1. concentrate on calories, 2. then make sure I get adequate protein (1g per lb of lean body mass), 3. then concentrate on the foods (whole sources: unsaturated fats, whole grains, lean proteins, fruits and veggies). After that, I just let the sugar fall out.
  • EatKleanGetLean
    EatKleanGetLean Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good getting your sugar intake so low. Sugar is so addictive and a hard thing to avoid. Search around about simple carbs. These are many pastas, breads, and snack foods like chips. These act almost like sugar to the body since they're already so refined and processed. Search google and read about complex carbs and whole grains. I promise you will find replacing certain food items beneficial to your diet and end goal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Good getting your sugar intake so low. Sugar is so addictive and a hard thing to avoid. Search around about simple carbs. These are many pastas, breads, and snack foods like chips. These act almost like sugar to the body since they're already so refined and processed. Search google and read about complex carbs and whole grains. I promise you will find replacing certain food items beneficial to your diet and end goal.

Pasta and bread are not simple carbohydrates. You might want to do some more research on what simple and complex carbohydrates actually are before offering advice to others.

Just because something isn't made with a whole grain doesn't mean it is a simple carbohydrate. That's a whole different distinction.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

It sounds like you've already cut sugar pretty significantly. I'd just stay the course and see how this works. You say you've found this easy so you may have already found your sweet spot.

You can always adjust later to cut more if you think it's necessary.