Military diet

Has anyone tried the military diet? It claims up to 10 pounds in 3 days which is a little hard to believe. I'm on a 1,200 calorie diet right now and was just wanting some reviews of this diet before trying it myself.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    It's a very silly, arbitrary food plan which needs to lie about an affiliation to the military to gain any credence.

Depending on the version, it can be as low as 500 cal a day, others are 1000-1200 and many people will lose a bunch of water weight starting on it because it's so low cal. Given that you're already on 1200, you'd wouldn't even get that initial whoosh.

To be honest, I believe that it was a joke plan started by someone as a prank and even they can't believe it still gets passed around.
  • haistenm95
    haistenm95 Posts: 3 Member
    It's a very silly, arbitrary food plan which needs to lie about an affiliation to the military to gain any credence.

Depending on the version, it can be as low as 500 cal a day, others are 1000-1200 and many people will lose a bunch of water weight starting on it because it's so low cal. Given that you're already on 1200, you'd wouldn't even get that initial whoosh.

To be honest, I believe that it was a joke plan started by someone as a prank and even they can't believe it still gets passed around.

Do you have any suggestions on other plans? I am uncertain what I would like to do from now on. Most meal plans require a good bit of cooking and it unfortunately doesn't fit my schedule between working full time and being in college. I still want to live a healthy lifestyle though and lose weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Weigh and measure and log your food on the 1200 calorie version of the plan. After three days, you will start to be more comfortable using your own food.
    Here is another plan you could try.http://www.discovergoodnutrition.com/2013/10/1200-calorie-diet-plan/
  • Karmc2k
    Karmc2k Posts: 98 Member
    Haha....I actually did the "Military Diet", I figured what harm would it do, so I tried it. I lost 3 pounds, but I think it was just water weight....it didn't really do much good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    It is mathematically impossible to lose 10 Lbs of fat in three days...in three days you're just going to drop water weight.

And being former military, it thoroughly annoys me that this diet puts itself out there in this way...this diet in no way resembles how one would eat in the military.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 205 Member
    haistenm95 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the military diet? It claims up to 10 pounds in 3 days which is a little hard to believe. I'm on a 1,200 calorie diet right now and was just wanting some reviews of this diet before trying it myself.

I'm going to try it for the entire month of May. I'm pretty sure that it won't do any harm.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I did the stupid military diet 3 years ago, lost 5 pounds, gained it back the next week. Not worth it.
  • monicaale38
    monicaale38 Posts: 23 Member
    I didn't lose any weight
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    So, I need to drop 30. Decided to kick off with the military diet. It's three days, low calorie, but I'm healthy and my body can handle it. I understand such things cannot be sustained, and such things are not nutritionally good for you, but I hadn't tried something like this before, so ....

I stuck to this diet like glue. I measured. I did not cheat. It wasn't particularly difficult. And, in the end, I lost 3.1 lbs.

So, for me, doing this diet got my head in the game and on-track. But, the unhealthiness aside, the Military Diet does NOT live up to it's claims, not even close.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Having been in the military for 23 years (I retired this last SEP), I can tell you this "military diet" isn't even close to what we put our Soldiers through - even at Basic Training - because it can't be sustained and is unrealistic. Bottom Line - whoever came up with this bright idea should be ashamed.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    The most ridic fad diet. And why its even called "the military diet" should be a warning in itself.
  • gatorsong
    gatorsong Posts: 7,000 Member
    I have a friend who did this, but had a little different mindset. She tried dieting based on a daily restriction and kept failing due to willpower. She tried this diet and was actually able to lose weight, because she didn't generally overeat. So three days on this and then 4 days on or slightly below maintenance so that her weekly expenditure was still in a deficit. This worked for her, but her attitude was I can do it for 3 days and then just eat normally, and since normal for her was around maintenance levels it let her drop the weight off.

I do agree that this is a fad diet and if you think you are going to miraculously lose weight you're wrong. It still takes work to keep yourself at a weekly deficit, though, which will allow you to lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    If I wanted to diet part of the week I'd do something more sensible, like one of the various forms of IF that do that (which I keep thinking about doing, in fact). Plus, the food choices for the military diet are unpleasant, it's not particularly healthy (in terms of meeting nutrition goals), and pointlessly restrictive.