Boosting My Metabolisom...

Options
Hello everyone!

I just had a question to ask everyone. Obviously for those like me, after gaining a lot of weight and trying to loose it, our metabolisms aren't quite what they were in our teen years. they've slowed down and it's a lot more work on our parts to loose the weight.

My fitness coach has put me on a 6-day phase of eating exactly what is on this menu for me, what brands, what foods, what time to eat them, etc. She said that it'll give my metabolism a big boost and it'll help me loose more weight quickly.

I was just wondering, has anyone else tried to do basically the same thing? Followed a diet program to give their metabolism a big push, and did you see a significant difference in the amount/speed of your weight loss?

Any feedback would be great! :) Thanks!

Replies

• msnewbootie
    msnewbootie Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    DEspite my need to lose weight, suprisingly my significant other is a pro bodybuilder. Oftentimes, he goes on a strict diet similar to what u describe. He says that is boosts the metabolism and gives your body a jump start! So go for it and good luck!!!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I haven't exactly, but when I change up my foods often and stick to doing some kind of light-intense exercise, then you metabolize your food quicker because your body isn't use to new things. I assume that eating junk food and the same kinds consistently {or even good food for that matter} stalls our weight-loss b/c our body knows what to do with the same food we eat day in and day it.hope this little explanation helps.
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think that if it is short term its ok, but after that you should probably stick with eating healthy... Good luck!!!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Would it be a major P.I.T.A. for you to post the list he gave you?? I really need to boost my motabolism!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I dont know about a special diet to boost metabolism but this is a good article from Runner's World. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304--7753-0,00.html

Personally I've tried green tea and I dont think that it does a thing for me.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    I dont know about a special diet to boost metabolism but this is a good article from Runner's World. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304--7753-0,00.html

Personally I've tried green tea and I dont think that it does a thing for me.

Just read this article and I want to say thank you so much for posting it on here!!! I really need a metaboism boost and I have been replaceing 3 of my walks with a strength building DVD but I think I will go back to my walks and save the strength building for when I have a healthy BMI
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Would it be a major P.I.T.A. for you to post the list he gave you?? I really need to boost my motabolism!

I don't know that I can copy and paste it or give it to you in that form, because it's part of Total Solutions Weight Loss system, and I'm sure there are some kind of protections against giving out the information like that because I paid for it and the training and etc etc etc.

But what you COULD do, is keep an eye on my food diary... starting yesterday was when i began it. you can look on there and see what I've been eating, because i'm following the plan :)
  • broxi1979
    broxi1979 Posts: 30
    Options
    The most effective way of boosting the metabolism as far as I am aware is the mantra of eating a little a lot.

Therefore your daily diet should consist of 6 small meals at regular intervals so as to not leave the body without food for any long periods of time. The set-out should be roughly as follows. (the parts in brackets will be my rota for today)

Breakfast: 08:00 (smoothie - strawberry, banana & apple juice)
    Mid Morning: 10:00 (diced celery [1 stk], apple [half], baby carrots [10nr])
    Lunch: 12:00 (homemade vegtable soup - veg stock cube, leek, root vegtables, carrots, garlic, etc)
    Mid Afternoon: 15:00 (1 pear)
    Evening Meal: 17:00 (2nr poached eggs on wholemeal toast - often I'll add smoked salmon to this dish)
    Supper: 21:00 (1nr slice of wholemeal toast & tea with semi-skim milk)

It is important in my view to shed the idea that you should have a hearty evening meal, there is no reason why this shouldn't be regarded as a small portion like all other meals.

I will also have a 90 min (ish) gym session tonight consisting of 60-70% cardio and the rest strength training.

I am aware that the above diet is fairly high in natural fructose sugars but it is also pretty low in carbs and high in protein, which is my main aim here. It's also very low in fats, which I am not too happy about. I believe that we shouldn't fear the fats in our food, rather we should concentrate on the carbs and sugar as taught by Tom Naughton & Robert Lustig, MD.

I will trial this diet for 5 weeks and measure it's effectiveness, I'm in week 3 at the moment and I have seen a noticable drop in body weight of 8-10 lbs so far.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options

I don't know that I can copy and paste it or give it to you in that form, because it's part of Total Solutions Weight Loss system, and I'm sure there are some kind of protections against giving out the information like that because I paid for it and the training and etc etc etc.

But what you COULD do, is keep an eye on my food diary... starting yesterday was when i began it. you can look on there and see what I've been eating, because i'm following the plan :)

awesome!, I'll do that!
  • msenn2692
    msenn2692 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My trainer recomends 5-6 meals a day consisting of protien and complex carb [he calls it a thermic meal] I add vegtables and fruits to fill it out. I range around 1500 calories a day. Drink 120 mL of water a day also. Don't eat until after i have exercised - otherwise you are just burning off the food you just ate. And don't have any carbs after 6 pm. This plan has helped me to loose weight.