Wake-up Call

Options
Good morning! My name is Shauna and I recently experienced an episode at work where I was taken by ambulance to the hospital. From that visit I found out that I am pre-diabetic. I have since hired a personal trainer (expensive but well worth it), modified my eating habits for the better, and began to exercise again. Part of my issue was that I broke and dislocated my ankle 10 months ago where I was laid up for several months. I just finished PT not too long ago, but I was afraid to exercise again. My trainer is helping me to overcome my emotional and physical obstacles. Over the last week and a half, I have lost about 5 pounds. I have started seeing an acupuncturist to help with my pre-diabetes and am getting a monthly massage. I know that I need to manage my stress and my health and I don't think I have felt this good in a very long time. I am using food as fuel, not am emotional crutch. I will be 50 in May and a first-time grandma in September. I am taking care of me and putting my needs first, which is quite hard since I tend to be a people pleaser. I look forward to the discussions on this board. Everybody have a fantastic day!

Replies

• Ladygwendolyn63
    Ladygwendolyn63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have had some major health issues. I'm not really one to speak of those problems. But I'm here to make a difference in my life and get my health back on track through weight management and healthy eating. When I was 50 I had a heart attack. It wasn't bc of clogged vessels but bc of cardio myopathy and have since had a pacemaker implanted and I also was diagnosed with t2 diabetes. So a bad heart and diabetes was my diagnosis 3 yrs ago and it's been my mission since to at least work on the diabetes, and lose weight. I'm about #50 over right now. I have an extremely busy life and have a life of fast food and restaurants. My journey started 3 yrs ago with not much success. Two months ago I started with Blue Apron (it's easier for me) and have already seen a weight drop. So with that program and combining this I think it's a win win situation!
  • CaliforniaGirl1966
    CaliforniaGirl1966 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, LG! Thank you for sharing your journey. I am pleased to report that as of this morning, I have lost 7 pounds. This week has brought medical assessments and added stresses. I think my job is just too stressful at times and I am concerned that I will not be able to work as a Special Educator for much longer. I work with kiddos who have emotional disabilities and mental health issues. And the required paperwork cannot be done during the typical school day. Therefore, I tend to work a lot of hours beyond just to keep up with the basic workload. Anyways, after two days off for testing, I went to work yesterday feeling quite well; however, as the day progressed, I could feel the stress coming up toward my neck with heart flutters. I am learning how to manage my self-care, but the demands of everyday life can sure be an obstacle at times. I purchase the majority of our groceries through Door-to-Door Organics. We do not go out to eat very often and fast food rarely sounds good. But I am learning how to manage my portions and to eat 6 small meals over the course of the day. Along with my intake of water, I am quite satisfied and am no longer craving simple carbs. I am heading to the gym. Have a great day!