Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Taking Measurements

Hi everyone,

I took my measurements last night after gaining quite a bit of weight and have gained so many inches back that I lost a couple of years ago :( I'm now back on track with my diet & exercise and was wondering how often should I take my measurements? I'm not really bothered about my weight, but I'd like to get rid of the inches I've gained!

Should I take them every two weeks? How often do you take your measurements?

Thanks

Replies

• ChloeJoanneSmith
    ChloeJoanneSmith Posts: 62 Member
    BUMP
  • Supr_Sldier
    Supr_Sldier Posts: 22 Member
    I say that sounds like a good plan, you want to spread out the times you do measure yourself, kinda like how you would take pics to see your progress. just have set dates each month and on those dates measure yourself that way you can cage how you are doing and what things you might wanted to improve in your work out routine to make better progress. My biggest recommendation is cardio, lots of cardio. Before you wake up and eat breakfast go for a quick 5 minute run, that will kick start your metabolism for the day. Hope this all helps, if you need anything else let me know, we can chat :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I take measurements once a month.
  • ChloeJoanneSmith
    edited March 2016
    Once a month would probably be better then :) I'll do that!
  • srhinton24
    srhinton24 Posts: 1 Member
    I did a clean eating program and the lady running it had us measure once a month, the difference you see in a month pushes you to go another month.
  • HavtaLose
    HavtaLose Posts: 59 Member
    I'm still new at this so i measure frequently, about every 2 weeks. After i have gotten comfortable with this lifestyle change, i let my clothes be the judge.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    most people would say once a fortnight, that way you should see inch loss all being well.

All the best :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    You could do 2 weeks, but once a month might be better. Sometimes it really takes a month for things to finally even out and drop, and measuring after 2 weeks can be not so motivating when you don't see change.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Also, after two weeks sometimes the change is so tiny there is more room for error as to whether you are measuring properly. If you wait a month and lose the whole inch you can be more sure you are measuring in the right spot.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    I measure the first of every other month. For me, it's odd months. When I was larger and the scale was dropping quickly, I was changing measurements quickly. Now that I'm closer to goal, changes just don't happen as quickly, either to the scale or to the tape measure.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    I just took my measurements in January for the first time, and I decided not to take them again for six months. I'm not sure why I chose that length of time.. maybe I'm hoping the longer I wait, the more chance I have of seeing a change. I might decide to take them again at three months instead of six, but I'll probably wait. It's something I'm interested to know, but it's not the primary way I track my progress.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I like to see big changes. I measured every 6 weeks the first year and now 3 months I think that more than once a month could be hard to see changes. The tape measure isn't perfect. It can slip, you might place it slightly differently, your bday changes, etc. Even @ 3 months I sometimes have one measurement that goes up for no explicable reasoning one that doesn't change even though my clothes are looser. These are done by my trainer who's very experienced & precise. Also use a self locking myotape type tape, not a sewing tape. You can google it if you don't know what I mean.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    I've measured each week for three weeks, but I just can't resist. I've lost an inch and a half from my belly in three weeks, so that is super motivating to me. I'm going to try and not measure for a month now though.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,600 Member
    I measure at the end of every month, and weigh myself once a week. I know that I would drive myself crazy if I measured more than once a month or weighed myself more than once a week. I just keep telling myself that I'm doing all right. I've lost 18 lb since January, and 7 inches off my body (3.5 from my waist alone).
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I like to see big changes. I measured every 6 weeks the first year and now 3 months I think that more than once a month could be hard to see changes. The tape measure isn't perfect. It can slip, you might place it slightly differently, your bday changes, etc. Even @ 3 months I sometimes have one measurement that goes up for no explicable reasoning one that doesn't change even though my clothes are looser. These are done by my trainer who's very experienced & precise. Also use a self locking myotape type tape, not a sewing tape. You can google it if you don't know what I mean.

I do once a month but with measurements like my stomach area that can be so variable with food and hydration it's hard to believe how real any of the measurements are. I suspect in 3-6 months it will be more clear. My other non-stomach measurements seem to be more repeatable though as long as I take them around the same time of day.
  • ChloeJoanneSmith
    Thanks everyone :) I'll stick to once a month I think for now!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Once a month is a good trend to work from.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I take mine on the 1st monday of each month.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    i take mine every 4 -6 weeks
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    I do my sporadically when I feel like it. The scale is steadily dropping. Clothes are fitting better or looser.