Postpartum Weight Loss

Options
Hello, everyone! I am 5'8" and before my pregnancy, I weighed 154 pounds. At the end of my pregnancy, I weighed between 195-200 pounds. At 5 weeks postpartum, I now weigh between 168 and 172 pounds. My goal is to go back down to 150 pounds.

My question is what were your pre and post pregnancy weights, how long did it take you to get to your goal weight, and how did you do it? Let me know :smiley:

Replies

• marissam08
    marissam08 Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'6" before pregnant I weighed 150 by the end I weighed 180. After giving birth weighted 165. My baby is already 8 months, I breastfeed him almost 7 months, I couldn't loose any weight while breastfeeding because I was very hungry all the time, plus I tought if i didn't eat enough baby wouldn't get enough nutrients/milk. Everyone is different, some say breastfeeding helps loosing weight which was not my case. Since I stop breastfeeding I lost a total of 11 pounds. Today's weight was 155 (so basically 10 pounds in 2 months) This was doing a calorie deficit and 1 hour of walking/jogging at least 3 times a week. Good luck:)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I'm 1.68 cm - was around 60k before baby, went up to 70 lots (can't remeber exactly how much but just last week I went to the doctor and in october 2011 I was 71kg - she was reading something from my gyno and I saw it. baby had been born in June). I am now 64kg BUT - went from size 14 to 6-8. So even though haven't technically gone back to my pre-baby weight, I'm actually thinner than I was pre-baby. I can get into micro shorts of mine that I haven't been able to wear since I was in my 20s and weighing 57/8 kg. They fit fine now.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    oh yeah - all this took a whole effing year to happen btw. 32% BF to current 18% BF. No starving. eating and lifting.
  • marissam08
    marissam08 Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    oh yeah - all this took a whole effing year to happen btw. 32% BF to current 18% BF. No starving. eating and lifting.

Yes. Seems like 1 year for me too to go back to the pre-baby weight.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 137.5 lbs before (current) baby. About 195 bf giving birth, baby was 9 lbs 4oz...so still pretty big after birth. Didn't look at the scale until about 2.5 mo pp--162. Tracked cals (~1820) and started exercising slowly (fourth big baby really did a number on my core/pelvic floor). Lost 13 lbs. stopped from Dec 1-Feb 28, stalled. Started again, now down to 146 at almost 7 mo pp. I'm fully breastfeeding, so can't cut calories too low or baby seems super hungry.

With all of my kiddos I lose the 35-60 lbs I put on between 9-12 mo pp with moderate deficits, exercise, and breastfeeding (usually bf till 14-18 mo).
  • brekober
    brekober Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also couldn't lose while breastfeeding. I dropped my pumping sessions down to 2 a day and finally started to lose a little weight. The saying it took 9 months to go on, it will take 9 months to get off has been pretty accurate for me. My son is 9 months old and I'm about 5 lbs away from my preprego weight.
    I gained almost 50 lbs when it was all said and done.
  • papple227
    papple227 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and I weighed 155 before I got pregnant and at the end of pregnancy I was up to 200. At 1 month pp I was at 165. I am now 10 months pp and I weigh 135. I contribute most of my weight loss to breast feeding and chasing after a couple of kids.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I was around 124-127 lbs pre preg, (5'2"). At about 7-8 months postpartum I was back down to 127 by walking daily. But, that weight didn't look the same. I had more fat and less muscle. We moved out of a walkable neighborhood and I got up to 137. In September 2014( 3yrs postpartum) I started lifting weights. I lost a few lbs. Then I made fat loss my goal in October 2015. I upped my protein, lifted heavy and stuck to my deficit. I'm now 116 lbs, smaller and leaner than I was pre pregnancy.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and started my last pregnancy (number 4) at 145 lbs, was at 195 when baby arrived. Lost 13 lbs before I left the hospital, was down 20 lbs (total) by the end of the first postpartum week. By my six week check up I was down another 10. Baby is seven months old and I'm currently 150, so only five lbs left to go. I exclusively bf for about five months, then she started solids. I recently started working out; I want to lose the last five and then work on building some muscle (I'm the same height and weight as I was my freshman year of high school, but my measurements are slightly bigger - I must have lost some muscle in the past 22 years, lol, want to get that back). I have been eating LCHF for about three years now (upped the carbs a bit during the pregnancy) and I did find that made the baby weight go away faster this time (it took 12-18 months with my previous children, even though my total gain was the same each time).
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'9"
    With baby # 1:
    Prepregnancy wt: 126-127 lbs
    Gained 40 lbs
    Was back to 127-128 lbs around the 9-10 month mark but then put on 2 lbs over the next 3 years.
    I ran or walked daily (usually running 3-4 x per week and hit the free weights at the gym 2 x a week), later I did more Insanity and some HIIT workouts rather than running. I didn't really watch my calorie count or diet to be honest, I just tried to eat healthy.

With baby #2:
    Pre pregnancy wt: 130 lbs
    Gained 38 lbs
    I'm still trying to lose the last few pounds, I'm currently 137 lbs at 18 months post partum. I'm working out 3-4 x week (doing a mix of HIIT, strength training, Insanity, walking and yoga). Again I haven't been paying much attention to diet, but decided I must obviously need to if I want to lose the last bit of weight so now I'm calorie counting.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'7".. baby #1 gained 45 lbs (130 - 175) lost it in about 4 months but had to work on body composition so started lifting weights, took about a year or so to get to goal.

Baby #2 gained 35 lbs (130-165) had my baby 6 wks ago, have about 8lbs left to lose but not dieting yet (want to make sure breastfeeding established first). I was very active during my 2nd pregnancy and it made a huge difference
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I was 137 before I got pregnant which was great since I'm 5'7", and I gained 25 lbs, making me in the overweight range. Now I am around 154 or so and trying to get back to my pre pregnancy weight. My son is almost 17 months old so there really is no excuse.
  • CelesseBoo
    CelesseBoo Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Baby #1-- 182lbs before. 182lbs at 4 weeks post partum.
    Baby #2-- 182lbs before. 175lbs at 4 weeks post partum. (unwell). 182lbs 6 months pp. 189lbs 18 months pp.
    Baby #3-- 189lbs before. 189lbs at 4 weeks post partum. 189lbs 6 months pp. 202lbs 18 months pp.

Currently 184lbs and 21 months pp from baby #3. I tend to gain after 6 months pp as they begin eating solids so the amount they nurse reduces but my appetite remains the same.

ETA. 5'7"

And I lost it all within 4 weeks because either me or baby or both was unwell with long hospital stays or readmissions. Plus I already had plenty of reserves before pregnancy so I only gained a couple of stone each time.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just had my 4th boy in November. I'm 5'4" & Pre-pregnancy weight was already too high at 175-ish. Weighed around 230something when I went in to have him. Was down to 210 at christmastime, and down to 191.8 now. Looking to get down to 135-ish.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Baby #1 - before baby 140ish day of delivery 195ish 6 weeks PP 180ish
    5 years later
    Baby #2 - before baby 186 day of delivery 201 6 weeks PP 177
    he is 17 months old now and I weigh 183.6 i'm 5 foot nothing and I would like to get down to 125ish

Oct 2015 I weighed 197.6 meaning I gained 20lbs in the 11 Months I was back at work from maternity leave that scared me that I was up to delivery weight of both my children I rejoined planet fitness and started cleaning up my eating as of March 8th I have lost 14lbs I know I have a long way to go but I just take it one day at a time.

Good Luck to everyone on your own individual journey's
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My 1st pregnancy (34 weeks / preeclampsia/2011):
    - 195 lbs to 200lbs pre pregnancy
    - 260lbs within the first 6 weeks after
    My first attempt at weight loss was unsuccessful. I lost weight (70 lbs) but did it in a way that was unsustainable for me and gained about 40 lbs back. I reattempted the next year with MFP and did much better.
    My second pregnancy (41 weeks/ healthy/2013-2014):
    - 172 lbs pre pregnancy
    - 212 lbs is what I weighed at my 41 wk appointment (2 days before csection)
    - 190 to 195 lbs at my six week appointment
    Went back to using MFP with my Fitbit and was back to prepregnancy 6/7 months after my second was born. By the time he was 1 I was down to 137.5 lbs. Now I'm in the low 120's.

• HillaryAnnMaroney
    HillaryAnnMaroney Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for replying! It's interesting to read everyone's journey! My only problem is I cannot breastfeed because I have Raynaud's of the nipples (which is an autoimmune problem that I can't really treat.) But it gives me more wiggle room with my dieting. Hopefully, it works out for me!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I just had my 4th boy in November. I'm 5'4"...:

I just had my fourth boy too! I'm also 5'4" looking to get to 135...good luck to you!

Friends ask me how I get so many steps, even on non workout days...my answer: "Four boys, 6 and under"