Calling all mothers!

Options
So I noticed there are A LOT of mother's on here and I fugured I couldn't be the only one to suffer from the aliment of the dreaded stretchmarks, no?

Mine are flaming awful, my stomach ones are so deep having gone from an 8/10 to a 16/18 and they are still reddish, although verging on a pinker colour now. I have lighter ones on my arms, boobs, lower back, thighs and behind my knees. They are more a light purple now and not as noticeable as my stomach, but the thigh and boob ones are still noticeable.

EVERY DAY I use either bio oil or boots mum's sanctuary oil, along with a cream called derma mum and a moisturiser. I know that stretchies are for life and they will always be there, just faded, hopefully and there is no way to 'get rid' of them so to speak.

However, only being 18 they really have plummeted my spirits. I'm going on holiday for a week and I would wear a bikini if I had no stretchies, despite my curves. But my stomach just looks awful and the thought of showing it off makes me feel sick. So at 18 I've decided that no matter how slim and toned I get my bikini days are over as a result and I may as well go into ethel austin and buy myself a big 'granny' swimming costume (well not so drastic, but a swimming costume none the less, which at 18 is quite upsetting).

Recently I have read that things like laser removal, derma rollers and indoor tanning works wonders in reducing the appearance of them. But before I commit to any of those I would like to hear if anyone has any experience with either of those mentioned, or something entirely different that also worked.

Thanks ladies!

Replies

• Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    Well first off we you can tell I'm a guy (even thou my boobs are bigger then a lot if ladies lol) but I'm curious too, I have a lot of stretch marks
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    how long since you had your baby?
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    take a peek at my pictures i too suffer from the dreaded belly stretch marks and i'm 19. it hides my belly stretch marks well and if you bought a nice swim skirt to cover the top of your thighs it would look nice :smile:
  • rochelleclark
    rochelleclark Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with any of those, and honestly I will never try to get rid of my stretch marks. I know that a lot of people find them unattractive, but I really don't think they're that bad. I don't really see what there is to be embarrassed about because all that they mean is that you've had a baby, and there's no shame in that - young or old. Stretch marks may not be pretty to look at, but they remind me of when I was pregnant with my son, and that puts a smile on my face. I hope some day the same will be true for you, too, and you won't feel like you need to get rid of/diminish them. :)
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You can get some gorgeous one piece bathers now ,loads of 50s type ones with little skirts on them ,your stretch marks will fade in time ,I know thats not much help to you really and I know how you feel as I have loads as well ,got mine after my first baby as well .
  • samdot
    samdot Posts: 12
    Options
    i have had strech marks ever since i was a teenager and at the time i was ashamed and embrassed by them since my teendays i have had three chilldren and i now "wear" them with pride they are the result of my 3 beuitful chilldren all women who have babbies have strechmarks!!! its just us normal people dont have an airbush to get rid of them out of photos!!! dont worry tho they do calm down i have never used anything on my belly and 2 years on from the birth of my last child they are turning into sliverish lines not as noticeable u can ony see them from upclose! my best friend who is a size 6(and has been since she was 13 and she has no kids) also has strech marks and lots of people!!! no one will think anything of them i doubt it will even rgister in there minds ur 18!!!! ur bikini days r not over lol
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I am 21 and have never been pregnant, and I too have some stretch marks, which I have had since I was 15...even though my weight was always within 100-110 pounds. If the oils you arent using arent working, I would recommend trying castor oil. My mom used to use it when I got bad cuts/blisters, and it never scarred. In fact, I even had a scar from burning myself, but my mom had me use castor oil on it for around one month, and it disappeared!

I hope this helps. :)

ps: I heard stretch marks arent permanent until they have turned white...so...you still have time to at least get rid of a good majority if you find something that really works for you. :)
  • krlaws2
    krlaws2 Posts: 47
    Options
    I have stretchmarks and I will wear a bikini once I reach my goal. I don't care if other people think they are gross. I earned them! LOL! The hard way. I have c-section scar from my daughter and stretchmarks from my son and there's nothing in the world that I'm more proud of than being a mom and having those two. You should check out that website Shape of a Mother for some inspiration. http://theshapeofamother.com/
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    most women have them here and there. Youll find they fade over time, and no oil or cream is going to make much difference unfortunately. Time is the only thing that helps.
    I have most of mine on my hips and bum and breasts, but theyre silvery and i dont really notice them too much anymore.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Genetics unfortunately is the covert but some people from my baby forum recommended this cream.

I have not tried it nor do I have any information regarding it from personal use but some women said it worked wonderfully for them!

http://www.trilastin.com/
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Maillot swimsuit's! I honestly know where you're coming from. I too have stretch marks and although they're faded I know i'll never wear a bikini. No matter how toned I get. Maillots are super cute though and cover the stretch marks. It's nice to think that theyre from our kids and we love them for that...but if it makes you uncomfortable just thinking of showing them find a different suit.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Im pretty much under the impression now that creams or oils wont do much for them. Ive been told it all pretty much boils down to genetics. They will fade over time. I use to have the white ones on my thighs, and i no longer have them. Im sure ill have some reappear on my stomach though as i continue to lose the weight. Just give it time and they should fade away.