Exercise with back pain?

Options
I have a sore back, which caused me to not be able to do my aerobics yesterday but it's still hurting today. Should I just walk twice as much since it doesn't bother my back?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If your back is hurting, you should do exercises that don't aggravate it until your back is feeling better. Walking, stretching, swimming would all be great choices.
  • nskerr
    nskerr Posts: 91
    Options
    I have 2 herniated discs. L4-L5. Luckily (knock on wood) I have been pain free for just under a year. I think a lot of it is mental. When I told myself I need to lose weight and was going to do something about it the pain seemed to lessen. Anyway I ride a recumbant (sp?) bike. Gives back support. I recently watched a program on PBS where a back doctor I believe from Cornell Medical Center said he believes walking is the best exercise for people with bad backs but hears often that walking aggravates the back. He said at the end of the day each patient is different. He has seen a lot of success with stationary bikes and swimming. Find something you like that will not cause pain.
  • taurus39
    taurus39 Posts: 26
    Options
    I wish you the best. I am nursing a pinched nerve in my back. I've been to the chiropractor and now it's in the healing process. But I am still bound determined to exercise. I just do what I can.Walking is a good exercise. So if I were you I'd just walk more.(myself I get bored walking, I live in the country. Good luck to ya. I know back pain is horrible!
  • mjemerson
    mjemerson Posts: 141
    Options
    I have disc degeneration "arthritis" as well as bulging discs and I have daily pain. I work out no matter what BUT I would consult your doctor first. I have learned to live with the pain, I do NOT recommend this. There might be some exercises, physical therapy, that might help to strengthen your back. When it comes to your back don't mess around!! Take it easy and take care of yourself!
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. I feel like I shouldn't be complaining because I know others have it much worst, but it's definitely a nuisance when I can't bend over, bend my neck or lift anything. I went on a much longer walk this morning instead. If my back is still hurting tomorrow, I will be sure to visit the doctor.