Exhausted after workout

Options
Hi! Happy Friday!

Can I get some opinions on my exhausted state post workout. Specifically after cardio. It lasts for hours, it's not just that my body is tired, my mind is mush as well. It has been suggested to me to carb load. When I google it I get alot of conflicting advice so now I'm turning here for more info.

This tired feeling has got to go! Thanks

Replies

• drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would be curious what your nutrition is like.

I am definitely foggier after cardio when I am in a calorie defecit. A post workout meal including carbs and protein seems to help, but does not eliminate entirely. For me it just seems like something to accept for getting lean.

A more mild defecit, decreasing intensity or duration, or slowing down progress in your cardio (distance or pace) can help alleviate it.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long or hard your cardio work is, but carbs help me.

Recently started back to taking spinning classes. I don't want a lot on my stomach, but do want some energy to tap. Tried my usual string cheese...eh. Tried moving my bigger protein snack (cottage cheese) to before spinning. Still, eh.

3 dates seems to help a lot, quick sugar hit but doesn't increase my appetite or seem to give me a crummy drop in blood sugar. Not a lot of calories either.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    As for what I eat my diary is open. I work out in the AM hours and it's tough to eat when i'm not yet hungry but I try to at least eat a banana. My cardio is pretty much Zumba and I am working my *kitten* off for 60 minutes.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I think you may have just closed your diary while I was looking. Your calories are too low most days. I'm seeing like...30 grams of protein once in awhile? You need to eat back your exercise calories as well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I had a quick peek at your diary and I suspect there are 2 things going one.

One may just be a case of you're not accustomed to working out that much, when I first started running I'd be wiped out for the day after a 10km Sunday run, now that's an easy mid-week one.

Another is that you're not eating enough, there was one day in the last week where you were below 1,000 net cal (I didn't really look at your macros) and a couple of other where your were barely hitting 1,200 which is the minimum recommendation. Exercise takes fuel.
  • annleg83
    annleg83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing - I work out in the morning and I'm not really a breakfast person. What works for me is that I make a smoothie (banana, berries, a couple handfuls of spinach, water, and maybe a date or honey) and drink half on my way to the gym and then have the rest when I'm done working out.

Maybe try something like that. You can make it the night before and keep it in the fridge so it's nice and cold - and make sure you're getting enough hydration too. Zumba will make you sweat :)
  • Lennonluv2
    Options
    I double checked, my diary is open :) I don't know my accurate calorie burn so most days I eat back only some, only if i'm hungry. I figure since I've lost as much weight as I have (92 pounds) that my cals in/cals out must be okay. ! I just want to feel better after exercise! Tks
  • Lennonluv2
    Options
    I had a quick peek at your diary and I suspect there are 2 things going one.

One may just be a case of you're not accustomed to working out that much, when I first started running I'd be wiped out for the day after a 10km Sunday run, now that's an easy mid-week one.

Another is that you're not eating enough, there was one day in the last week where you were below 1,000 net cal (I didn't really look at your macros) and a couple of other where your were barely hitting 1,200 which is the minimum recommendation. Exercise takes fuel.

I will take a look back in the diary, could be that i didn't finish logging. I'm not new to working out though so I'm not sure if that's the issue but tks! How does one eat if their not hungry? i just can't force it.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Lennonluv2 wrote: »
    I double checked, my diary is open :) I don't know my accurate calorie burn so most days I eat back only some, only if i'm hungry. I figure since I've lost as much weight as I have (92 pounds) that my cals in/cals out must be okay. ! I just want to feel better after exercise! Tks

It may be OK for weight loss it may not be for fitness. It may sound counter-intuitive but it's not unusual for people training for a marathon to gain weight in the later stages of their training - because exercise needs fuel.

I'm not suggesting a huge increase. Unless you have a lot of weight left to lose a large deficit and lots of exercise don't make for happy bedfellows.

• Lennonluv2
    Options
    annleg83 wrote: »
    I had the same thing - I work out in the morning and I'm not really a breakfast person. What works for me is that I make a smoothie (banana, berries, a couple handfuls of spinach, water, and maybe a date or honey) and drink half on my way to the gym and then have the rest when I'm done working out.

Maybe try something like that. You can make it the night before and keep it in the fridge so it's nice and cold - and make sure you're getting enough hydration too. Zumba will make you sweat :)

Tks! i have done the smoothie in the car before and I love use banana and spinach sometimes. Zumba is my thing, I'm planning on getting certified to teach it so I'd like to figure this out. I went to the DR months ago and I'm healthy in that respect. And I drink lots of water too, TKS
  • Lennonluv2
    Options

It may be OK for weight loss it may not be for fitness. It may sound counter-intuitive but it's not unusual for people training for a marathon to gain weight in the later stages of their training - because exercise needs fuel.

I'm not suggesting a huge increase. Unless you have a lot of weight left to lose a large deficit and lots of exercise don't make for happy bedfellows.

Gotcha and tks! So let me now ask again. How does one eat if their not hungry? I have about 30 more pounds till goal btw.
  • Lennonluv2
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I think you may have just closed your diary while I was looking. Your calories are too low most days. I'm seeing like...30 grams of protein once in awhile? You need to eat back your exercise calories as well.

tks! Todays diary is low on protein because it's not complete as of yet! :)

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I do early morning workouts without eating. Fasted training. The key for me is to eat a good supper the night before. If I just have, say, popcorn or a couple of triscuits and cheese because I'm not really hungry, or think I ate too much already, then I will not get a good workout, it doesn't feel good, and I'll stay tired after.

How early are you working out? If it's really too early to get up earlier and eat (I run at 5:30 or yoga at 6:00, no way am I going to get up even earlier to have time to eat and let it 'settle') Try eating more of your calories at suppertime, and drink enough water that you really have to pee when you wake up!

And yes, in the end, good performance and losing weight can be competing goals, you need to eat enough to have the energy to really feel good while exercising, the exercise will build fitness and muscle and your body will get better if you aren't trying to aggressively limit calories.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Zumba can make you really sweat. Are you making sure to get enough hydration? Are your electrolytes in balance? Either of those can make you feel lethargic.
  • Lennonluv2
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    Zumba can make you really sweat. Are you making sure to get enough hydration? Are your electrolytes in balance? Either of those can make you feel lethargic.

I have on occasion mixed my water with G2. I am literally dripping sweat on the gym floor.
    robininfl wrote: »
    I do early morning workouts without eating. Fasted training. The key for me is to eat a good supper the night before. If I just have, say, popcorn or a couple of triscuits and cheese because I'm not really hungry, or think I ate too much already, then I will not get a good workout, it doesn't feel good, and I'll stay tired after.

How early are you working out? If it's really too early to get up earlier and eat (I run at 5:30 or yoga at 6:00, no way am I going to get up even earlier to have time to eat and let it 'settle') Try eating more of your calories at suppertime, and drink enough water that you really have to pee when you wake up!

And yes, in the end, good performance and losing weight can be competing goals, you need to eat enough to have the energy to really feel good while exercising, the exercise will build fitness and muscle and your body will get better if you aren't trying to aggressively limit calories.

I usually work out between 8am and 10am. I'm up at 6 because my cat says so lol and my appetite kicks in after the gym usually. Right now i'm drinking a spinach, banana, almond milk smoothie and I added honey. I'm just feeling hungry now. No Zumba today but am strength training later.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

Gotcha and tks! So let me now ask again. How does one eat if their not hungry? I have about 30 more pounds till goal btw.

There are a few little tricks you can try to add some calories without adding a whole lot of food eg: I put a tbsp of peanut butter in my oatmeal at breakfast, adds calories and (probably equally important) fat & protein without feeling like I've really eaten any more food.

At snack time I'll usually opt for a handful of almonds, calorie dense food but you don't need to eat a lot.

Takes a little trial and error and, of course, revolves around your own food preferences.

That's pretty awesome that you've already dropped over 90 lbs!
  • Lennonluv2
    Options

There are a few little tricks you can try to add some calories without adding a whole lot of food eg: I put a tbsp of peanut butter in my oatmeal at breakfast, adds calories and (probably equally important) fat & protein without feeling like I've really eaten any more food.

At snack time I'll usually opt for a handful of almonds, calorie dense food but you don't need to eat a lot.

Takes a little trial and error and, of course, revolves around your own food preferences.

That's pretty awesome that you've already dropped over 90 lbs!

Thanks and thanks for the advice!!

• ashleyrichey616
    ashleyrichey616 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi! Happy Friday!

Can I get some opinions on my exhausted state post workout. Specifically after cardio. It lasts for hours, it's not just that my body is tired, my mind is mush as well. It has been suggested to me to carb load. When I google it I get alot of conflicting advice so now I'm turning here for more info.

This tired feeling has got to go! Thanks

I'm right there with you as far as 'conflicting advice,' but my husband has always been fit and active and has been a very avid runner for the past several years, so when I start to get confused or overwhelmed, he's usually where the buck stops for me. While every person is different (especially he and I - we have COMPLETELY different body types), he always gives me advice that at least makes for a good starting point. Anyway, one of the key things he harps on is that a) you have to have fuel to work out and b) the brain is one of the biggest energy suckers when you start putting in longer, harder work-outs (I think it kicks in at about 30-40 minutes). With that being said, if you're not properly fueled to begin with, it definitely makes sense that you're groggy afterward. I've seen several comments already about what/how to eat when you're not actually hungry, and I can definitely agree that nuts and nut butters are great snacks for me (especially post-workout), but I also think you should make sure you're getting the carbs in as well, since that's where your body is going to pull energy from first, and clearly you don't have an issue with having too many. Slow-digesting carbs are ideal for several hours before the workout (like dinner before, if you're a morning exerciser) but the stuff that is normally considered 'bad,' your quick-burning, 'white' carbs, are actually really good about 30-60 minutes before a work-out because they give you the instant boost you need and keep your body from running on empty. That bit of sugar (or carbs that will very quickly become sugar) might be just the kick your body needs to keep from sucking fumes by the end of your workout. I'm training for a half-marathon (next weekend - I just did my 12-mile run!) and while I used to not eat any less than like, two hours before a work out for fear of being sick, I now HAVE to have something closer to start time to get me through those long runs. A pb/banana sandwich on wheat has turned out to be my perfect pre-run snack, because it has the sugar (banana) to get me started, slower digesting carbs (wheat toast) to keep me going once the banana has burned off, fats and proteins (pb) to keep me actually feeling full, and potassium (there's that banana again) to help prevent muscle soreness. Of course, that came with a good bit of trial and error.

As far as not eating when you're not hungry, maybe you just need to adjust your meal schedule so that you WILL be hungry. I now eat a 300ish-calorie 'meal' (although the ones between traditional meal times are often more like snacks) every 3-4 hours, meaning I eat five times a day, bringing me in at about 1500 calories for a typical day, which after 'paying back' my work-out calories keeps me right at my target of 1200. If I don't work out, I still keep meal times the same, I just lower the number of calories at each one. With that, I'm eating very often, but sometimes that 300 calories comes in a relatively small package, so I'm never full. Satisfied, yes, actually full, no.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    This week I've been gradually increasing the intensity of my cardio work while also trying to get my carb load below 100 g and maintain a calorie range between 1200-1300. Thursday was the first day I successfully kept my carb load below 100, and Friday morning before breakfast my cardio work load, though identical to Thursday, was more difficult to complete. I'm not ready to assign blame to low carbs, low cals, or Friday, but I'll be watching to see how Monday goes with the same cardio work load as today.
  • Lennonluv2
    Options
    It took me most of my adult life to learn to eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full so to eat just to eat is a thing for me, but I can't do what I've been doing any more. The pB banana on wheat is something I just ate the other day but after my workout, after my lunch, and after trying to nap (to no avail)and getting up frustrated and thinking I should eat to wake the heck up.

thanks ashleyrichey616 and everyone else for the good advice.

Next Zumba killer cardio session is tomorrow at 8am. I need to get out to the store and get some essentials!