Weight loss at 36

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy - I did this when I was fat, I did it when I was losing, I do it when I'm gaining, I do it when I'm maintaining.

Working out - ditto above.

What I didn't do when I "couldn't" lose weight was sustain a calorie deficit over an extended period of time.

It's not harder because you are four years older and at 36 you are just a baby!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am 37, and I just got to 5 pounds below my lowest adult weight. I buy the groceries, I cook the food, I plan my days, I found it much easier than when I thought about losing weight 10 years ago. I think it is just about where you are in your life more than your age. 10 years ago my kids were little and I my mind was in a different place. Now I can focus a bit more on me.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I am 37, and I just got to 5 pounds below my lowest adult weight. I buy the groceries, I cook the food, I plan my days, I found it much easier than when I thought about losing weight 10 years ago. I think it is just about where you are in your life more than your age. 10 years ago my kids were little and I my mind was in a different place. Now I can focus a bit more on me.

exactly..

Just because it feels harder now, doesn't mean it is actually harder. Routine and what you can do with your time now may be different.
    I still have young kids in my late 30's.. extra time is being with them. I also want to eat same meals as they do, so I have to really focus on my meals for the rest of the day. I try and calculate everything the day before.

It can FEEL like age is the culprit.. for struggling. especially when you think you are doing everything exactly the same.

Thing is, you are not.. there are differences and those differences are what makes it harder...

Still doesn't negate the "feels".. oh those feelz lol

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm 47, and the hormones have closed up shop. As a result, I have had to lower my daily calories -- the metabolism is undoubtedly not what it used to be (along with a bunch of other things :/ )

You, however, are only 36, so it's unlikely that you have an older-lady-type metabolism.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'll be 34 this year and I have lost 11kg since December. Weight loss is about CI < CO
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I struggle as well. I feel like I have to fight really hard for every pound. But that also has empowered me a lot, so it has turned out to be a positive thing. I started blogging about my journey and it has really kept me on track.
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I believe age can play a bigger part than what people think. When I lost weight last time (2013) at 37 I loved exercising. Now at 40, I only exercise because I know I should. I can't even finish a Zumba class or 30DS without feeling like I'm dying. Although weight can still be lost (I've lost almost 20 lbs in 2 months), I know that I am less active due to getting older . That means i have to work much harder for the same results. But on a good note, my mindset is much better. I am definitely more focused. I make better choices and am trying to make every thing count-from food to exercise-because im too tired to do aNY more than necessary.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight in January 2014, at age 36. The absolutely only difference between losing weight then and losing weight 10 years earlier was that I had more demands on my time (I'm now a mom and have more work responsibilities.) Other than that and being more dedicated to keeping the weight off, no difference. Here's my success thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10039727/52-pounds-in-52-weeks/p1
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm soon to be 39 and think that as we get older we get much less active. I have pretty much been the same weight all my life aside for a few years when I began my career, and I put on a little weight. As a software developer, I sit at a desk all day. Then I found I was drinking alcohol to help deal with the stress of being an adult. Once I increased my activity level and stopped drinking alcohol, the weight came right off and now I'm back to where I have been. I used to walk everywhere when I was younger, and try to do the same now. On a lazy day I will get between 10,000 and 15,000 steps, but try to stay over 15,000.

Alternatively, my Mom who is in her 70's didn't like that she gained weight and changed her diet back to how it was when she was younger. She also dramatically increased her activity (i.e. Gym every other day, daily walks) and she has since lost 25 pounds in 3 months. It makes me think as longer as someone is healthy and physically capable, weightloss shouldn't be more difficult as we age.

I recommend you consider how your lifestyle has changed as you've aged, and see what adjustments you can make now to compensate (i.e. Increase activity or fewer calories if you can't increase activity). Good luck!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    36!! sorry but I have to laugh. I'm nearly 70 and started with MFP last September. I am now in week 30 of my weightloss journey and during that time I have lost 36lbs and now only have another 10lbs to goal. Stop using age as an excuse.

Kudos on your weightloss Suziecue! My Mom is in her 70's and has been losing weight steadily since she decided she wanted to do so and has been mindful about food and exercise. I remember my grandmother did the same thing in her 80's, woke up one day and decided she didn't like being heavy and lost all the weight. She stayed slender into her late 90's. I totally agree, age isn't preventing anyone from losing weight.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    I just turned 43. I've lost 70 lbs since this past July. Age hasn't been a factor for me.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 38 and have yo yo dieted and have a thyroid condition. I've lost 34 lbs since August 30th, 2015. I went from a size 14 to a size 8. I'm also only 5'4 so I need to pay attention to my Fitbit calories burned and not eat over my TDEE. As long as you weigh most of what you eat on a food scale to insure your calories in is correct there is no reason the weight won't come off. It just takes time.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly 36 and have now lost about 35 lbs in the last 4 months. It's been incredibly easy, tbh. I don't believe there is any effect of age, it's all just physics, so move more and eat less and you will lose.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Skyoctober wrote: »
    4 years ago I started on a journey to lose weight, it came really easy. I was eating healthy and working out. I was losing 2 pounds a week or more, very consistently. In one year I lost 50 pounds. Now 4 years later (gaining 30 pounds back) I have decided to make changes once again. I am eating healthy and working out although something has changed. It is harder to lose weight. I feel like I am doing the same things I had done before but with no results. Is it because I am getting older? Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do differently?

I'm 39 and lost 110lbs last year. I logged pretty accurately, ate back about 1/3 of my exercise calories, but otherwise stuck to MFP's recommendations and I lost weight until I got to the top end of the healthy BMI. I would make sure you are weighing your food, selecting accurate entries, and are staying within your calorie guidelines.
    Edit-
    Forgot to add that weightloss happens in the kitchen, and exercise is for good health. You can't depend on exercise to get you into your deficit because exercise calorie burns are fairly inaccurate.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    diwijo13 wrote: »
    I believe age can play a bigger part than what people think. When I lost weight last time (2013) at 37 I loved exercising. Now at 40, I only exercise because I know I should. I can't even finish a Zumba class or 30DS without feeling like I'm dying. Although weight can still be lost (I've lost almost 20 lbs in 2 months), I know that I am less active due to getting older . That means i have to work much harder for the same results. But on a good note, my mindset is much better. I am definitely more focused. I make better choices and am trying to make every thing count-from food to exercise-because im too tired to do aNY more than necessary.

It's not your age that's the culprit, @diwijo13 ; it's your activity and fitness level. Were you skinnier at 37 than you are now? If yes, that may be why it was easier to finish a Zumba or 30DS class.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    36!! sorry but I have to laugh. I'm nearly 70 and started with MFP last September. I am now in week 30 of my weightloss journey and during that time I have lost 36lbs and now only have another 10lbs to goal. Stop using age as an excuse.

Kudos on your weightloss Suziecue! My Mom is in her 70's and has been losing weight steadily since she decided she wanted to do so and has been mindful about food and exercise. I remember my grandmother did the same thing in her 80's, woke up one day and decided she didn't like being heavy and lost all the weight. She stayed slender into her late 90's. I totally agree, age isn't preventing anyone from losing weight.

• veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just turned 60 march 2 and I have lost 37 pounds since oct. My husband is 62 and has lost 40 pounds since oct too. he has been ble to cut down his insulin and blood pressure meds too. H is in a 2x t-shirt don from 3x. I was wearing large pant but need to get some small sized ones. I am not saying it was easy and I wouldn't want to do it again but I'm glad I did it. I do kinda wish I had done it when I was in my 30"s or more 40's.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and I've lost 134 lb in the last 21 months. It's not easy, but it can be done. I'm sure at 36 you definitely can do it!