Can I split my treadmill workout up?

Options
So I didn't have time to get to the gym, I was literally going only once a week so I bought a treadmill for at home. I'm aiming for anything between 30-60minutes a day. As I'm quite unfit would I be able to split the time up... Instead of doing 30-60minutes straight. If I split it up say 20minutes in the morning and 20minutes in the evening would I still benefit from the same results as a straight 40minute workout? I hope I'm making sense. Thanks.

Replies

• Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Any time you can do is better than none. The longer you are within the recommended heart rate zone the better.
  • windee52
    windee52 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you can do 20 minutes of interval training (one minute walking, one minute full out sprinting and repeat) thats actually more effective than if you were to just jog at a steady pace for an hour. I would only do that once a day.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    something is better than nothing.

as your fitness level increases, I would work on longer durations, as you will receive more benefit from it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    of course, I split up my workouts alot and do them as and when :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    windee52 wrote: »
    If you can do 20 minutes of interval training (one minute walking, one minute full out sprinting and repeat) thats actually more effective than if you were to just jog at a steady pace for an hour. I would only do that once a day.

Baloney.....effective in what way?

OP breaking up your workouts is fine. 2 x 20 min burns the same calories as 1 x 40 min (assuming all other things were equal). The longer workouts are more effective at building endurance. Do what fits your schedule.
  • MIKEFUCKINGTETI
    MIKEFUCKINGTETI Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're training to get faster, your (long) intervals should be at least 40min long, but if you're just looking to lose weight, it's completely fine to split it up however you want, just remember you have to warm up properly before each workout.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine. I started off on the treadmill walking at 3.0 (20 min/mile) for 30mins then 60mins. Worked on my endurance for awhile. I added 2lb hand weights to workout upper body and it also engaged my core to stabilize on treadmill.
    60lbs later... I can walk at 4.5 (13.5min/miles) and jog 10-12 min/miles for 3-6 miles.
    So JUST START!!! Listen to your body and push it up a notch when u think you can.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Just start. Start with something comfortable. When you get bored with that, increase the speed.
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

OP breaking up your workouts is fine. 2 x 20 min burns the same calories as 1 x 40 min (assuming all other things were equal). The longer workouts are more effective at building endurance. Do what fits your schedule.

@BrianSharpe are we going to have to fight again about the effectiveness of interval training vs endurance training? Bahaha

OP- splitting up your work is absolutely okay from a calorie burn and cardiovascular health benefit perspective
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

@BrianSharpe are we going to have to fight again about the effectiveness of interval training vs endurance training? Bahaha

OP- splitting up your work is absolutely okay from a calorie burn and cardiovascular health benefit perspective

So you go straight to poisoning the well when you're challenged?

Not particularly helpful to the originator...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I didn't have time to get to the gym, I was literally going only once a week so I bought a treadmill for at home. I'm aiming for anything between 30-60minutes a day. As I'm quite unfit would I be able to split the time up... Instead of doing 30-60minutes straight. If I split it up say 20minutes in the morning and 20minutes in the evening would I still benefit from the same results as a straight 40minute workout? I hope I'm making sense. Thanks.

Depends what you're hoping to gain from your sessions.

In terms of calorie expenditure it doesn't matter, but you get different physiological effects from different approaches. You will get different benefit from trying to do longer sessions on a regular basis.

Fwiw I would not support the walk/ sprint approach suggested above until you can comfortably run for an hour. You just risk injuring yourself for little real benefit.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Don't worry, it's an ongoing (friendly) debate between us. :D

OP don't misconstrue my comments, HIIT has a place in any fitness program and the workout windee52 suggested may help you meet your fitness goals I was taking exception to the current cult-like promotion of HIIT as the only/best path to fitness when it's clearly not a one-size-fits-all world.

• TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    Absolutely it's ok. I have an autoimmune disease, and some days I can only do 5 min. at a time, but spaced throughout the day, my totals add up. It doesn't matter how long your endurance is at this point, it's the exercise that's important. Do what you can do, when you can do it and build from there.
  • kayleexbabeex
    kayleexbabeex Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes it's for weight loss, I do plan to increase the time when I get more and more used to it but at the moment I do find splitting it up better. Thats why I was wondering if I still have the same benefits if I'd didn't split the time up. Thankyou for your replies and some good tips too! X
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

?? @MeanderingMammal, I wasn't trying to poison the well.
    I wasn't the one actually challenged by @BrianSharpe as I wasn't the poster who suggested interval work to the OP ( in this thread ;) )....and thought my post made it clear that I was joking around with @BrianSharpe ( who I have found can very adequately defend himself ) and not actually trying to fight with him (which he knows).

It's nice that you want everyone to stay on topic though and stay relevant for the OP. I agree we should stay on task, lol, hence why I also gave very relevant and on-topic advice to the OP in my post - by answering his question. I'm hurt that you would suggest my advice to the OP was not helpful. ;)

Now this post IS off topic, but it looks like the OP got the answers s/he needed so I'm not overly concerned, lol.