Protein Rich snacks

Options
I am not eating enough protein, and way too much fat. I need ideas for high protein/low fat snacks and meals. Anyone?

Replies

• heyspearsy
    heyspearsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1% Cottage cheese + berries...one of my favorites. I also add cottage cheese to any pasta I eat.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Jerky (any kind)
    Almonds
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Non fat greek yogurt, low fat string cheese
  • Kie_Hughes
    Kie_Hughes Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes
    Protein fluff
    Greek yog and protein
    Cashews
    Almonds
    Protein bars
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Turkey
  • steve_woodson
    steve_woodson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    roast some garbanzo beans, great snack
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Jerky (any kind)
    Almonds

Since they are over on fat, almonds are not a good choice, neither are other seeds or nuts.
    I would suggest:
    Lean meats
    eggs, egg whites
    Greek Yogurt
    cottage cheese
    edamame
    protein shake
    smoothie
  • punkyb07
    punkyb07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There's this Triple Zero Greek Yogurt by Dannon. Has 15g protein, 0g fat, sweetened with stevia. I get a case of it at Sam's Club.
  • EatKleanGetLean
    EatKleanGetLean Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    adhunley wrote: »
    I am not eating enough protein, and way too much fat. I need ideas for high protein/low fat snacks and meals. Anyone?

Why are you wanting to avoid fat? There are a lot of great foods with healthy fats that your body needs though they do usually tend to be higher in calories. Just because a food is fat free or low fat doesn't mean it is healthy. Perfect example would be red vines licorice, 0 fat per serving but about 25g sugar per serving. Sugar and excess calories are the main culprits in the fat business. Just food for thought :smile:
  • Kie_Hughes
    Kie_Hughes Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Jerky (any kind)
    Almonds

Since they are over on fat, almonds are not a good choice, neither are other seeds or nuts.
    I would suggest:
    Lean meats
    eggs, egg whites
    Greek Yogurt
    cottage cheese
    edamame
    protein shake
    smoothie

A small handful is fine. They contribute towards healthy fats for macros
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Why are you wanting to avoid fat? There are a lot of great foods with healthy fats that your body needs though they do usually tend to be higher in calories. Just because a food is fat free or low fat doesn't mean it is healthy. Perfect example would be red vines licorice, 0 fat per serving but about 25g sugar per serving. Sugar and excess calories are the main culprits in the fat business. Just food for thought :smile:

I don't think OP is avoiding fat, she mentioned that she was consistently over her fat macro, while also being consistently low on protein. It seems like she's just trying to find balance with her macros.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Kie_Hughes wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    Jerky (any kind)
    Almonds

I would suggest:
    Lean meats
    eggs, egg whites
    Greek Yogurt
    cottage cheese
    edamame
    protein shake
    smoothie

A small handful is fine. They contribute towards healthy fats for macros

Yes, but she already mentioned she is eating too much fat, and needs protein ideas. You don't get much protein/calorie from nuts and seeds, they are a much better source of fat than they are protein.
  • stewoolley
    stewoolley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt and protein is the one.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes
    Protein bars
    Make some cookies or something out of protein powder
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
  • adhunley
    adhunley Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I need to watch my unhealthy fat intake. My cholesterol and blood pressure are both high. I love avocados and olive oil :smile:
  • adhunley
    Options

I don't think OP is avoiding fat, she mentioned that she was consistently over her fat macro, while also being consistently low on protein. It seems like she's just trying to find balance with her macros.

Exactly!
  • adhunley
    Options
    punkyb07 wrote: »
    There's this Triple Zero Greek Yogurt by Dannon. Has 15g protein, 0g fat, sweetened with stevia. I get a case of it at Sam's Club.

That sounds good, I'll check it out! Thank you.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt. 120 calories, 16 grams protein, 0 fat.
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I usually snack on some home made Tuna patties / Tuna Cakes + bowl of low fat greek yoghurt. Can keep me satisfied for a good 3-4 hrs.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Tuna on salad or crackers, mix with avocado instead of Mayo
    String cheese
    Cottage cheese and/or Greek yogurt mixed with fruit/protein powder/jelly/etc... I prefer the 0% for both of these
    Add cheese to your meals
    Add egg whites to your egg dishes
    Add ham or chicken to scrambled eggs
    Hard boiled eggs are easy quick and you can make ahead
    Double your meat portion at dinner
    Roll turkey/ham/roast beef with a cheese slice inside a lettuce leaf
    Homemade quick quesadilla of choice (tortilla, cheese, meat, veggie & nuke or cook in a pan).
    Make egg, turkey, cheese breakfast sandwich.