Replies

• phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks....how many calories?
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I bought my Dunkin Donuts ground coffee yesterday and did a 1/2 version in a pitcher. Can't wait to see how it comes out.
  • Elodie104
    Elodie104 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Christy Jordan from SoutherPlate.com also recently posted about "cold brew coffee." Her recipes is scaled down a bit- she calls it coffee concentrate (mix with equal parts water or milk). It's delicious - same as PW I'm sure. I just made some with flavored coffee (Chocolate Coconut :) and put 1 cup coffee grounds and 1 quart water into a French Press and let it sit 8-12 hrs. I think it's a little easier to strain this way.

http://www.southernplate.com/2009/03/todays-home-brew-secret-to-great-iced-coffee-without-great-expense.html

Thanks for sharing!!
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I don't cold brew my coffee, but I have seen the Pioneer woman's site! I just make sure to do the ice cube trick w/ leftover coffee (just pour leftover coffee in ice cube trays and freeze, then put in Ziploc bags).

I prefer my coffee hot and black :laugh: , but once in a while I make the iced coffee. I found a sugar-free coffee hazelnut (and french vanilla) creamer at Aldi's (Friendly Farms brand) that only has 15 calories per tablespoon. So I use 1 Tablespoon of the creamer, 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond breeze almond milk, and coffee and ice to fill the cup. Then a little bit of sugar-free hazelnut syrup. Less than 30 calories for a sweet treat! :heart:

Snack
    Blue Diamond - Almond Breeze - Refrigerated Vanilla Unsweetened, 0.25 cup (240 mL) 10 1 1 0 0 45
    Aldi - Friendly Farms - Hazelnut Coffee Creamer - Sugarfree, 1 tbsp 15 1 1 0 0 5
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 cup (8 fl oz) 2 0 0 0 0 5
    Davinci Gourmet Sugar Free - Hazelnut Syrup, 1 Tbsp. (1 fl. oz) 0 0 0 0 0 5
    Add Food Quick Tools
    Quick add caloriesRemember mealCopy yesterdayCopy from dateCopy to date
    27 2 2 0 0 60

27 calories/ 2g carb/ 2g fat/ 60mg sodium
  • ifeelsqueaky
    ifeelsqueaky Posts: 193
    Options
    This looks great! I love iced coffee but refuse to pay ridiculous prices for it in cafes so rarely have it. Definitely bookmarked!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Looks good, will have to try it of course without the extra sweet add ins, darn it..........
  • CajunCubsFan
    CajunCubsFan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It looks hard.......
  • ParisPenguin
    ParisPenguin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds AH-MAZING! I love me some coffee any way I can have it:)

Looking forward to trying this one!
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • joeg51
    joeg51 Posts: 3
    Options
    Bump
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday and I have to say AMAZING. Strong and bold with NO bitterness.

I wasn't sure that I wanted to commit to 2 gallons of coffee mix, so I made a smaller batch.
    I measured 4oz of good quality ground coffee into the bottom of a 3 quart pitcher. Added 2 quarts of water and let it sit 8+ hours.

Then I strained it through a mesh strainer lined with paper towels into a 2 quart pitcher.

Three family members tried it this morning ... one with almond milk and splenda, one with cream and sugar, one black.
    All three agreed that it's the best iced coffee we've had in a long time, including commercially purchased.

Gotta go make another batch for tomorrow!

Thank you, thank you OP for posting this information!
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you guys don't have a lot of time in the morning, I brew my coffee at night (I have a Keurig -- I like to do coconut or chocolate glazed donut flavors) and stick it in the fridge. In the morning add some Splenda and a splash of skim milk. I find it much easier to drink and much more refreshing than piping hot coffee. If you want it colder you can add ice.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I love love love Mc Donalds sugar free vanilla Iced coffee. But darn, for a large it has 120 cal. Med has 90 cal. So When I have extra calories avail, I do get it for my treat.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make a mocha protein shake with my extra coffee:

8oz cold coffee
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (depending on serving size)
    4oz skim milk or almond milk
    splash of creamer optional

It gives me a wonderful afternoon pick me up.
  • TanajaP
    TanajaP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i think i will be making some iced coffee today!
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am drinking one right now! Super easy, super cheap, and awesome!
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    It seems like alot of work, but its really not! I threw some together this morning while I was feeding the cats (which is WAY more work for my little devils - i mean angels :-) ) . I mixed 2 cups of coffee in 8 cups water in a large pyrex container, threw some saran wrap on the top, and let it sit on the counter all day. When i got home from work, I put a strainer over a bowl, put paper towels in the strainer (this actually worked better and faster than cheesecloth), and pour it in! While I'm fixing dinner, i let it strain, and then pour that into a pitcher and stick in the fridge. For me, this makes enough for a few days worth of coffee. You could make more, but since I'm the only drinking it, I don't want to take up that much space in the fridge. I wondered about it tasting stale, but surprisingly the cold brew method didn't get that for me! I don't really have a good palate for coffee, so maybe this isn't the most fresh but it tastes great to me! I really enjoy the HEB brand Taste of San Antonio coffee....might be cheap, but again, I'm just not that good at telling what good coffee is!

I thought it looked like too much work until I read this. Doesn't look too bad now...lol. Thanks for sharing!
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering who has time to do all of that. Thank goodness for my Keurig that makes it for me:-)

I have a Keurig too, but the idea of having premade iced coffee was too hard to pass up. It didn't take much time at all...it was easy peasy in fact. Dump a couple of gallons f water together with a package of ground coffee into a container and let it sit for hours. Then just strain it into another container and stick it in the fridge! I bought a 2 gallon container from Walmart that has a spigot and is designed to store efficiently in the fridge, so now I have the SMOOTHEST iced coffee I've ever tasted all cold and waiting for me! Big challeng now is to not overdo...it goes down so smooth!

My Keurig is still going to have to do its thing (got to have hot coffee in the morning), but this coldbrew method is going to provide me with great iced coffee during the summer...we're going to see triple digit temps in Texas this week, so it's not a moment too soon.